Little Coon

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Golden Eagle

Little Coon

Post by Golden Eagle »

My Daughter found by road where Mom was killed.
bob1961

Re: Little Coon

Post by bob1961 »

i see your in pa....i don't know if you know of hpa.com forum....please read this thread if you haven't and please do the right thing before it is too late :( ...............bob

http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthre ... w=1#UNREAD

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

What a cutie!
Lots of misinformation about coons, this household has raised many of them, that stopped once I realized the legalities though. While it is illegal to raise them it is done a whole lot more than people think. My wildlife company was based on baby coons before it opened up a bit. I am a licenced rehabilitator but simply do not have the time to deal with that stuff anymore.
I have had about 300 of them pass through my truck in the past 6 weeks, some with their mothers and some orphaned. You will absolutely not deter a mother coon from keeping the kits if you handle them, matter of fact, If I run across orphaned kits I will take one or two and blend them with mothers with small litters, they take them without hesitation.
Probably have 30 in my truck right now..
Always best not to break the law, but so you know, they love to eat cigarettes, drink beer and at the age of the one you are holding it would still be nursing. Coons can not digest cows milk, but powdered goats milk is right up their alley.
However, you do need to do the right thing.

At that age their feces is very wet and yellow, do yourself a favor and don't ingest it. After it matures a bit the droppings will start to resemble that of a small dog, that is when things can get ugly, there is stuff in their that goes airborne and can make a real mess out of a person, histoplasmosis and other crazy stuff is associated to the airborne particles of coon scat.
They can not pee on their own at the early stages either, that noise you hear when you rub it is it trying to pee, rub it's belly and you will see what I mean.
Of course, while you are waiting for the proper authorities to come pick it up.
Here are some I cut out of a beautiful spam ceiling earlier this season, they are getting bigger and faster now though.

If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

They have a propensity to grow into BIG coons. And the more human habituated they get the more potentially dangerous. Friends wife was attacked by one when she got between it and the bird feeder it was raiding. Let it be, 'Mother' will take care of it...one way or another.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!