Things sometimes taken for granted

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

theoldarcher

Things sometimes taken for granted

Post by theoldarcher »

Yesterday morning about 8 o’clock, I stepped out onto the front porch to smoke as I do most every morning, when the sound of a lonesome hen up on the ridge caught my attention. The sounds came low and slow to begin with, as she started her tree calling before getting ready to fly down for the day.

Much to my surprise in the distance the sound of a gobble echoed through the pines. After a few minutes the calls of several hens now grew louder… and the distant goggle was suddenly closer.

The old bird firing off at the hens got the attention of two younger toms and they started firing back at the older bird. For about 10 minuets the woods in front of the house was filled with the sounds of hens and gobblers in their early spring routine.

Sitting in my chair on the front porch, I couldn’t help but think about where I would be sitting at this coming Saturday morning, ready to ambush the old tom as he made his way from his roost to the hens.

Before going back into the house, I said a short prayer and thanked God for the opportunity to hear the sounds of nature and wished everyone could be so lucky. God bless all and good hunting.
lscha

Re: Things sometimes taken for granted

Post by lscha »

Isn't it amazing that when you hear and see things like that you wish there was someone else to sleeve-tug and share it with? I know that feeling. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
longshot44

Post by longshot44 »

Amen!
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Boy you know it to think that here in Ont that sound was never heard by my great grampa or my grandfather and we have been blessed in the morning with the sound of the thunder chicken thanks to many hunters, clubs and organizations.

And now I have shared this with my son and to see his face when that tom out in the distance fires up priceless!! :D
The best things in life are not things!!
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

I agree, I love the sounds and smell of a spring morning. I didn't see this thread before responding to Bug's thread :o . We all must be in the same mindset this spring. God sure knew what he was doing when he created us and this place. Someone once told me that if you step away from a wild turkey in the sunshine, you can see every color of a rainbow on his back :D . Ain't God good :wink: .
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
saxman

Post by saxman »

Well said.
I put some to bed the other night.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
michhunter

Post by michhunter »

yes the sound of turkeys only few more weeks for me here in michigan and ill be out after the big ole tom with my new exomax cant wait. you cant explain the feeling you get when you here that ole tom let loose. goodluck to all
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:) The thing I enjoy the most is sharing that magical moment with someone first thing in the morning . It can be a father , a brother, or a friend . It still means the same to me . :)
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
maxman

Post by maxman »

Nothing like the sound of nature waking up to put a smile on your face. I think the best times I've had are with my sons and grandsons answering the multitude of questions. The best one being "Grandpa, whats that ?" Doesn't get much better than that. :D
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Living in the country and spending my days working in various homes in the city I have learned to never take what we have for granted. I go from house to house and I always look to see what people experience from their windows or yard.
One thing I have noticed is that there are many, many people who do not want to see the natural parts of things, they thrive to be surrounded by concrete and steel and see the country as a lesser way of life.
I was born and raised in Detroit, to me the "woods" was when I could see two trees at the same time. Now I get a ball in my gut just thinking about going to town.
Last year at this time we sat and watched a huge flock of turkeys in the yard, they were all over our archery stand and yard. Although I expect to see that here and at times count on it, it is always the same breath taking feeling to lift my head and see something in my yard that I know is special.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
lscha

Post by lscha »

Pyd, you and I are almost from the same neighborhood. That's the same way I feel and never get tired of looking out of our windows.
Mom still lives in concrete heaven and I visit her often. We always have a hootin' good time but I'm always sighing with relaxation by the time I'm north of Romeo.
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

lscha wrote:Pyd, you and I are almost from the same neighborhood. That's the same way I feel and never get tired of looking out of our windows.
Mom still lives in concrete heaven and I visit her often. We always have a hootin' good time but I'm always sighing with relaxation by the time I'm north of Romeo.
Increasingly small world Laura, you and I both come from the same neck of the woods! My father currently lives in Romeo, always complaining about the deer poop under his crab apple tree.
Long live the Roost! :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string