Storm of the year (I hope) - picture heavy

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

Storm of the year (I hope) - picture heavy

Post by wabi »

At least I hope we don't get another one like it soon!!!!!!!!!!

Our area got hit hard Friday evening.
We got over 5" of rain in about 1½ hours, had one tornado touch down in the county (luckily no deaths or injuries), several homes and automobiles were severely damaged or destroyed by flash flooding, and all the state routes closed at least briefly because of the flooding.
The county engineer told me yesterday that 6 bridges were closed, and they were working "round the clock" to try to get the bridge replaced on the road to the local schools (elementary, high, and vocational schools all located outside of town).
They made it, and got a huge culvert in place so they could open the road to complete the school year. He pointed out the pile of scrap of what was left of the old culvert (they call it a bridge, but it's just a huge pipe with concrete ends) and said it was now $30,000 worth of scrap! (I know the engineer well, he's one of my plumbing customers).
I took a few pics of the damage.

This is one of the water hole below the spillway at the local lake that is the beginning of the creek that flows along SR41 north of town. You can easily see where the water level reached from the line where the strips of dried grass on the dam embankment end, and the debris is piled. The creek flows close to one small town then hits Ohio Brush Creek.
lake after storm.JPG
As you can see in the pic, the water was actually above the ends of the concrete sidewalls on the spillway! They are about 6' high! There is also another "emergency" overflow on the other end of the dam, and it was close to 2' deep coming over it during the storm.
Luckily this storm was not widespread and did not hit the entire county with that severity.

This pic is of a friend's property a couple miles on down that creek. The bare spot to the right of the heavily damaged garage is where his doublewide was before the storm. It's in the trees behind the garage now! He and his wife were trapped inside as it was swept away, but luckily survived without injury. The local fire department rescued them by forming a "human chain" as the flood waters receded.
jc doublewide.JPG

This is another garage a couple miles further down the creek. It used to be a completely enclosed garage! This lady wasn't at home, but she raised Sheltie dogs for sale. Most of her dogs are still unaccounted for. :(
garage.JPG

I didn't get any pics during the storm, I was busy trying to find a way for my wife & son to get safely home from a meeting in the northern part of the county. She tried to head home at 10:00PM, but all the state routes were closed and she isn't familiar with the county and township roads (she's from northern Ohio). I finally found a route I could safely get through and meet her to lead her home after the flood waters had started to recede. We made it in at 2:00AM. 4 hours for what would normally be a 30 minute drive!
wabi
Limbs and Sticks

Re: Storm of the year (I hope) - picture heavy

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

I hope you don't get any more, looks like the earth is coming un-glued every where.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

That does not look to be to enjoyable to be involved in that.
Raymond
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

bstout wrote:The thing that really gets me is folks driving around in that kind of weather with NO headlights on! :shock: In my opinion, you should have an IQ of at least 40 in order to get a driver's license. :wink:
Here in NC, having the headlights on when wipers are running is the LAW. They'll pinch ya if you don't! :P

We even have signs posted at the borders!

Having an IQ is optional, though. :lol: :lol:

Glad you survived the storm, Wabi! :D
Last edited by Grizzly Adam on Wed May 26, 2010 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grizz
wabi

Post by wabi »

Ohio just put a law into effect requiring headlights be on if the weather affects visibility (rain, snow, fog, etc.). For a year it will be one of those things they can't ticket you for, just a warning for now.

I went to the lake this morning to see what changes the water had made. It did some major remodeling at the hole below the spillway. Several rock ledges (that hole was an old stone quarry) are now gone, and one nice flat gravel bar is now a 3' tall mound of very large rocks (some of the ledges that broke off).
It never ceases to amaze me as to the amount of force water can apply to a stationary object. Some of those rocks would take a lot of work with heavy equipment to move, and one flash flood easily re-arranged them.
wabi
Crispy

Post by Crispy »

Glad to hear nobody got hurt. We had a tornado touch down about the same time, no injuries but lots of damage. We need new roofs for the house and garage, new siding, windows,spouting,fence, my wife's car had $5250.00 in damages and our sons car was totaled one day before he left for the Army and thats just the big stuff. Guess you and I will be cleaning up the mess for quite some time. Good luck, I hope everything goes well for you.
Crispy