anti dry-fire system for excalibur crossbows.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sumner4991

Re: anti dry-fire system for excalibur crossbows.

Post by sumner4991 »

Anybody that dryfires a crossbow had a bout with stupidity . . .I did it twice . . .no one was killed, thank God. :D

I like the current system . . .it's a good educator. 8)
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Bragdony

Post by Bragdony »

If you want anti dry-fire go to this site
http://www.arcinter.com/en/featured_products/index.html
maple

Post by maple »

I think that 9 times out of 10, dry-fires occur during target practice, not in actual hunting situations. It's when you're not paying enough attention to what you are doing that it happens. Talking to somebody, coming back from pulling arrows, adjusting the scope, these are all things that cause distractions from your usual loading routine. Thus, mistakes.

While hunting, you are focused on the one impending shot, and I know I seem to check my arrow every 10 minutes to make sure it is there and properly seated. No risk of dry-fire there.

It all comes down to developing a strict loading routine EVERY TIME YOU LOAD. That's what practice is for.

Maple
M&M

Post by M&M »

I like it but a little pricey
M&M
Tired Rooster

Post by Tired Rooster »

I know that my response to this topic will most likely not be very popular with some. But every action or lack of carries with it a consequence, good or bad. If one is inattentive, careless, or irresponsible while operating any mechanical device, there often times will be a price to pay for ones lack of attention. Too often people do not want to take full responsibility for their own actions. There is a tendency these days for people to want everything to be 100% SAFE. BUT AT WHAT COST? What ever happened to learning procedures and processes and practicing certain tasks until a high level of proficiency was attained? Yes we are human and mistakes will happen. But make the mistake, pay the price. You will be much less likely to make it again. I bought the Excalibur because it was simple, high quality, and it worked...really well. A close friend dry fired his new Exomax. Caused damage. Cost him some money. He learned a lesson and is now far more attentive to the "process" involved in shooting his xbow. I learned from his mistake and hope to not make it myself. Maybe I will one day. Hope not. But if I do...MY fault! I hope that Excal. doesn't change a thing. I think that most of us here are very like minded and enjoy taking the time to learn our tool of choice and to practice the process of using it safely and proficiently. We also probably love the SIMPLICITY of these bows. It's worth no more or no less than anyone else's opinion. But thats my 2 cents. Not intended to inflame any controversy, but it's how I think.
DEO VINDICE
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

A view shared by most of us on this forum Tired Rooster. Subject has arose many times over the years.
mitch

Post by mitch »

I agree 100% with Tire rooster I did buy my Excalibur vortex because it is simple and very well built .there is no archery shop were I live.
Dash

Post by Dash »

My thoughts on this may not be popular, but here I go.
I thought the idea is a good one. Whether or not the desighn needs fine tuning remains to be seen. Like all new things, we won't be sure until one is tried and tested by one of us.
If they sent me one, I'd be happy to test it :wink:
But I wouldn't dissmis something like this if its proven to work.
Putting it on all excaliburs..... maybe not. But Nice to have the optional assessory if it's proven to work well.
Looking at this design- -----
Pro's - It shoulnd't be able to jam stopping the shot while the bolt is loaded with this simple common lock desighn. Weight isn't an issue with a simple latch mechanism like this. Could save your bow or you from injury.
Con's - Could it pull your sight out of adjustment during a dryfire, its attached to the upper sight rail? Needs to be proven.....Cost .... maybe ?
Is still possible to uncock the bow ? Needs to be proven....

Like any safety mechanism, even if it does work well, it doesn't take away the need for people to show common sense, and show proper safety ettiquate in using a crossbow.
longwinters

Post by longwinters »

This is something the the past bruha about Remington safety issues because some lady shot her son....and I guess the safety failed. Why was she aiming her rifle at someone anyway. Mechanical safetys (on rifles) are there for when people do not focus on what they should be focusing on, or perhaps because of some unavoidable slip, trip or fall. If you read 24hourcampfire, many of the guys in Alaska don't have a cartridge in the chamber of their rifle until they are going to take the shot...why? Because they are not going to rely on their safety no matter what the rifle brand.

Even compound archers have been know to dryfire their bows....I gotta wonder how that happens...

So we keep mechanizing things because people cannot be counted on to FOCUS and think safe. I know it can happen, but it never seems to stop...we keep complicating things because people cannot be counted on to use their brains...maybe we have too much on our minds, too much pressure, maybe we are all A.D.D etc..........Maybe we should all be on meds.....when does it all stop?

Long
Tom

Post by Tom »

longwinters wrote:.............................
So we keep mechanizing things because people cannot be counted on to FOCUS and think safe. I know it can happen, but it never seems to stop...we keep complicating things because people cannot be counted on to use their brains...maybe we have too much on our minds, too much pressure, maybe we are all A.D.D etc..........Maybe we should all be on meds.....when does it all stop?

Long
This above statement is so TRUE !!!!!!!!

In today's society, people would rather have a mechanical device to protect them from either laziness or just plain inattentiveness. Trouble is, when handling ANY hunting tool, both of those have no place being anywhere near the hunting tool. When I grew up, if I showed anything but 100% attention when handling a gun, I lost (from my parents) the right to use it for a said period of time.

Remember that a mechanical device will fail, just some well before others. For some reason, MURPHY will always step in and make it the most inopportune time for the failure (like out hunting on a trip). I have used crossbows for over 30 years, none have had the anti dry-fire systems and I have never dryfired my bow or anyone else's. You see if it did, my bow is the ORIGINAL RELAYER with a single limb. A dry fire of it and the bow is gone (can't replace limbs anymore).

Can I say that I will never dryfire a bow, ..... no I can not say that, but I sure hope that it never happens because it will show that I was not paying proper attention when handling the crossbow.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
WTB

Post by WTB »

If anyone has handled a Steyer (sp?) ,their three stage safety set up, is, at first a real PIA, it is very safe.It locks the bolt in position as well as the trigger. The "three stages" would or should get you in the "zone" (focused).

All that Excaliber would have to do is fabricate a simple, in-expensive, two stage system (after market,$15)that would attach to the trigger gaurd. If you have to take an extra step you are more apt to recheck to see if you are loaded. This would also cure the " loose saftey" issue that some have. Personally ,I like the "loose" saftey. It is very smooth and quite.A trigger saftey would add an extra measure of saftey.

I don't want anything, that I have shoot to unload.

I agree, that while sitting in my blind,I check and recheck to make sure my arrow is seated and my scope clear.

I dry-fired my Vortex several, times (at first).

PAY ATTENTION!
Mister B

Post by Mister B »

I personally think this kind of dryfire mechanism is worth having. It is similar to the one on my tenpoint. I will add one to each of my excals as funds permit. I just wish Excalibur made one as an option. Sure it's just another gadget but it looks to be a good one. I will test one thoroughly, but they should make my excals "perfect" in every way. I may even get rid of the tenpoint I let my grandkids shoot.
Micro nightmare (Mini Pearl)
Matrix 355 (the Shrike)
Matrix 330 (the Mini-Mag)
Rage Extreme & slick trick mag BH
Diablo arrows with 2"blazers and Laser II and
BE executioners with 3" Duravanes
WTB

Post by WTB »

How does the Ten Point system work? How will it mount to the EXCAL.?
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

What Tired Rooster said X2!

If it isn't broke, there's no need to fix it. I bought my Excaliburs because they are accurate and simple.

Even before I bought my first one, I read this forum and one thing I kept seeing is that many of the Old Timers had a system for cocking their bows. I developed my system when I started shooting mine.

Place foot fully into stirrup
Use the rope cocker to cock the bow
Put the safety on before removing the rope
Take rope off
Take foot out of stirrup, pickup the bow and load the arrow, always making sure it's pointed in a safe direction

I started using this system by going very slowly and deliberately the first dozen times or more so that it would become a habit. Now I don't even think about it and find my self surprised at times that the safety is on even though I didn't remember flipping it on.

So far, out of thousands of cockings, I haven't had a dry fire yet. Not saying I never will, but so far, knock on wood!

At what point do you want a Government, or Manufacturer, to stop protecting you from yourself?
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

OkXbowHunter wrote:Put the safety on before removing the rope
Take rope off
Good idea, hurts like heck when you shoot with it on. Busted the plastic piece on my baby finger. Still see the blood squirting out! LOL Not even the dry fire device would have helped, I had an arrow in it and guess I left one hook on string.