You folks from Ohio.....

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

lscha

You folks from Ohio.....

Post by lscha »

Can you tell me anything about Tappan Trophy Outfitters? This is supposed to be a free range unguided hunt service. More than 2000 acres of private and conservancy property. http://www.tappantrophies.com/Tappantro ... epage.html
Out of Scio, Ohio

Thanks,
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
wabi

Re: You folks from Ohio.....

Post by wabi »

Can't help with information on the outfitter, but Scio Ohio is located in one of the top 5 counties in Ohio for deer harvest totals (2008/2009 harvest of 7454 in Harrison County).
wabi
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

I don't know what your looking for in a hunt, but after looking in there photo gallery. They have 15 deer pictures, 11 from shotgun season. Nothing that is very impressive from Ohio. I guess it all depends on what your looking for. To me that doesnt look like a good place to shot a good buck. IMO. If your just looking to get away, and do a camradery hunt. The cabins look nice, and your still hunting in Ohio you will always have a chance to shoot a good buck.
snapperdan

Post by snapperdan »

Never heard of them?When i go home i hunt about 40 min north of cincinati ! Alot of big deer there. but thet didnot get big by being careless :D
exocet 200
equinox
ground pounder mounts
bar 338 win mag
browning auto 5
Bucko

Post by Bucko »

The Tappan area is about 1 hour West of me. Tappan is actually the name of a fairly decent size lake thus Tappan Lake. I've stayed at a State lodge there before for recreation and enjoyed it and the set-up for recreation. As far as the hunt goes I have no expierence at all with the outfitter but I would say there would be problems keeping your hunt private from public interference. The Tappen area gets excessive hunting pressure and I feel the avg. bucks would be like our Jefferson County bucks and be a 6pt. at 120 lbs. field dressed. I think it would be tough to connect during archery season there but the traveling of bucks here is best starting Oct. 31 for approx. 10 days then the youth gun season opens up and hunting changes drastically[scared deer :| ]. Scio is just a very small town with old stripmining fields and cattle pastures which does produce a nice deer herd. The secret would be to be hunting near old apple trees,as here they draw the does in and the bucks have learned to search the trails directing towards the apples which will feed the deer till aprox. the 3ed. week of Oct then they are mostly eaten all up.I hope this [my opinion]helps.
Give it a try,What the heck!
cabinfever

Post by cabinfever »

I don't use any outfitters but I know the area pretty good. I would check into how much of the land is private and how much is conservancy. The conservancy land gets over hunted during the gun season. I think I will call them and see if I can stop by for a personal visit I will let you know what I think of it.
exocet 200
grounponder
lumizone
mathews switchback
high country extreme