Missing my Equinox

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Raymond

Missing my Equinox

Post by Raymond »

My will I be glad to get my Equinox back. It is like a piece of me is missing. Next time if it has to go in for service, I am going to mail myself with it, lol.
EZKILL

Re: Missing my Equinox

Post by EZKILL »

what kind of service you getting for your Equinox ?
Equinox
Custom Arrows by crazyfarmer
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

I was only getting between 50 to 60 shots with a string before they had to be changed. I have gone through three strings since late November 2009 when I purchased that crossbow new. The Phoenix, that crossbow has the same string on it since it was bought in August 2008. That string has well over five hundred shots and is still being used. The serving on the Equinox was being separated on the right hand side. I tried the fixes from forum members and from Excalibur and that didn't work. I also had an issue with the trigger. It had a quarter inch of play, that was driving me mad, lol. They thought that the claw on the right side may be bent and they were going to try a fix for the trigger also. Thanks you.
Raymond
EZKILL

Post by EZKILL »

what string are you using and what are you using to re-served your string ? now when you say string are you talking about the serving going bad in 50 shots or the string it self if it the serving you are go to have to re-served Halo braid - .030 on it you be lucky to get 20 shots out of fff string serving with the equinox Halo braid - .030 is the way to go will keep you shooting a lot longer

TRY re-served YOUR Equinox WITH Halo braid - .030 THIS WORKS WELL. IF YOU CANT FINE IT HERES A LINK http://www.hmbowstrings.com/accessories.html
Equinox
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

The strings were the excel string. It is the serving that was separating on the right side.
EZKILL

Post by EZKILL »

The Phoenix and the Equinox are not even in the same class for serving wear your talking 75lb. more on the serving Equinox is a beast on serving and 50 shots on excel string is about what i would get if i was lucky lol but i now re-served with Halo braid - .030 and i have well over 100 shots on it ez it been on for 4 mouths now and still looks good so i don't think your fork is bent it just wear for all the 225lb on the serving and with all that 225 lb it will have more creep in the trigger then the phoenix that just the trade off for power and speed but good luck

http://www.crossbow-review.com/TechCorn ... Corner.htm
Equinox
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

"The strings were the excel string. It is the serving that was separating on the right side."

My experience with the Equinox and factory strings has been comparable to yours. It's one reason why I traded the Equinox for the Vortex. Unfortunately that was before I knew more about bow strings. The serving on factory strings is just too loose since most are machine made or on piece rate basis. Once I started using a serving jig, cranked really tight, and Halo my serving separation problems largely vanished.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Its Bacccccccccccccccccccck, Yahoooo. Thanks Excalibur. April 6, wow fast turn around.
wvjason

Post by wvjason »

Thats exactly what is happening to mine. I was told that I am probably pulling back the string too far and rubbing the right side of the serving on the back of the bow. Dan Miller told me to smooth out the edges where it was machined back there and try not to overpull it just pull it till it cocks. I may have to get some halo for my serving as well. Seems funny that my serving got cut in just a few shots in the exact same place that yours did. May be a common thing with equinox? Maybe they should start sending them out with halo braid to start with?
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

You may be right, lol