shot guns, smoth bore with slugs.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

hikerman

shot guns, smoth bore with slugs.

Post by hikerman »

I know this isn't crossbow related, but this forum is always has some great info.

I have a shot gun that is "back bore" or over bore. Now a days they do this to reduce the recoil.
I have been told that you should not use slugs with these new guns.
My buddy just bought a new shot gun and was told the same thing. Call the manufacture, they said as long as you use the correct choke/slug combo no problem.

Can any tell me why I shouldn't blow of a box of slugs for target?

Thanks.
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
Grizzly Adam

Re: shot guns, smoth bore with slugs.

Post by Grizzly Adam »

hikerman wrote:Can any tell me why I shouldn't blow of a box of slugs for target? Thanks.
The old style Foster slugs are quite safe to shoot through any standard smooth-bore shotgun. That's what the high, thin ribs on the slug are designed for ... to easily deform in a bore that might be slightly "undersized".

In your case, when shooting a shotgun with a modern "back-bored" tube and screw-in choke, I imagine that the worst result using such slugs might have would be some leading at the "pinch point" of the bore, where the choke tube joins the barrel.

Of your chokes, I'd recommend improved-cylinder choke.

Have fun! :D
Grizz
TPM

Post by TPM »

It's more of a performance thing than a safety thing. Most 12ga. slugs are designed to fit and perform best in a standard 12ga. barrel with an approx. .729" bore. With an over bored barrel you will not get a proper gas seal around the slug and the slug will not be stable while traveling through the bore.
While over-boring may help a little to reduce recoil it's main purpose is to help reduce shot deformation which it turn will improve patterning. Same goes for lengthening forcing cones on standard bore barrels and long taper chokes.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

Thanks, They recommended the cylinder or inproved.
The gun shop made it sound more of a safety or damage issue.

Thanks for the feedback!
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.