Beat the Thermacell butane cartridge, cheap and EASY

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Beat the Thermacell butane cartridge, cheap and EASY

Post by Pydpiper »

My first few attempts I tried a second valve in the bottom of the cartridge, it did work, but I wasn't comfortable with it.
So, I grabbed a 6 pack, my Dremel and headed to the shop. I have run three of these empty so far, it has worked flawless so I figured it would be safe to share.
Tools- 1/8" drill bit, pliers, small chunk of wire and butane.

First, you need to pull the brass valve from the canister, a pair of pliers works just fine, careful not to damage the O-ring. A simple tug and it should slide right out

Now you can see the check valve when you look inside, it prevents you from refilling the canister. Use the 1/8" drill bit and drill it out carefully, there is a layer of plastic, then a thin layer of aluminum. You have to drill pretty deep, lots of stuff in there, about 3/4". Once done you can see in to the canister, shake out the drilling debris.

Now the valve gets pressed back in, easy as pie! You could add super glue at this stage, but I don't think it is nessasary.

Now it is ready to be filled, the brass valve is very similar to the valve on a car/bike tire, there is a small nipple in there that needs to be depressed to allow fluid to pass through it. My technique is a bit primitive, but worked like a charm! I cut a small tidbit of wire and dropped it in to the brass valve, once the butane is applied the pressure opens the valve and allows the transfer of fluid.

I filled 7 in about 5 minutes, the fluid exchange takes about 4 seconds to go from empty to full. Seven refills did not noticeably affect my big butane can. I use Ronson butane, I like the good stuff because I have had clogging issues in the past with off brand butane with other projects. I am going to retrofit a filling nozzle to avoid the chunk of wire, but it sure worked well.
Just like that it is over, an inexpensive way to enjoy the Thermacell for pennies. We run ours almost daily, between my work, picnics, the pool and camping every weekend they see a bit of abuse.
I hope this helps someone!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
one shot scott

Re: Beat the Thermacell butane cartridge, cheap and EASY

Post by one shot scott »

Ive been doing mine this way for a while now, Im far too cheap to buy them! It does work well!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Migabby

Post by Migabby »

Thank You. Very well done, I only have one Question. What six pack do you reccomend?

Migabby
Gold Tips
Slicks
Proud Groundpounder Mount Owner
Proud Boo String Owner
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

bstout wrote:I wonder if it would be possible to destroy the check valve with an awl?

There wouldn't be any debris left behind to possibly foul the valve.
Not sure, but at one point I ran my bit to fast and the heat caused the check valve to come unglued, it looks very similar to a mini insert for an arrow, the valve is contained inside that aluminum, and that is what gets bored out.
I think that if you ran a smaller bit in to the valve you could potentially heat that bit and pull the valve out in it's entirety, bore it outside of the canister and slip it back in.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Migabby wrote:Thank You. Very well done, I only have one Question. What six pack do you reccomend?

Migabby
Sleemans. :D
WMU 91
Boo string
munch

Post by munch »

nice how to. i see a guy a while ago showing the same thing but you did a much better job
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

now if we could figure out what the blue stuff they use to re-soak the used mats it would be awesome.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Good thinking Crit'r-Done 8)
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

I like it going to have to give it a try
Tenpoint Matrix
munch

Post by munch »

went back and had a look at the AT site i guess it's the same way this guy started doing them.i can't believe the flak the guy gets on his thread for his idea
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1214232
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Threads like that are the reason I do not visit archery talk.
However, it is nice to see that there is a fill valve available to fit the butane can, that was the head scratcher for me. I am going to make it a mission to find one of those.
The filling from the bottom idea is a good one too, I had mine working but wasn't comfortable with it, I tried to source a threaded valve, that would be the best way, just couldn't find one.

I looked high and low for a way to fill these things, once I took the dremel to it I knew right away what had to happen.

Side note, one of the bottles I did ran empty overnight, I am pretty sure it was one that I first started experimenting with bit sizes and to figure out how the check valve worked. No harm done, it was still in the shop. Looking back I wish I had numbered them to keep track of any issues and fill cycles.
In that AT thread a guy says that he thinks the O ring will not take to being unscrewed too often to refill, that is BS, we have the Thermacell "Mini" in the family van, it has to e unscrewed each use, there is no "on and off" switch.
WMU 91
Boo string
Keating

Post by Keating »

D-Allethrin is the active ingredient.
http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/Docum ... 4_msds.pdf

You can buy it as cow insecticide wash at a co-op or TSC in gallon jugs.

foofoo wrote:now if we could figure out what the blue stuff they use to re-soak the used mats it would be awesome.
Hazmat

Post by Hazmat »

I would not recommend any one attempt this as Butane is extremely Flammable.
Butane gas is heavier then oxygen and pools pockets of gas at the lowest point on the floor.
The L.E.L. for Butane (Lower Explosion Limit) is 1.5%, which means that 1.5% mixed with 98.5% air in that area will form an explosive gas mixture that with any source of ignition (pilot lite from furnace or hot water tank) will explode. I believe forum members here would know better than smoking while attempting this so I will not comment on that!
I have attended two drug lab explosions that occurred due to pilot lite's igniting Butane during the extraction of cannabis oil from marajuana, in both cases people went to the hospital with first and second degree burns with one home being knocked off its foundation and glass from windows landing up to 120 yards away.

If you are going to attempt this please do it out side or in a well ventilated area not inside your home and I would recommend storing the refilled cannisters outside.
Never argue with an idiot; they will only bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience!

EQUINOX
Munch Mount
NGSS
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

1.5 OZ of butane is like a cotton ball compared to what I carry in my pocket these days to fire up my flashlights. :D
WMU 91
Boo string
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Great how to ! Will be trying this very soon.