why hate coyotes

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gogo

why hate coyotes

Post by gogo »

I know coyotes kill farm animals and a few have attacked humans, and some have killed family pets but the hatred for these coyotes seem extreme.Bears and wolves etc do the same things but are not hated like coyotes. Dont get me wrong if they bother my family or pets I would shoot them in a second, but why such deep hatred for them?
warningshot

Re: why hate coyotes

Post by warningshot »

they play an important role in controlling numbers of other animals but i think if there numbers get to high they become pests so their numbers need to be controlled too
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

gogo wrote:I know coyotes kill farm animals and a few have attacked humans, and some have killed family pets but the hatred for these coyotes seem extreme.Bears and wolves etc do the same things but are not hated like coyotes. Dont get me wrong if they bother my family or pets I would shoot them in a second, but why such deep hatred for them?
I spend my days listening to peoples "tales", my phone rings daily with people who normally love wildlife telling me tales about coyotes with hatred and terror in their voices. I am not forming my opinion off of what a city dude publicises in a newspaper, I talk to the people who find parts of their cats in the lawn, fire up the tractor to move a half eaten calf/sheep/pony..
Those who once loved every one of our earth bound creatures are now developing a bit of fear towards a wild animal, and fear usually quickly translates to hatred.
Me? I remember a couple years back I bribed my 2 year old to switch from diapers to underwear, the deal was she got a kitten when the deed was done. She earned her cat in a few short days.
Before that kitten had a chance to turn in to a cat my daughter carried her with pride, it was a symbol to my wife and I, as well as to my daughter. At two and a half years old my daughter was given the chance to watch a coyote come and take her kitten away, as a Dad I got to watch my daughters face and be the one to explain the whole ordeal to her as to why she would no longer be able to carry her kitten around by the tail.
That was when it turned from a sport to a mission for me, hatred? Yup.

Coyotes have a very important role in our ecosystem, but currently, around here, they think they have gained a link in the food chain. They need to be set back a notch, reminded that they have other things to eat than my kids cats.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Amen to that warningshot, Pydpiper, and bugs. I totally agree and I think more would agree than would disagree.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

As hunters we typically don't "hate" animals, there are times we get pretty mad when they disturb an area we have scouted or hunted, but hatred usually isn't the actual feeling we get
From an average country dweller, a non hunter, animal lover comes fear of the animal, they read it in the papers, they see it on TV and sometimes hear the horrific tales from the camo clad hunter on their doorstep looking for permission.
We as people tend to confuse fear with hatred.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

I respect all animals even coyote I used to root for him when he went after the roadrunner :lol: but they are getting bolder and are ruining some of my turkey hunting spots and he is just doing his best to survive and I will do my best to bring his numbers down a notch :lol:
The best things in life are not things!!
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Here in my part of Va.they have either eaten or ran off the fox's that controlled rodent's, some area's small house dogs don't make it back in at night after being let out, cats, every now and then a calf is found dead with yote tracks around, if it's seen around here and it can be killed it is, I've seen them after turkey's and quite sure they get there share.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I admit, I hate 'em. I hate the fact that they eat like kings when fawns are born. Most people say yotes dont chase full grown deer, and maybe thats true. but not often do you hear about all the newborns getting slaughtered that are hiding out in the grasses. You can bet those buggers bring down the deer numbers that hunters complained about the past few years. I see yote tracks near my hunting grounds and I get mad. Truth is I dont have 1000's of acres to hunt, and where there is a coyote, deer are not. I say: Kill a yote, let the fox take care of rodents....

Oh ya...... and they stink too :wink:
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

I don't hate the tasty critters!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
weezy

Post by weezy »

Ive only seen 1 coyote since ive started hunting,he walked by me at 10 yards during shotgun season.It stopped and looked at me for a few seconds then slowly walked off.He wasnt even afraid of me.I wasnt afraid of him either with a 12 gauge in my hands but would never kill one unless it tryed to attack me or my pets or if they are really hurting the deer population in the area.Which in my area they are scarce.I see way more foxes than I do coyotes....Also im always afraid if I would decide to kill one it would end up being someones scruffy looking pet dog thats roaming through the woods. (I know this seems funny but I have seen quite a few dogs that could easily pass as a coyote)
Migabby

Post by Migabby »

On the land where I hunt we have seen a dramatic drop in our Deer and turkey population over the past few years. I can honestly say this has nothing to do with over kill on our part as land owners and Hunters.

At the same time an ever increasing signs of Coyote populations. I have tried to Hunt and call them in without success or even a chance at getting a shot. I am now trying to get trappers to come over to our place to help without success so far.

I read recently in a local paper from my county that even if you where to shoot 80% of the Coyote population for three years you would not see a increase in the deer population for a much longer lenght of time.

We have found fawns torn apart every year around our land. You don't dare shoot a deer and look for it in the morning. Because you'll only get bones and hair if your do. They are one of Gods creatures but certainlly not my favorite.

Migabby
Gold Tips
Slicks
Proud Groundpounder Mount Owner
Proud Boo String Owner
birddog10

Post by birddog10 »

On my 30 acre parcel surrounded by acres upon acres of farmland and woodlots there are plenty of coyotes. I mow walking paths throughout the summer and they leave scat there, almost teasing me that they know that I know that they are there. My son walked up on one once and I saw one attempting to stalk my turkey decoy. My closest encounter was about 2 years ago. My friend and I were pheasant hunting with our dogs, heading straight into a 20 to 30 mile wind. My Brit locked dead on point. I told my young son to walk in and watch the bird flush. He didn't want to so I moved in only to see a brown thing take off running. At first I thought it was a rabbit (I always tell my dog when she gets bored and starts pointing rabbits, "Stop lowering your standards, you're a Brittany not a beagle." :wink:) Anyway, it was a coyote. It took off through some sorghum and that was it. Our dogs chased after it, we called them back, and it was gone. I know they're out there. I've found rabbit fur and duck and (unfortunately) pheasant feathers but for the most part they haven't been a problem. I don't like them getting "my" pheasants but when my son asks why I don't shoot them I have to remind him that they really aren't "my" pheasants and that coyote has a right to them as much as I do. I believe most hatred of coyotes comes from ignorance. I always try to remember Chief Seattle's thoughts: "Man did not weave the web of life; he's merely a strand in it."
evaughan

Post by evaughan »

I have never posted on this forum before but have always been impressed by the balanced, intelligent approach of the members here and their desire for quality information. Below is a link to an article posted on the QDMA website which basically outlines their postion on the relationship between quality deer management and coyotes. If you enjoy articles on ecology it is worth the read whether you agree withthe conclusion or not.

http://www.qdma.com/articles/details.asp?id=59

It is worth noting that the recent surge in coyote attacks may be bringing to light a need for aggressive coyote management which is seperate issue form whether or not coyote pops should be managed for the benefit if deer.
excal vortex w/ vari-zone
custom 2219's
BOO custom string
gobblestalker custom calls
WMU's 80,84,86
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

evaughan wrote:I have never posted on this forum before but have always been impressed by the balanced, intelligent approach of the members here and their desire for quality information. Below is a link to an article posted on the QDMA website which basically outlines their postion on the relationship between quality deer management and coyotes. If you enjoy articles on ecology it is worth the read whether you agree withthe conclusion or not.

http://www.qdma.com/articles/details.asp?id=59

It is worth noting that the recent surge in coyote attacks may be bringing to light a need for aggressive coyote management which is seperate issue form whether or not coyote pops should be managed for the benefit if deer.

Terrific first post, welcome aboard.
WMU 91
Boo string
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

these are coyote tracks to the deer we had to leave out overnight in the bush last year ....i hated coyotes that day . for sure ....but they were just doing what they are supposed to do ...