Deer Decoys?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ninepointer

Deer Decoys?

Post by ninepointer »

Anybody had any luck, good or bad, using deer decoys? I'm thinking of trying one of those 2-D Renzo doe decoys this fall.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
VixChix

Re: Deer Decoys?

Post by VixChix »

Hubby and I have had some luck with the Renzos.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
roly

Post by roly »

Have used the montana decoys

They do attract deer but they figure them out real fast
I found that you could only use them once or twice, then use in a diff. location.
where the deer haven't seen them before.
TPM

Post by TPM »

I'd say the Renzo's played a big part in getting both of these deer. Both were hesitant until they spotted the decoy. The buck was staring me down in my blind for a few minutes but once he spotted the decoy he trotted right toward it... and right in front of my muzzle. Took him at 20 yards. The doe was hung up in the corner of a field. She spotted the decoy and headed right out walking 15 yards in front of me.

The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
lvt01

Post by lvt01 »

One of our neighbors tried one a couple years ago. He didn't know what the deer thought about it, because they never got a chance to see it. He had immediately gotten the attention of the herd of cows that where grazing in the corn stubble he was hunting next to. Now they were quite fond of it, cuz they just "loved it" to pieces!!! :wink:
secret

Post by secret »

My one buddy just leaves his 3-d target[mckenzie] by his treestand set up for a perfect shot...last year during the rut he shot a big buck off it.i went up that treestand 4 days in a row no deer.on the 5th day i came to see the deers head was missing...during the night the hudge one we were both hunting tore its head off and dragged it 150yrds down the feild.. the tracks were 3 1/2 long...we put up a trail camera to get a look at this brute...never got a photo....a kid shot a 14pt less than a 1/4 mile from our stand. never got a look at him alive.. cost my buddy his Mckenzie. he bought a plastic one for this year!
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
lvt01

Post by lvt01 »

Hmmm.....that's kind of an expensive way to lure a buck in! I think the plastic one is the way to go! :wink:
weezy

Post by weezy »

I use my 3d deer target as a decoy and have had decent results but it is a pain to haul around so I dont use decoys anymore
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

There was a post on here once and the decoy was hit by a bear or a big cat, I couldn't find it but I remeber the back was tore or clawed, it was a neat post.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
OneShot

Post by OneShot »

We used decoys without any results; other than agrivating the squirrels!

They seemed to be pizzed off that something was in thier corn field.

Then we gave up hunting moose , because the decoy was too heavy to haul around!

oneshot..........
Leave the concrete jungle behind and just go hunting !
Island Hunter

Post by Island Hunter »

Yes OneShot, that´s why I gave up hunting elephants,
those decoys are a bitch to carry around. :lol: :lol: :lol:
(2013) MATRIX 355
Tact-Zone scope
18" Diablo's
150gr Boltcutters
Danny's Flemish String
Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers
(2009) EXOMAX 350
Varizone Scope
20" Fire Bolts
150gr Boltcutters
Ground Pounder Mount
Boo Strings
STS
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

I was going to use my 3D target I had set up at my camp as a decoy last fall until I saw the neighbours' dogs mounting it and peeing on it's legs. I guess you could say it attracted dogs! Maybe I should try using it this year for wolf and yote hunting....
2008 Phoenix w/ Varizone Scope
FFF String (Boo string wannabee)
Groundpounder Mount
Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout RF
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

i htnik i am going to us my turkey decoye well hunting deer .the last three mornings well turkey hunting with pretty boy we have had deer come right out and sniff the decoy thyget real intrested in prettyboy and show no fear .it would give the deer somthing to look at instead of looking at me .it keeps there attention and i think thy get a safe feeling from it being out there worth a try it would make a great yard marker if nothing els DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

young deer will usually come in to them or if you get lucky and get a pumped up mature buck with onething on his mind coming into a rattling setup:)

I gave up with them.. trying to keep them scent free is the biggest hassle. Usually doe come out way before something big does so they get up close and personal and usually snort and haul butt after 10mins. They can help if you are hunting a 100acre field or etc and just need to bring one slightly closer. But my experience has always been bad. I have the carrylite one and it looks real, but its a PITA to take around the field. If you have a buddie filming or etc its a little better. For for one person its alot unless you use the 2D ones like above.

Deer are very curious and even if it doesnt look right a younger buck or doe will usually come to check it out. It depends on what you plan on doing overall I guess with them. If you want to get something closer, they can work. Ive just never had good luck with them on any bucks older than 2.5 years of age. Mine is usually a xmas decoration now in the front yard :lol:
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

Just last season, for the first time, I used a 2 dimensional bedded deer. Though the deer I shot didn't go right up to the decoy it spent a lot of time looking at it allowing me to shoot the deer. I was in an open ground blind. Another time I had left my ground blind to go grab a quick lunch, my brother who was still posted said several deer hung around the decoy for a bit apparently trying to figure it out. So from my limited experience I'd say they can work.

Check out this web page... http://www.tidecoys.com/

Take care...