garden

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bucko

Re: garden

Post by Bucko »

OK here it goes, This recipe isn't taken from a website this is the real thing tried and true through time and sandwiches,pretzels and such.

Hot or Mild Pepper Butter[Mustard]
72 Banana peppers of your choice with the tops and bottoms cut off and washed,clean out most seeds, grind with a processor type until pulp is consistancy of mustard [few seed are alright],drain out any juice and set aside.
Mix well these next ingrediants and bring to a high rolling boil: 1 tablespoon salt, 6 cups sugar, 1 quart yellow mustard, and 1 quart brown[apple] vinegar
After high boil is reached add the pepper mixture previously made to the above items and also at this time add 1 1/2 cup flour with 1 1/2 cup water to the mixture also , at this point you have all the items mixed for the recipe in a large pot hot on the stovetop and we use a big spoon to mix to the final blending/consistancy of smoothness for spreadable mustard.
This will make about 12 pints of pepper mustard which at this point you can fill according to your preferred method. we boil the cleaned jars,lids and rings and pour the hot mixture into the then hot,empty jars and seal.
Give it a try,What the heck!
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Boo wrote:Farmer Wes! Your plot is as big or bigger than some people's house lots in the city of Toronto! Have fun Wes, never pictured you in overalls, straw hat and straw between your teeth! :mrgreen:
Me and my garden hoe: :lol:

"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Boo

Post by Boo »

I don't see her!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

just put mine in and had to cover it tonight because of frost... Is that bamboo in the back ground? I could use a cutting . lol
Limbs and Sticks

Shotnbeer wrote:just put mine in and had to cover it tonight because of frost... Is that bamboo in the back ground? I could use a cutting . lol

Yep, it comes in handy for a few things

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
wabi

Post by wabi »

Limbs and Bolts wrote:........does anyone know what that white stuff in chicken manure is :?: ..............

Wes

That's chicken s***, too. !
My ex-father in law used to put a burlap sack filled with chicken manure in a barrel that caught rain water. He'd water his tomatoes out of that barrel, and he had some huge tomatoes!

We avoided the frost last night, but tonight is going to be even colder. :(
I have 5 gallon buckets set over the tomato plants tonight just to be safe. The wife has all her flowers covered, too.
I noticed the grape vine is loaded with small clusters of grapes already. Frost got them last year, and it looks like it may happen again this year. :(

The mustard recipe sounds good! I may have to give it a try.
wabi
munch

Post by munch »

wes looks like you have a little bit of a green thumb .my wife has planted some things but i see frost on the grass this morning. do you know anything about fruit trees. we planted a peach tree two years ago and got fruit last year. she put mulch around the bottom of it a month ago and now the leaves are looking burnt and some look rubbery .do you think she killed it thanks munch
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
Limbs and Sticks

Good luck Wabi, got chilly here to not like what you guys have, I knew someone would answer the manure ? :lol: Munch I know fresh mulch that hasn't stated to decay will kill garden veg. I made that mistake once, don't know about trees?

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
wabi

Post by wabi »

We got some frost in this area this morning, but it didn't look like we got it here in my end of town. :D
I noticed several frosty lawns when I took my son to school (7:30AM) but they were out of town at lower elevations to the west of town. Here in the east end of town (on a hilltop) it is usually a couple degrees warmer. I think all the heated buildings blocking off the prevailing wind is the reason. The radio station on the west side of town almost always reports temps a couple degrees colder than I have here at home on the east side of town.

As for the mulch, I think the heat new mulch generates can be damaging to plants. :wink: It is best to apply the mulch in several thin layers (applied a few days apart) than just piling it up around the plants or young trees.
The place I buy my mulch from actually had a pile catch fire this spring! It can generate a lot of heat under the right conditions!
wabi
Limbs and Sticks

Glad it didn't freeze you out Wabi, Bugs that LIMA BEAN is my favorite also :)

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

We did lose some corn to the hard freeze but not all of it. I'll wait a couple of days and check it again. We had 2 nights in a row of hard freeze and like the wife, I was out by the bird bath around 10:00 am and picked up a big chunk of ice. Wow. Now we are getting a cold rain and I just saw that the temperature had climbed to 43. This week is expected to be wet until the weekend.

On the chicken manure, use that sparingly; it is hot stuff. When we used to spread it on the fields along side of the cow manure we spread it very, very thin, else it was too much for the tender shoots of new crop.

On the peach tree, that sounds more like frost damage. Also, when you mulch the trees, never put it all the way up to the tree itself. Leave about 6" at least else mice might find it an interesting spot to nest and they will then start chewing on the tree. Besides, you want the goodies to get to the roots; not the base of the tree. The feeding roots are out a ways from the trunk. Go out to the tree line, or the ends of the branches and mulch from there to within 6" of the trunk.

I hope this helps.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

I have a big garden also. Maybe take pix tomorrow and put it up. Snow peas, potatoes, pole beans, sweet potatoes, beets, cabbage and broccali all doing very well - been a good season so far. I start lots of things in greenhouse before I put them out. Also looks like a good apple and cherry year - they managed to evade the frost.
Phoenix - Equinox
Don't trust anyone wearing a necktie...
DrDan
Limbs and Sticks

DrDan wrote:I have a big garden also. Maybe take pix tomorrow and put it up. Snow peas, potatoes, pole beans, sweet potatoes, beets, cabbage and broccali all doing very well - been a good season so far. I start lots of things in greenhouse before I put them out. Also looks like a good apple and cherry year - they managed to evade the frost.
Yep big garden, this is what's on the other side of his house :lol: good looking garden Dan.

"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

One garden (can't see it all) with some fruit trees and strawberries. The only other thing in this garden so far is peas and potatoes. More will go in probably next week and hopefully we will be frost free by then.

Another garden with corn, rhubarb, raspberries and blackberries. I don't think we lost more than about 10% of the corn. Notice the bales of straw. We'll get that spread out between the rows to both hold moisture and keep weeds down. I hate hoeing. Next fall I'll take some of the straw and stack it up to use next year. Some will also get tilled in, so this also helps the ground.

EDIT: You will also probably notice a small patch of rye behind the garden.

Blackberries forming.

Raspberries forming.

I also took note today that we will definitely have peaches after all. Yes, we lost some but maybe not that many. The peaches are just starting to form but I did not take any pictures. I may later.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
huntone

Post by huntone »

I put my tomatoes out just before the flood here in Middle Tennessee . We had 13 inches of rain in a two day period. :shock: My plants were waterlogged, but they're coming back ok. I was blessed that I wasn't affected much by the flood. I watered in some Miracle gro yesterday. :D
Dale

Ibex
Lumizone
Dan Miller mount