The results from Indiana Deer Hunting Online Survey

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Woody Williams

The results from Indiana Deer Hunting Online Survey

Post by Woody Williams »

The results from the Indiana Deer Hunting Online Survey

Two out of three people responding to a recent Department of Natural Resources online survey said they use both archery and firearms to hunt deer, and 91 percent said they would be willing to harvest one or more additional antlerless deer if money were not an issue.

Respondents also expressed strong support for a variety of license packages, including a “sportsman’s bundle” that would include one archery, one firearms, one muzzleloader and one bonus antlerless license for $72. To purchase each of those licenses separately under the current setup would cost $96.

The survey, conducted by the DNR Division of Fish & Wildlife, is part of a process to review and revise Indiana’s deer management strategy. After meeting with a stakeholder committee, the DFW asked deer hunters and landowners to complete the online questionnaire pertaining to deer season structure and equipment use.

A total of 9,516 responses were received.

“Because online surveys pose several problems in obtaining scientifically valid results, this questionnaire will be best served as a general indicator for gauging public support or opposition for various deer regulation alternatives,” said Mark Reiter, director of the Division of Fish & Wildlife. “The DFW will be using this information, along with input from a deer stakeholder committee and public input given as part of the administrative rule process, to promulgate a deer rule package.”

The questionnaire was available online from April 19-25. Questions were formatted based on suggestions and recommendations from the deer stakeholder committee to meet the objective of focused deer herd reduction in a strategically targeted manner that would more adequately balance ecological, recreational and economic needs of the citizens of Indiana.

Before being placed online, the questionnaire was reviewed by a social scientist from Purdue University’s Department of Forestry and Natural Resources to ensure the integrity of each question.

The questionnaire was designed using an online provider (www.surveymonkey.com).

Slightly more than 93 percent of the survey respondents said they were Indiana deer hunters while 4.6 said they were not and just over 2 percent left the question blank.

Approximately 5,300 respondents identified themselves as resident license buyers; 2,600 as lifetime license buyers; 700 as landowners exempt from license purchase; 300 non-resident license buyers; 50 youth license buyers, and 10 military-exempt license holders.

Additional survey results showed that:

--Eight of 10 respondents said they use shotguns to hunt deer; 74 percent use archery equipment, 71 percent muzzleloader, 20 percent handguns, 19 percent rifles, and 10 percent crossbows. Of those respondents, 27.5 percent said they use only firearms, and nearly 5 percent said they use only archery equipment.

--Total responses favored the current opening date for firearms season. Moving the opening date one week later ranked second, with strong opposition to moving it two weeks later.

--Total responses strongly favored no change to the structure of firearms and muzzleloader seasons, and strongly opposed any choice with fewer days to hunt.

--Total responses supported all options for a strategically targeted antlerless-only firearms season, with most supporting a two-day October season.

--Total responses supported expanding the use of crossbows in the early archery season for hunters age 65 and older. Use in urban deer zones ranked second, followed by expansion into firearms season, and expansion into all of the early archery season.

--Respondents expressed strong support for several proposed license packages. The greatest support (75 percent) was for a reduced-cost bonus antlerless license available for early purchase, followed by a “sportsman’s bundle” mentioned previously (71 percent approval). Other options were two bonus antlerless licenses for $34 (66 percent approval) and three bonus antlerless licenses for $49 (58 percent approval). Fifteen percent of respondents did not support any of the license packages.

--Asked how many additional antlerless deer they would be willing to harvest if money were not an issue, nine percent said zero, 17 percent one, 32 percent two, 15 percent three, 9 percent four, and 17 percent more than four.

--Respondents identified the cost of additional licenses as the most likely reason they do not harvest an additional deer. Other factors influencing antlerless harvest include processing costs, and no need for an additional deer. Items not perceived to be a hindrance are lack of hunting time, deer herd ability to support additional take, and meat storage capacity.

Comments/questions may be sent to - [email protected]

For more information: Chad Stewart, Division of Fish and Wildlife, (812) 334-1137
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Woody Williams

Re: The results from Indiana Deer Hunting Online Survey

Post by Woody Williams »

TTT...........
Woody Williams

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

As a native Hoosier who goes back home to hunt with his brother annually, my biggest beef with Indiana's regulations is the exorbitant non-resident license fees. Because of these costs, I am limited to one season in my home state, and with travel expenses, that hits me hard.

It's a shame.

Compared to Indiana's fees, NC offers one unbelievable deal to out-of-state sportsmen.
Grizz
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Griz,

As you know the first NR tag is $150. That is not out of line at all with what other states charge.

The one that is not right is the $150 for the first NR antlerless bonus tag.

That should be the same as what we pay - $24 for the first and $15 for each one after that.
Woody Williams

Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Woody Williams wrote:Griz, As you know the first NR tag is $150. That is not out of line at all with what other states charge. The one that is not right is the $150 for the first NR antlerless bonus tag. That should be the same as what we pay - $24 for the first and $15 for each one after that.
Let me explain what I mean, Woody:

Those fees may not be out of line with what some other states charge ... but they're WAY out of line with what we charge non-residents.

When I go home to hunt, it's $150 bucks a deer ... $300 for TWO DEER in just ONE SEASON! If I want to hunt more than one season, they sock me again, for the same amount.

You come here to hunt, and $120 will get you SIX DEER in ANY SEASON you like, and TWO TURKEY.

For another $125, you can kill TWO WILD BOAR and ONE BEAR!

Add $10 and you're good to go on all of our WATERFOWL.

In Indiana, $600 might get me four deer.

In North Carolina, $255 could get you six deer, two turkey, two wild boar, a bear, numerous waterfowl and small game!

I'd say that's quite a contrast. As I said in my first reply, the Tarheel state offers one graciously incomparable deal compared to Indiana's fees.

I don't care what other states charge. I still say they're exorbitant! :mrgreen: :wink:

All right ... I'm waiting for the wisecracks about the comparative size of our deer. Have at it. :P :P :wink: :wink:
Grizz
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

4 deer in Indiana will cost a non-resident $348.

$150 for the first tag. That is either sex for archery or muzzleloader and buck only for gun.

The first NR bonus tag is $150 and can be filled with any hunting tool. That is way too much for an antlerless deer.

All NR bonus antlerless tags after that are $24 each.

I have brought up with the IDNR that the first NR bonus antlerles tag as being way too much money and so far they have not been receptive, even though they are trying to kill more antlerless deer..

I do not blame any NR for not buying a NR bonus antlerless tag.

NR bonus tags in KY and Illinois are $15..

If you think Indiana is high on tags look at Illinois...
Woody Williams

Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I'm sorry for the misquote. I didn't remember that the first non-resident bonus antlerless tag wasn't season-specific and could "carry over".

I was thinking of having to have a set for each season.

I did know that subsequent tags are much less.

Still, if I want to hunt for bucks in more than one season, I'm looking at a whole lot of money. When you add up gas and everything else, it matters.

I am SO sorry I didn't buy a lifetime hunting license in my home-state.

I'd gladly buy a non-resident one now, but as you know they're no longer available.

I just don't get why it's so much more money for so much less game back home. It sure ain't apples-to-apples.
Grizz
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Griz,

Read the post on the Indiana deer survey.

They are looking at this "you need a buck tag" for each season thing.

This is a carry over from our two buck limit days. Since we can now only kill one buck that needs to go...and we are working on it.

Not sure if that will apply to NRs though.

I'll keep you informed though..
Woody Williams

Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Appreciate it, Woody. :D
Grizz