experiment - beef jerky attempt #1

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

experiment - beef jerky attempt #1

Post by wabi »

Well I finally did it - beef instead of venison. :shock: :roll: :lol:

Camping season is here for me and my 10 year old son and we're trying new things this year. Went to hammocks instead of a tent, bought backpacks so we wouldn't be tied to the truck, experimenting with lightweight equipment since we plan to pack in our camp.
We are trying a few new items to eat, and sticking with some of the old items we have enjoyed for years such a jerky. I was pleasantly surprised how good the freeze-dried meals are, but buying prepared and packaged food can add up quickly. Haven't figured out an alternative for freeze-dried, but after buying a few packs of beef jerky I soon decided since I already own a slicer & dehydrator it might just be cheaper to make my own jerky.
Went to the local grocery and picked up 3# of lean beef (London Broil Roast) and sliced it thin. Added the recommended amount of "High Mountain" jerky seasoning & cure, and it's marinating in the fridge right now. The total cost so far is about what 6 oz of packaged jerky costs, so I'm expecting to save a few $$$ by doing my own. If it turns out good I'll be watching for more beef at sale prices. :lol:

Guess next fall I need to get an extra deer for jerky making. :roll:
Ended up canning a lot of the deer I got last year, and while it makes for good eating and easy storage it isn't very portable. :lol:
wabi
Grizzly Adam

Re: experiment - beef jerky attempt #1

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Jerky making is a rewarding hobby indeed, Wabi! You'll love it. :D

Hey, Bob ... what's your blood sodium level? :shock: :shock: :P :P :lol: :lol:

They won't have to bury you when you croak.

You're mummified already! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Grizz
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm , jerky ! getting hungry just thinkin about it !

Camping with the young lad ... lots of adventures to write about ! Cool !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
wabi

Post by wabi »

Pulled the experimental batch from the dehydrator a few minutes ago.
jerky.JPG
5 bags full which contain 19.2 oz of jerky.
I know, there's only 4 in the pic, but Michael took off with the first bag while I was packaging/weighing the rest. :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

According to my math this is the way to go.
3# good lean beef - $9.
Jerky seasoning/cure - $1.
2.4 KWH electricity for the dehydrator - $0.29
total for 19 oz jerky - $10.29 or 54¢/oz.

WalMart beef jerky in the big bag is around $10. for 6 oz or $1.67/oz.

My savings on this batch was about $21. at those prices, plus I know it was good beef and processed properly.

As for sodium levels Grizz, I have no fear. :lol:
I use lots of salt on my food and recently had a problem with my heart skipping beats. The doctor did the EKG & a full line of blood tests - and the blood tests showed all the important things they look at (including sodium) was well within the range they want it to be in.
I finally figured out the source of the problem on my own. Some Ginseng tea I had purchased and tried. :roll: That's one of the side-effects of ginseng. :shock:
wabi
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

The good thing is you can change your recipe to suit your taste bud's, we use to have a little contest to see who made the best, sure looks good.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

It's just a treat as I tell my friends because I give a lot of it away to the locals.
That's great to hear Bob cause we're moving in just down the street. I'll stop by and pick up my cut tomorow :wink: .
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

bstout wrote: Once you start the whole bag will get consumed. It better be a tiny bag! :P :wink: :D
Indeed. That has been my modus operandi when consuming jerky for many years.

I make mine from ground meat and dry spices ... I extrude it in lassos so I can just hang a coil on my shoulder and have a continuous feed. :P :lol: :wink:
Grizz
wabi

Post by wabi »

wabi wrote:I know, there's only 4 in the pic, but Michael took off with the first bag while I was packaging/weighing the rest.
bstout wrote:Because it'll give you the trotts, bigtime if you eat too much of it.
Not sure about the trots, but when I came home a couple hours after Michael took off with that bag full I found the empty bag on the table. Asked him if he ate it all, and he told me, "NO, I gave mom one piece." :roll:
I'm not sure if he had the trots, but yesterday he had more gas than the Hindenburg. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hopefully we can go camping later this week, if the rain stops for a night. :?
I'm planning on taking another bag of jerky along to supplement our rations. I'll be sure to hang his hammock downwind of mine - and downwind of the campfire. :lol:
wabi
huntone

Post by huntone »

Never had the trots from eating jerky :lol: and I've eaten a heck of a lot at a time, but I do agree that the young deer I take for meat are better tasting than the older bucks. I put almost the whole deer, young doe, in jerky this year instead of using the 3 year old buck and WOW what a difference in texture and flavor. Everyone liked it better. I use a packaged mix for jerky as I like it better then other recipes I've used.

Makin me hungry Wabi ! :shock: :D

I'm making some deer jerky and chile next week. :wink:
Dale

Ibex
Lumizone
Dan Miller mount