WBH survey results

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TPM

Re: WBH survey results

Post by TPM »

Pretty extensive survey. I was surprised at how many people use mechanical releases. I use a mechanical release too only mine is permanently mounted in a stock. :wink:
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
Chuck Gravel

Post by Chuck Gravel »

Yeah, very nice survey. yeah there mechanical releases that have a TRIGGER attached to it.
Excalibur Equinox
Lumi-Zone
Viper-X- Strings
NGSS (newguy)
vortex pro extreme 125
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Hmm... they had more crossbowers answer the survey than recurve or long bow shooters/hunters and they still want to discriminate against crossbows..

Weird....
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

rancid crabtree wrote:........ crossbow .......... are a superior weapon that gives an advantage to the elderly and handicapped
Noy, your credibility (what little you had) just took another nose dive.
Once the DNR completes it's random bowhunter survey we will find their results also show that the majority of bowhunters do not want crossbows for everybody just like the last survey they conducted. If at some point, that changes, then it will be the right switch to make.
Just the bowhunters have a voice in this? Why?

Sounds like two wolves and lamb discussing what's for dinner.
Woody Williams

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

rancid crabtree wrote:
"Just the bowhunters have a voice in this? Why? "
Your going to have to ask the WI DNR. It is their survey after all. Perhaps it is becuase it's the BOWHUNTER SURVEY. You might also know that the bowhunters ARE THE GUN HUNTERS. The gun hunters get a survey annualy and yet they don't ask any bowhunting related questions............. Go figure. None on the fishing survey either. :roll:
You are not following me.

They can survey anyone that they want as often as they want.

I'm just saying in ANY hunting reulation change it should not be left up to just bowhunters to make that decision.

Neither should gun hunters only make decisions during the gun hunt season time frame.

ALL hunters should be on on the making of ALL decisions.

No one group should have a lock on the decisions being made.
Woody Williams

awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I can tell you that many were elderly crossbow users themselves that understand our current deer population situation and also are crossbow users and understand that they are a superior weapon that gives an advantage
Man, you're tripping all over yourself to spit that one out! :mrgreen: Here we go again w/ the superior weapon bull shiete.

Two simple questions. If an xbow is superior to a compound, why are the compound scores always higher in the competitions common to both?

And for #2, why don't the harvest stats show the superiority?
"Eze 18:21"
TPM

Post by TPM »

The fact that crossbowers don't have to draw back at the time of the shot nor do they have to hold the weight of the draw with muscle power and let it down and start the draw cycle all over again if the shot does not present itself is why they are a superior weapon thus allowed for the handicapped and elderly in WI.
Ya, that 80% let-off that some of these modern bows have sure make it difficult to hold at full draw. :roll:

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
TPM

Post by TPM »

I don't need a lesson in the mechanics of vertical bows. I've been shooting them, both long bows and compounds, for 38 years. I just find it funny how so many vertical elitists whine about having to hold full draw while waiting for a good shot. The long bow shooters using heavy bows get my sympathy and admiration but us guys shooting modern compounds have it rather easy with the very forgiving bows on the market today.

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
TPM

Post by TPM »

You're right, probaly a poor choice of words.
You brought up a valid point and I expounded on it and like every other person here, you get angry or avoid the issue all together when asked.
Please clarify the issue for me. There have been a lot of points brought up here and I'm not quite sure what I've been "avoiding" here.

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
TPM

Post by TPM »

Superior attributes? I guess that terminology would be the point of debate. Different attributes, yes, and I guess those differences makes it easier for someone not able to draw a vertical bow to be able to launch an arrow. But superior in the field? By your own admission you acknowledge the other States are rumoured to have only "slightly" higher success rates so the superiority can't be that great.

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
TPM

Post by TPM »

Just because the inherent attributes of their design make crossbows easier for people with disabilities or age afflictions does not make them "superior weapons". It simply makes it easier for them to use. If you outfit a car with hand controls for a person with lower limb disabilities it does not make it a superior car. It simply allows them the abiltity to drive.
Since you like "expounding" please expand on your statement that other States that have crossbow hunters have "only slightly higher" success rates. Perhaps you could explain how by allowing crossbow hunters during your archery season the WI deer heard is going to be wiped out.

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
TPM

Post by TPM »

Step 2. When you fail in the arena of ideas, resort to personal attacks.
What personal attacks????
LOL at "Heard"
Oh, that one...
As I stated, I had hear a rumor that in some other states crossbowers have a higher success rate when they are allowed in the archery deer season. I don't know if that is factual or not since I don't follow other states that closely, Perhaps they have a higher or lower success rate than Bowhunters, I really couldn't say.

Well, I would hope that the WBA would have some knowledge and interest in how crossbow hunting affected other States before it took an official stance on whether it should be allowed in WI. I think it's highly irresponsible for you guys to make any kind of claims regarding crossbows and wildlife management when you obviously haven't done your homework. The credibility of your organization is dropping rapidly in my eyes.

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
TPM

Post by TPM »

I would still think that you would have some interest in other States management programs if for no other reason than to find out why they are successful. If the root cause of your herd population is over hunting then kudos for taking some initiative.

Just one more question. If the WI deer population were to return to a healthy level do you think the WBH would support expanded crossbow use?

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

rancid crabtree wrote:
TPM wrote: Just one more question. If the WI deer population were to return to a healthy level do you think the WBH would support expanded crossbow use?

That is up to the membership and based on the survey just conducted, I think it's safe to say that the current position will remain in place for some time.
Real safe when you have one of your Kool-Aid guzzlers in a position of authority, lol. You apparently have a short memory, a shame for a young man of your age. :mrgreen:
The chair of the committee has a very good understanding of this issue. As a long time WBH member, the committee chair knows the crossbow issue very well. We are in regular contact with the chair and other committee members. The chair just spoke at the WBH convention in March. Of course your suggestion of bribery is nothing but pure B.S.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Being on goof terms with the DNR
In your own words, lol. You're not very good at this, are you? Hint: there's a 'preview' function near the 'submit' button!