OT - Slug Barrels

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

Re: OT - Slug Barrels

Post by crazyfarmer »

RyanB wrote:
crazyfarmer wrote:if you want a slug gun, get one.. dont sub a shotgun for a slug gun:-P Kidding guys;)

I have a H&R single shot ultra slug gun. I also only shoot 20g slug guns since its just like shooting 150grains of blackpowder and a 260grain sabot. The 12g slugs hit like a train, but they drop off fast! The 20g is like shooting a rifle:)

You can pick up the H&R single shot 20g slug guns for roughly 229-279bucks which is cheaper than just the barrel for most guns;)

I was going to mention the H&R yesterday...great slug gun for an even better price!!! One thing I really like about it is that because the barrel and action always stay together (not possible to change barrels) its even that much better for staying true. They are also fairly heavy which helps in the hick, put a good pad on it and it will be even better.

Ryan
you cant beat them for the money.. They are heavy though, which is good since that iwll help with long range. You never see a light weight 200+yard gun for that reason

Limbs was right also... A 870 or 1100 will get the job done but its better suited and also cheaper options available. I debated getting the slug barrel for my encore, but just the barrel is 379! Add another 250+ scope and its to much money. Plus I hate swapping peices out. I want one gun devoted to onething.

My brother in law got a 870 for the sole reason he wants 3 shots... ok, has anyone ever tried to follow up on a deer with a pump action scoped shotgun:-P It can be done, but its no easy task LOL. I like the one shot, one kill:)

whichever route you go, just try some different slugs. Some shot better then others on each setup! Find the one you like and lay the hammer down;)
weezy

Post by weezy »

you ever had any consistency problems with your ultra slug hunters?I read a few complaints about a few of them not being able to group good with almost all the sabots and it wasnt just them not knowing what their doing but experienced shooters.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

weezy wrote:you ever had any consistency problems with your ultra slug hunters?I read a few complaints about a few of them not being able to group good with almost all the sabots and it wasnt just them not knowing what their doing but experienced shooters.
weezy, im very picky about my guns and shooting. I use the Platinum Partition golds which are 20bucks per 5. I only shoot at 100 yards to sight mine in and have a 1/2inch grouping for 2 shots. I can post a picture of that if needed LOL. I havent missed a deer yet with mine. Other than my ML'er its my favorite gun
weezy

Post by weezy »

I was just wondering because im thinking about getting one in 20 gauge and would like to sight it in out to 150 yards
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

For deer skip the buck shot get the slug barrel it is the way to go.
00 buck is better off saved for home defense.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
RichJ

Post by RichJ »

After reading this OLD thread brought back to life, I will say it all depends on what type of areas and shots are thrown your way. I have tried about 1 million and 1 set up after working in a Gun/Archery shop for several yrs. The areas I hunt are small lots and treestand hunting Shots are not more than 75 yrd shots at most. For this type of hunting I would say run a smooth bore with low power optic like 4x along some cheap Remington Sluggers ect. With this set up you can cut holes at 50yrds alday. I also use my 3.5 inch auto with 00buck. I have never really been a fan of Buckshot until I seen several Deer get crumbled out at 50-75yrds. 18 pellets is no joke. I also have a fully Rifled barrel I never use due to the $15 per 5 round box of ammo. If you have shots 150yrds plus,this is a nice but expensive route to go. If you want a long range nail driver, check into the H&R or the Ithica Deer Slayer.

Um...Mexi-cans, Portori-cans, Afri-cans...????
Ever wonder why Society throws everyone who hunts into a group of Uneducated rednecks?