Must haves for turkey hunting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dutchhunter

Re: Must haves for turkey hunting

Post by dutchhunter »

hey bugs get your self one hen decoy bobel head if you can find one .get a good wooded boat padel call and a good set of camo with a face mask .after this you can add to your calls .a mouth call and a push pull call can be great for new turkey hunters good luck DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
Tom

Post by Tom »

Camo is a good thing to have, but movement or the lack of movement is more important. I have called turkeys in wearing only regular clothing. Being still is most important, and with that ........ Thermacell is very important to me as there will be no need to swat bugs.

After that, box call is the easiest to learn then a paddle call. A single hen decoy is good, but decoys can either work great or they could even bust your set up (seems to depend on the day). Your Deer camo will probably work good enough as well as a deer blind (pop-up or natural).

If you have to invest into one thing which can cost $ would be a GOOD VEST. Lots of specialized pockets for calls, shells, lunches ect (holds things firmly so less noise when walking). Also the shoulder straps should be wide so when your carrying the turkey in the vest, the straps will not dig into your shoulders.

Hope this helps you some. Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
saxman

Post by saxman »

Turkeys
You must have Turkeys
Scout,Scout,Scout,Hunt,Scout Scout,Hunt
Don't be a huntin where there aint no turkeys
Learn how to play a mouth call :D
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Bugs all great answers two that I will add if you know the birds are there patience and persistance :lol: Too many time I have got up to leave and a bird has come in silent(busted)

If I only waited fifteen more minutes sooo that leads to the next must have something to avoid numb bum a good dry comfy seat!!And if ya find one let me know :lol:
The best things in life are not things!!
roly

Post by roly »

I agree with Sax learn the mouth call.

But don't over use it!
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

bug proof head net and do not forget gloves the blood suckers will drive you nuts.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
maxman

Post by maxman »

For the mosquitos a Therma Cell works great.
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Here are some great tips from the guys at huntingnet.com. They talk about safety, patterning your gun, how to clean a turkey, just a lot of great information http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/specifi ... ctics-107/ Bugs, most importantly, enjoy the beautiful sunrise of another spring day as the woods comes to life and be careful out there :wink: .
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

bugs wrote:Just starting out what is the gear I should deffinitely have (other than bolts and bullets :lol: )? It gets expensive as you all know so I will buy in order of what will help me the most.
A fuffy pillow and a blanket are needed first off, Coarse is a real snoozer! Mine was 8 hours and could have been put into two hours. LOL I learned sit your back to a tree wider than you, and don't crawl up a hill holding a decoy in the air. If you see another hunter don't move, make verbal contact that he sees you sitting there first before you get up. Think that's all of it. :) :) You are now ready to write exam. :) :) I am getting tired just thinking about it. LOL
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:) You forgot one of the other questions Wheelie. :)
What three colours you shouldn`t where in the bush ?
1. RED
2. WHITE
3. BLUE
4. ALL OF THE ABOVE

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Doe Master wrote::) You forgot one of the other questions Wheelie. :)
What three colours you shouldn`t where in the bush ?
1. RED
2. WHITE
3. BLUE
4. ALL OF THE ABOVE

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Forgot about that. Have to leave my American Flag hat home next time and not put on my red lipstick. LOL Good thing I never ran into my irritated chinese friend turkey hunting!!!!!! LOL
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Patience!!!!

These birds can be very reluctant to come into a setup. Don't over call if they seem hung up or unwilling to come in any closer. They may be in a strutting area and are waiting for the hen (you) to come to them.

I have had great success with killing birds by calling until they hang up, and then I stop or just give a few purrs. I believe it makes them think that the hen has left or doesn't care about the tom. I have had them sneak in 20-30 minutes after I put the call down and just sit tight.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Thermacell, best turkey hunting tool made.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string