Wisconsin Bowhunters association WBA

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

awshucks

Re: Wisconsin Bowhunters association WBA

Post by awshucks »

I hope the pro-crossbow crowd does not do what was already suggested for Mississippi. Over on Crossbow Nation, a member posted that all crossbowers whether residents of MS or not should email their state officials asking for crossbow expansion.
What's the diff in that and y'all posting NABC talking points that list 30-50 Kool-Aid drinkers orgs that have signed on to your stance? You know, the one where you can't actually come out and say, "My deer, My season, My way?" Those talking points seem to have your signature all over them, lol.

Then, you have the cajones to come on here and profess ignorance to what's going on in other states.

!st, you were a mod on an xbow forum, pulled some of my posts countering your superior weapon analogy w/ facts and data. Then, you brag about joining tha ACF? At least Terry Williams admitted he joined to pump DJH on membership numbers, what's your ulterior motive?

Here's a little refresher course for you. Not that you need it, but seems germain to the topics at hand. In 2003, xbows were only legal for full archery season in 3 states. Since then, that's expanded to 14-15. No season or bag limits ever shortened due to full xbow inclusion.

All of those states had guys such as yourself posting constantly as you are here, " But we're different". Not!! You, as a spokesperson for WBH, may play dumb, [may come natural]but I can assure you, your DNR is not.

You've spouted off about Roy Case being instrumental in getting a bow season established in Wi 70 years ago, then data comes out y'all had the 4th highest bow harvest in history and you try to play us for a 'no deer' situation in Wi?

For a while, y'all hung your hat's on the "Stryker". 405 fps. Gone pecan now, 13# xbows at $1300 didn't pass muster. Then your next hat rack was the Tac-15. Brought out needing an Ar-15 lower receiver by a guy that took a mulie at 106 yds w/ a vert of his design. Hello, ethics committee?

There's an old saying, "You can fool the fans, but not the players." You sir, are in the wrong ball park, no better a player than you are!!!

I don't know or care what WBH is paying their 'lobbyist', but you might consider spending a tad more time w/ him. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"Eze 18:21"
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
You're a phony! I don't have you confused w/ anyone, I've had your number for a good while now. :lol:
BUS314

Post by BUS314 »

Hey rancid, why don't bring ya self down here to SE Oklahoma & let me show ya some prime blackwater swamps I hunt? It would be a PLEASURE.
AKA-ChoctawBusGuy
Excal Phoenix
VariZone
GT II's w/ brass inserts
SlickTrick 125's
STS
Boo String
Double Bull DarkHorse
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

BUS314 wrote:Hey rancid, why don't bring ya self down here to SE Oklahoma & let me show ya some prime blackwater swamps I hunt? It would be a PLEASURE.
Ain't y'all got enough snakes in Ok, w/o importation? :mrgreen: Riddle me this oh Rancid one, what's the diff between a newbie archery deer hunter buying a set up compound or an Excal Vixen, and being able to peg a paper plate at 20-30 yds right off the bat? Minute of deer both.

Doesn't the newbie have the same rights to the resource as y'all WBH members? All 3% of ya? Remember, in the land of the open minded, the harvest stats are the same for both bows.

Times are tough, lot's of folks out of work, some may need the meat. Not many have your beef, lol.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

rancid crabtree wrote:
Riflemanz wrote:. Wisconsin law allows seniors over 65 and handicapped individuals the use of crossbows within the archery deer season as a way of offering them the ability to participate on par with the able bodied.

So there is no real good reason why there is an age limit associated with the use of a crossbow in Wisconsin, after all a crossbow only puts you at par with a vert bow. No real advantage is what you are saying.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Rancid,

Let me lay something on you. You might want to be lying down when I type this...

BOWHUNTING IS NOT HARD..

It's not hard to learn and it's not hard to do.

Now, once upon a time it was. Back when we all shot a stick and string with cedar-shafted arrows with those confounded Zwickey Deltas that no one could get to fly straight.

If a bowhunter cut a track of a deer he was really doing something. Tell someone you saw a buck and you'd have 4 or 5 guys right around you on the next hunt.

There were very few if any deer to hunt in most locations. To kill my first one I had to drive 11 hours to Pennsylvania where they actually had deer. Forget portable treestands, they weren't invented yet. Neither was the Hollis Allen's Arrow Launching Device aka The Compound Bow. Which he invented for physically challenged bohunters. He had arthritic shoulders.

NOR any of all those other fancy doo-dads that are hung all over what people call bows today. Want to learn about bowhunting in those days? You better know someone that did it or you would have to learn on your own by trial and error and error and error.

There were very few books on the subject and Bowhunter magazine had not even started to press yet. Big buck videos? Get real. If you saw any bowhunting 'movies' it was Fred Bear on The American Sportsmen.

Fast forward to today....

Deer are everywhere. They are becoming hoofed rats in some locations, pests, and vermin to some. If a bowhunter comes in from a hunt and doesn't see 5 or 6 he thinks he had a bad hunt.

The bowhunter has the latest and greatest arrow-slinging bow with every imaginable doo-dad there is on it. That bow now breaks over by 80% OR MORE and he triggers it with a $100 release aid. No more holding back that full 50 pounds and getting the shakes while waiting for that deer to take one more step. "Take you time Mr. Buck I'm only holding back 5 pounds".

Of course he is outfitted in all the latest deer hunting camo with scent suppressant underwear. His stand is a $250 climber that he can sit all day over his Buck Forage Oat food/killing plot. He has every little stake ranged in with his range finder. Any deer that walks out is dead meat. He tooled in there with his $10,000 ATV.

Did I mention that he knew there was a big buck using the area? Did he find out the old fashioned way by scouting? Nope. He had out several $500 trail cameras and got his picture and date and time he was where. He has “patterned him”.

Deer are everywhere so he can afford to be choosy. Gone are the days when any deer with a bow was a trophy. It has to be P & Y are it isn't worthy anymore.

Now all this gear to do WHAT?

TO MAKE IT EASIER FOR HIM TO KILL A DEER.

Now you can beat your chest and say how hard bowhunting is but it really isn’t anymore. We have taken the challenge out of it. Technology has caught up with bowhunting.

If you are a youngster you probably don't have a clue to what I am talking about since this is all you have ever known, but the old-timers on here know what I am talking about..

Now this is not bad-mouthing bowhunting as I am a bowhunter. I am just telling you from 41+ years of bowhunting experience what I have seen and what I see bowhunting is today.

It ain't tough anymore.

Now what does this have to do with crossbows? We have made bowhunting and the equipment easy and easier. We can congratulate ourselves in the fact that compounds are equivalent to crossbows in ease of use.

To say anything else is being in a state of denial..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Yes, that learning a compound is real tough...

first deer on first hunt

my cousin (seth) came home with me after school yesterday.he said he wanted to go hunt with me..he had never been bow hunting or shot a bow until about 3:30 yeasterday afternoon.he shot my bow(pse typhoon) for about 30 min.s and could group hit arrows in about a 4inch group at 20 yards so i told him if a spike came out he could shoot at it.well i have my ameristep blind in the edge of a 60 acre wheat field.every time i have been in that blind i see 15+ deer and 10+ within shooting distance.so we loaded up about 4 o clock and took the video camera and tripod and a extra seat(a five gallon bucket)for seth.we got to the blind about 5 and set up the camera and got everything ready.then 3 does came out and ate rite in front of us(i put corn out before we got in the blind at about 15 yards)then 3 more showed up.well they ate for at least 20mins and then started lookin in the brush like something was fixin to come out.then they just meander off down the tree line.i look up and at about 25 yrds a spike is just walkin rite to us. i gave seth the bow as soon as he got the camera and tripod set out of the way. the spike walks rite to us and stands broad side at about 12yrds. seth draws the bow aims and whack he hits the spike it takes off like a striped ass ape and runs about 15yrds stops takes two staggerin steps sideways and falls over DEAD and never gave a twich.well after about five mins he said our 30mins has to be up and then i explained the process of bleeding a deer out no matter how close he falls.(and i wanted to see the bigger buck that i had been trying to kill for about a week)well he shot the spike at about 6 20 less than 2 hours had he spend bow hunting and since it didnt get dark until about 7:15 or so we stayed in the stand about 30 mins after the spike the big buck comes into the field and passes at about 40 yards just a few yards out of range.we he runs does all over the field and then goes to the far side so we crawl out of the tent and film the find of the deer.he shot it with a 100 grain 3 blade muzzy BH and a 5575 gold-tip arrow and about 60# he didnt get a pass through but he hit the deer rite in the white spot under the left leg the arrow came out about half way down his ribs and stuck out about 4 inchs or so when the deer had turn to run he broke my arrow smooth off and almost in half when we got the deer home and guted it i took the heart out and he had cut the bottom of the heart with 2 of the 3 blades opening up both of the bigger chambers of the heart..it was one heck of a shot......one of the best shots i have ever seen(and im not tryin to start the whole double lung VS heart shot debate)it was a good shot and even better recovery.we could see the spot where he had laid down in the weeds about 20 yrds for the blind. it was the greatest hunt i have ever taken anyone on and by far the quickest time from the first time to ever shoot a bow to the time you kill your first buck

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthrea ... t+and+deer
Woody Williams

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

jh45gun wrote:Very well said Woody you said what I was trying to say in a much better way I suspect even Rancid can understand that and not be able to argue with it as it is the truth!
The "truth" doesn't stand in these guy's way..They aren't fooling anyone but themselves and their buds....
Woody Williams

Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

[quote"] Do you think the current deer population situation makes this a good time to introduce a crossbow law change?"[/quote]

Yes! Limit each wisconsin deer hunter to 1 deer this year with whatever weapon they would like to use until the population rebounds.I only deer hunt with a bow so if 1 deer is what it takes to bring back the herd i'm for it!
jh45gun wrote:
By the way do you work? You spend more time online then most of us retired folk?
LOL
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

rancid crabtree wrote: Easier than a longbow and recurve....... I agree. The bells and whistels help with aiming but not pulling it back. A 70 compound still requires an archer to draw a 70 pound bow. At the end he will get to a let-off point but not until he draws the peak weight. This requires practice and strength building.
Oh, pooey.

70 pounds is nothing for an average man even if he doesn't shoot a lot. I shot over 70 pounds all my bowhunting days I am not that big of man.
I completely agree. That is why the law is what it is. That is why nobody is excluded from Bowhunting in WI a 30 pound may take a small person a bit of practice and time to build into but it will easily kill a deer. One simply needs to know the limits of their effective range. My sister has built practices herself into a 38 pound bow and has taken many deer. She even got a buck while 6 months pregnant. Where there is a will, there is a way. There is a great sense of accomplishment to be had in bowhunting.
More deer are dinged with that light of weight bow than are killed. Shame on anyone that would even consider hunting deer with a 30 pound bow.
" Do you think the current deer population situation makes this a good time to introduce a crossbow law change?"
Since the crossbow harvest percentage are almost identical to vertical bows, why not? Woudl you iobjkect iof the number of bowhuters increased say 30,000? Would you put a moritorium on any new bowhunters? Yeah, I didn't think so.
Woody Williams

NSIan

Post by NSIan »

Actually rancid, the laws are changing, you are just too blind to see it!

Not sure what this "crossbow for everybody" law is you keep referring to.....Maybe crossbows in archery season, but not for everybody! :mrgreen: :D :roll:
Nova Scotia Association of Crossbow Hunters.

www.nsach.ca
TPM

Post by TPM »

Do you think the current deer population situation makes this a good time to introduce a crossbow law change?"

Yes! Limit each wisconsin deer hunter to 1 deer this year with whatever weapon they would like to use until the population rebounds.I only deer hunt with a bow so if 1 deer is what it takes to bring back the herd i'm for it!
That's about the most sensible thing any one has said in this entire thread. We had that here in our Province for years and guess what? It worked! But these guys don't want to hear that. It might require them to give up some more of what they've worked for. :roll:
If a clear majority of hunters in WI and a clear majority of WBH support changing the law then it is the right thing to do and I can support it. If not, then I see no reason to make such a change if as you say, only a small number of people will bother to use them.
WHY NOT? What's all this crap about having to have a "majority" approve before it's considered? If it's an ethical means of hunting and there's a viable number of people who want to participate (whether you want to admit it or not) then it should have NOTHING to do with whether those who have no interest in it approve or not. It's about freedom of choice, something which I thought was a little more ingrained in American culture but I guess not. And stop with the "state of the herd" crap as a reason for not allowing universal use of crossbows. There are many ways of approaching wildlife management, like the one mentioned above, so stop pretending you guys care so much about wildlife conservation.
I asked you a question in my last post but you must not have seen it so I will ask again.

" Do you think the current deer population situation makes this a good time to introduce a crossbow law change?"

I look forward to your reply.
Yes. Combined with a proper management program, which looks like it needs a serious overhaul anyways, it could easily work.
Last edited by TPM on Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Riflemanz wrote:[quote"] Do you think the current deer population situation makes this a good time to introduce a crossbow law change?"

Now that is and excellent suggestion. One deer per hunter. Everyone gets to hunt with whatever weapon they chose and the deer herd rebounds. Curb your GREED and let the deer herd recover. End of story. :D
TPM

Post by TPM »

Even the DNR disagrees with you.
Is this the same DNR that has done such a wonderful job managing the deer population up to this point?

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
TPM

Post by TPM »

Yes, it has been my experience that when someone is unable to engage in reasonable debate or they have run out of ideas or they have been exposed, they generally lash out with emotional rants and name calling.
Or they pick and choose what they want to respond to and ignore the comments they don't want to hear. :?

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger