Used Excals - Anyone ever notice this...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ninepointer

Used Excals - Anyone ever notice this...

Post by ninepointer »

Anyone ever notice that the "big" Excal models seem to come up for sale fairly often? On the other hand, the turnover of Exocets, Vixens & Phoenixs' does not seem to be nearly as brisk. I'm not sayin' anything, I'm just sayin' :wink:
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
hawg hunter

Re: Used Excals - Anyone ever notice this...

Post by hawg hunter »

Well I can't speak for everyone but when I bought my first xbow bigger and faster were the reason to buy. now as I've gotten older all the #s and fps can not take the place of a well plced shot. with the liter bows you can practice more with less fatigue, speed is wasted on the passthrough losing a Bhd or bolt in the grd. here in Texas a good shot distance is 30 yds or so , a Vixen or Phoenix will get the job done. My wife and I shoot 175# class xbows. I trded my exomax for a phoenix.
casper

Post by casper »

You are correct sir. I do have an Equinox though, I'm over compensating for something. :oops:
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I would figure too much into it . . . could be more of the faster bows sold, so, there are more out there for sale. Percentages.

I enjoy both my bows. :) However, I hunt almost exclusively with the Exomax. I like target shooting with the vixen. Both are excellent at hitting the target.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

sumner4991 wrote:I would figure too much into it . . . could be more of the faster bows sold, so, there are more out there for sale. Percentages.
Good point :)
wabi

Post by wabi »

sumner wrote:I would figure too much into it . . . could be more of the faster bows sold, so, there are more out there for sale. Percentages.
Could also be a lot of us are getting older and the benefits of a lighter bow outweigh the slight ethical hunting distance advantage of the faster bow. :lol:
Less weight to carry, less effort to cock, plenty of power for any deer (with a well placed shot), longer string life.............

I'm getting older, I love deer hunting, I'll wait until the deer gets close before I shoot. If it doesn't get close enough today I'll have the pleasure of hunting it again tomorrow. :roll: :wink:
No - My Phoenix is not for sale! :lol: :lol:
wabi
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

I'm a tall guy and I've hunted with nothing but my ol' Exocet, but I have to admit that when I picked up and shot my wife's new Vixen II, it felt really good! Too bad for me and lucky for my wife that the Vixen is pink! :wink:
wabi

Post by wabi »

ninepointer wrote:I'm a tall guy and I've hunted with nothing but my ol' Exocet, but I have to admit that when I picked up and shot my wife's new Vixen II, it felt really good! Too bad for me and lucky for my wife that the Vixen is pink! :wink:
Just get a pink cap that says "I support breast cancer research & awareness" to wear hunting and steal her Vixen. :lol: :lol: :lol:
wabi
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I had couple E'cet 200 & couple phoenix & one old vixen. Both 200's & 05 Phoenix are history. I am comfortable with short n light as in vixen's they're just the cats Meow. The CB seen in most of my kill pic's is my vixen, oh yes & its really fast !
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I started like Tim The Tool Guy, all the power I could get=Equinox. But I like to shoot a lot and pulling the big bow wasn't fun for a septuagenarian with multiple cuts to various parts of the mainframe. So I downsized to a Vortex. SWEET. But it's the neglected Phoenix that I rescued from a sporting goods wall that gets my attention most often. No sexy thumbhole stock. Tho new, her camo looks like two brands. But she puts them where it counts, every time, with little wear and tear on the string ....or me. I'm guessing that there are others that have gone through the same process. Vixen? Hmmmmm, could be. But the Phoenix STAYS.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

I bought a Phoenix, great bow. I bought an Equinox, great bow. Still love the Phoenix. Fits me better, and easier to use when shooting a lot. Can't shoot the Equinox as many times as I can the Phoenix. Strongly thinking of selling the Equinox. Will make up my mind once the doctors give me the green light.
Thanks,
Raymond
TPM

Post by TPM »

The hunting world has been caught up in a "magnum mentality" for years now. We've seen this in the rifle world for decades. I used to hunt with a camp where it was all hardwoods and swamp edge hunting and shots rarely over 50-60 yards. You should have seen some of the cannons guys where buying to use up there. :roll: The same goes for the shotgun world. The manufacturers would like you to believe you can't kill a goose or a turkey with anything less than a 3 1/2" shell loaded with an ounce and a half or more of shot. Truly preposterous!
I shoot a Phoenix and for hunting I need nothing more powerful and for 3D I want nothing harder to cock. My arms are tired enough after shooting 40 targets on a course with my Phoenix. :|
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
lvt01

Post by lvt01 »

I too have the same song. Got bit by the speed/power bug a while back and bought another brand's 225 lbs CB. I got tired of worn out servings and accuracy issues. Decided to buy an Excalibur Vortex...so I sold the 225 lbs CB. Then I happened upon an Ibex...it followed me home cuz it fit in my hands so nice and was a lot less effort to cock. Now...a few weeks ago I found a Vixen II that I couldn't let sit on the shelf all by herself. :wink: I'm finding the more I shoot the Vixen...the less often I take the Vortex out. Have been toying with the idea of selling the Vortex, but I can't bring myself to do it just yet. I still haven't prove to myself that the other 2 can harvest those 4 legged flea bags as well as the Vortex can. Maybe someday!
theoldarcher

Post by theoldarcher »

Could just be the evolution of a novice hunter into fine tuned predator. :idea: :lol:
Boo

Post by Boo »

Could be that as they mature as a hunter they get better at ranging, figure out that most whitetail are shot at close range and possibly they see what happens when they whack at one past 30/40 yards.
Some people just like stepping on rakes