New Guy! Need Deer Hunting Place

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

snypurr

New Guy! Need Deer Hunting Place

Post by snypurr »

Hey I'm new to this forum just got my Excalibur Vortex last Friday what a nice piece of archery. Just wondering if some guys can point me in a good deer hunting direction I'm from Northeastern Ontario Near Timmins. We don't get deer up here. Don't want to go too far I know near Kenora & fort Frances is really good but it's like 14 hrs drive that's a little much. An suggestions would be great preferably not guided.
Last edited by snypurr on Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AAB

Re: New Guy! Need Deer Hunting Place

Post by AAB »

Congrats on your new crossbow...

I have heard that there is some good deer near New Liskeard area. I have also heard lately that there is deer around Timmins area... but probably not much.

Good luck!
Big John

Post by Big John »

You will likely not find much Deer in WMU 40. Deer hunting in 40 just started after many long years of none.
I have a place in 40 since 1988. I hunt the WMU extensively for Bear, Moose ,Grouse and Waterfowl. I have never seen a Deer past Martin River in all these years. Good Luck! :)
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
Pink Panther

Post by Pink Panther »

up fishing for pickeral last july istweek seen a nice doe at the old womans rapids just north of matachawean on the montreal river. talking to a couple of locals fishing beside us these guys had not seen a deer there for a long time . also seen a few turkey in the fall in the same area.
Big John

Post by Big John »

Better for you to try would be the North Bay, loring area. Just south of north bay. Thats not to bad of a drive.
Make a weekend of it, and find some Crown land or ask some Farmers.
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
snypurr

Post by snypurr »

Thanx guys for the info so far! Please keep it comming really need to find a place before final tag date.
RAMAMOE

Post by RAMAMOE »

Like John said anywhere from North Bay south to Huntsville. you can look up crown land maps on the internet. then get a Backroads map from Walmart to find trails and roads on the crown land and check them out for sign , sheds , old scrapes and rubs. Around my neck of the woods there is lots of crown land to go around and not alot of bow hunters Good luck :D
Equinox - Varizone - Rage 100 3 blade - xcal. firebolts
"When they hear the "TWANG" it's already too late"