Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Anyone try this stuff?

Post by Boo »

Some people just like stepping on rakes
Boo

Re: Anyone try this stuff?

Post by Boo »

Someone volunteered this at another forum.

Whitetail Deer Homemade MineralRecipe
Makes 200 lbs. for about $30.00

Ingredients:

1 part Di-calcium phosphate - This is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores, it comes in a 50 lbs. bag at around $11.00. Buy 1 bag.
2 parts Trace mineral salt - The red and loose kind without medications. This comes in a 50 lbs. bag at around $7.00. Buy 2 bags.
1 part Stock salt, ice cream salt, or rock salt - Comes in 50 lb bags at around $5.00. Buy 1 bag.

Directions:
Use a 3 pound or similar size coffee can to use as your measure for each part of the mix.
Mix all ingredients together well, but not until ready to use. Keep all ingredients separate until ready to put to use.
Dig or tear up a circle in the soil about 3 feet in diameter and 6 inches deep. Mix your mineral mixture with the soil.

Maintenance:

Replenish in 6 months with a fresh supply of mineral, then once each year after that.
Do not put it all (200 lbs) in one spot at once. You have to buy that much because it comes in 50 # bags. That recipe will do three mineral licks. You will not have to replenish it for a long time. Mix the minerals up with the dirt!
Tom

Post by Tom »

Don I remember reading about a recipe like the one you just mentioned more then a few years ago. Back then guys claimed that they had good luck in starting mineral sites. They had deer coming and using it within a year where deer were not used to having a mineral site around.

Another good thing that you might like to try is what I did at my uncles and the deer loved it. I got a standard salt block from the store TSC. It is about 6x6x8 tapered solid block of salt that will last over a year. Cost is under $10.

You can find a TSC store in Bowmanville (liberty & 401) on the way to your new property.

Have fun.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

WAY to much salt! Not good for the deer your baiting.
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

never tried either of the above ...i use a block called sweet lixx...it lasts all year and runs about 12dollars ...deer seem to hit it more steady than others that i have tried
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Hey maybe someone can answer this question. I live on the coast, the deer can eat salt marsh grass, do you think a salt lick would work in my stand location which is not that far from the shore?
Thanks,
Raymond
bdog

Post by bdog »

Hey Ray,do they eat the marsh grass?If so,put some of that on your bait pile....
http://autumnbreezebrittanys.com
catcher

Post by catcher »

I just use the blue salt blocks from the local feed store. I have tried many varietys of mineral attractants and really imo the blue block out performs them all. The deer do not seem to like the brown or the white blocks as much as the blue. And they last for 4 to 6 months. The deer in my area wear holes deep into the sides from there tongues licking it over and over. And when it is gone the deer will paw up the ground and eat it to get even more minerals out of it. About three years ago I put my camera out over a salt lick I had going. I had a blue block out a brown block , a sweet mineral lick from the hunting store and a few other varietys I picked up at bass pro. They all got eaten but the majority of pics were over the blue block. The worst was that sweet block you can get. You will never catch me buying one of those gimik salt attractions anymore. Waste of money.!!
Matrix Blackout 380
TriggerTech
Phoenix
STS
Boo custom strings
whateverworks

Post by whateverworks »

Have used that recipe Boo, works great for us, is hit year round but mostly in the spring and early to mid summer. I'm not sure of your prices,? i wasn't the one who bought the ind. ingredients but ours cost quite a bit more.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Donno about the prices. I assume they are US prices
Fergie10

Post by Fergie10 »

unclefester wrote:Hey Boo,

I have tried Blaze from Rack Stacker.
The stuff smells great and the deer dig the ground up trying to get at it.

Ken.
i sat in on a seminar with the owner of rack stacker and would recommend his products as they are made specifically for Canada's different climates check em out....http://rackstacker.ca/
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

hey boo did u end up trying grims ...any reports

[quote="Boo"]http://www.grimsmonstermix.com/monstermix.htm[/quote]
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

Don I use luckybuck and the deer hit it all year long here in North Carolina. The horn mass on our deer has increased in the past 2 years.