Custom Crossbow Cases

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Phoenix_Tom

Custom Crossbow Cases

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

A while back a member had posted some pics of his custom crossbow case. This got me to thinking about my own design for a custom crossbow case. The rifle rack on the ATV tends to shred a standard soft case as it pulls the material and by the end of last deer season, my soft case was destroyed. I like the new soft T case from Excalibur but I don't think it will work all that great in an ATV rifle rack. Ideas were brewing.

A couple of weeks ago I was at Staples / Home Depot getting some clipboards for the Turkey course and noticed that next door there was a Michaels fabric shop and they were having a big anniversary sale. I went in to see what they had in camo fabric and there wasn't much selection. They didn't have any modern Realtree or Mossy Oak but they did have what looked to be the original Advantage camo pattern. Then the little old lady that was helping me out found a whole table of digital camo material. I decided to get some of that and to make some military tribute cases for my son and me. The material was 60% off. Bonus!

While I'm no stranger to needle and thread, thanks to the Army, I had never used a sewing machine. But my M-i-L had given a sewing machine to my wife as a presnt a few years back but she's never used a sewing machine either so this thing had never even come out of the shrink wrap. The little old lady at Michaels was very helpful and gave me some pointers. Youtube had some good instructional vids as well.

Last weekend I started the project. I started with a prototype for my son. Here's what I came up with. I wasn't thinking of the pocket while at Michaels so I used some big buttons I've had in a jar for years.

Here's a shot from another angle to show the zipper layout I wanted. I don't like fumbling with a top end loading case in the dark after a long day of hunting.

The prototype was a bit tight in some spots and loose in others so I adjusted my pattern. I had also learned a lot about the sewing machine, seams, etc that I incorporated into my next case. Everything is double stitched for added strength and there isn't one loose thread that'll unravel. For this one, I had bought a zipper for the pocket.

I also added a loop and a sling to this one. My son doesn't like slings.

Easy entry and removal.

The handy pocket.

Ready for stowing.

I'm really happy how this second one turned out. I know my prototype won't last more than a season or two but I got some more material, again at 60% off, and I already plan on making my son another case but "heavy duty" this time. Thanks to getting the material on sale, I was able to make these 2 cases for less than $25. Just in case you're thinking of making a case, 3 yards was more than enough for 2 cases.
2008 Phoenix w/ Varizone Scope
FFF String (Boo string wannabee)
Groundpounder Mount
Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout RF
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
michhunter

Re: Custom Crossbow Cases

Post by michhunter »

hey i have a case somthing like that for my exomax i will post some pictures for you to see it a little tight around the scope but works great. i have to run some errings i will get you the pictures.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Nice job! Cases look great!!
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Great job
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
saxman

Post by saxman »

Great job.
I like that you displayed your military insignias on it.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
ManX

Post by ManX »

really congrats Phoenix_Tom :wink:
I have posted your pics in our forum http://venatores.mastertopforum.net/vie ... =4635#4635 (if you have hany problems, sorry: tell me and I will erase them :roll: )

this is mine: http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... 86#p303786
regards
ManX
[img]http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn235/ManX850/exorealtree-1.jpg[/img] ExomanX, Meopta 3100,[url=http://www.wolfszeit.com/images/WO.Mo.09-li..JPG]Wolfszeit[/url] scope mount, produce in ManX Factory spa: shock absorbers, 48 fff , 2216xx78 27% foc
secret

Post by secret »

Thats a great job!!!!!
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

Thanks guys.

Saxman: I figured I'd put the badges on as part of the military tribute theme. Plus, I like to carry some kind of a memento from my Dad when hunting. The Airborne wings were his. He had 80+ jumps and serving with the Airborne for 6 years was the highlight of his 32 year military career. I will think of my Dad, all our current members and past members of the military, comrades and friends lost, and my brothers in arms, whenever I use this case.

ManX: No problem. Thanks for asking.
2008 Phoenix w/ Varizone Scope
FFF String (Boo string wannabee)
Groundpounder Mount
Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout RF
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s