How to remove the insert from a carbon arrow for lumenoks.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

outdoors_al

How to remove the insert from a carbon arrow for lumenoks.

Post by outdoors_al »

Hi, I've read allot of posts on here about removing inserts, none that I saw had experience removing them from carbon arrows. I just purchased BC Lumenoks and just finished installing them in my Firebolt arrows.

I tried two ways of removing them, boiling water and open flame.

For both ways, I took my field tips and screwed them into the inserts on the back of the arrow.

For boiling water, just put the field tip into the hot water, I put it in for about 1 1/2 and then with a pair of pliers pull on the field tip, I found my strongest grip came from holding the arrow just infront of the vanes. If the insert doesn't pull out, just put it back in the water for a little longer. You'll notice that while you are heating up the field tip, the vanes will become wrinkled, as soon as they cooled down on my arrows, the wrinkles went away.

For open flame, I just used a small propane torch. I put the field tip half way into the flame, rolling the arrow so that all sides of the field tip heated up equally. This method does not take long to heat up so after maybe 20 - 30 seconds, use your pliers and pull on the field tip, if it doesn not come out, put it back in the flame for another 5 - 8 seconds. This method does not take as long to heat up as the water so be carefull!

Once you have the inserts out, very very lightly, take a flat piece of fine grit sandpaper and gently turn the end of the arrow on the paper, this cleans off any residual glue. Then take a drill bit that just fits into the arrow and turn it in your hands, this cleans any glue inside the shaft. All thats left is to insert your lumenok.

I personally liked the open flame method best, its quick, you don't have to wait for water to boil. Keep in mind that the inserts do take a little bit of strength to pull out.

I have the firebolts that came with my Vortex package, I bought the BC Lumenoks that fit the Gold Tip Laser II bolt. On the website it says it fits a .300 inside diameter shaft, when they arrived, the package says they fit a .301 inside diameter shaft. They fit and have worked fine on every shot I have taken with them target shooting but they fit very very tight, when I buy 3 more for the rest of my arrows, I will seriously consider getting the lumenoks that fit the Carbon Impact Ultrabolt which fit a .299 inside diameter shaft.

Hope this helps!
Pydpiper

Re: How to remove the insert from a carbon arrow for lumenoks.

Post by Pydpiper »

I like the open flame technique too, but I use a 4" length of threaded rod, heat transfers a bit quicker and allows you to keep the flame a bit further from the carbon.
For the inside of the shaft I have switched to a brass barrel brush, a slightly less chance of removing material from the arrow. I used to use sandpaper too until someone (awshucks I think?) brought up the brass brush.
Had a chance to try them yet?
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Phoenix_Tom

Re: How to remove the insert from a carbon arrow for lumenoks.

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

I use Pydpiper's method and it works great. Just don't cook that long screw or threaded rod! If the .301" Luminocks are too tight try removing more residue inside the shaft. They should be tight though. If they're loose they could fall out or work only intermittently. Like Bstout says, they fit perfectly in a new bare shaft GTL II.
2008 Phoenix w/ Varizone Scope
FFF String (Boo string wannabee)
Groundpounder Mount
Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout RF
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s