Glue line, how to

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Cossack

Glue line, how to

Post by Cossack »

Looking for tips to improve my glue line on vanes. Using the Gorilla brand cyanoacrelate (crazy glue),very happy with it's performance but applicator tip is less than ideal for an even, thin line w/o surplus. Any tricks of the trade welcomed.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
ncstan

Re: Glue line, how to

Post by ncstan »

You might want to give the Vista glue bottles a shot.They come with thin tips and are availiable with metal or plastic tips. Stan
Boo

Post by Boo »

Hey Boris, have you tried evening out the glue on the base by running a tooth pick over the base after gluing?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

No, but you can bet I'm gonna. When Boo speaks I'm all ears. :D
Incurable tinkerer.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

ncstan wrote:You might want to give the Vista glue bottles a shot.They come with thin tips and are availiable with metal or plastic tips. Stan
I'll have a look, Stan. One thing I do like about the Gorilla glue bottle is a self opening tip, never gets plugged and glue don't dry out.
Incurable tinkerer.
TYE

Post by TYE »

I was actually Thinkin this same thing the other night, I'm gonna try to Apply half and spread it the other Half of the vane base.
Stash

Post by Stash »

I usually put a dot of glue every half inch of vane and use the applicator tip to spread it out over the whole base. Lock-Tite gel.
Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter »

Cossack,

Try looking in an airplane model store.

I have found plastic tips that slide onto the end of a super glue tip that will lay a very thin strip of glue. The tips are packaged in tens, are very inexpensive and they are reusable
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

I run a Q-tip down each side of the vane after I pull it out of the AZ EZ fletch. I slowly roll the Q-tip as I go down the vane and I find that it picks up any excess glue and leaves a clean glue line.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
TYE

Post by TYE »

All good ideas.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Thanks for the tips guys. Did some last night using the multiple dot method and spread it out with the applicator tip. Worked much better than one bigger glob spread out from top to bottom. My problem has been trying to do it too fast thinking that the glue will dry out before finishing all three (EZ fletch). Slowing down, multiple dots and using a hat brim mounted magnifier made for a VERY neat line.
PS Thanks for the tip on glues too. Have tried at least a half dozen, Gorilla brand cyanoacrylate works best for me. It has the consistency of LocTite gel but is latex fortified making it flexible less inclined to turn brittle. Holds very well.
Incurable tinkerer.
Rich

Post by Rich »

I have been using the Loctite Gel, I get it at Walmart for less than $3 a bottle. You don't get the over flow like the liquid super glue. It has been sticking a lot better than the Goat Tuff glue I use to use. If any does ooze out the side of the vane I just wipe it off with a rag.

Rich
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

If just looking for good glue bottles with small applicator tips... Look at a fly shop or store that sells fly tying equipment. Sounds like just the bottle you are looking for.
Why ride when you can walk!
Keating

Post by Keating »

Agreed.
I tried the Goat Tuff first, and found it way more messy than the Gorilla brand. I've been thinking about a better applicator too.
I may try the dots every 1/2" method next as well.

I've been thinking of trying these, as an applicator only. use it to suck some glue from the bottle, apply to vanes, then return the excess back to the bottle when done, and clean the applicator well with acetone.
Lee Valley Glue Bottles
or one of these sets
Lee Valley Glue Syringes

ETA: After I posted that, I took a run up to Lee Valley and picked up a set of each. Will follow up after I give them a try.
Cossack wrote: PS Thanks for the tip on glues too. Have tried at least a half dozen, Gorilla brand cyanoacrylate works best for me. It has the consistency of LocTite gel but is latex fortified making it flexible less inclined to turn brittle. Holds very well.
Keating

Post by Keating »

Hey all.

I promised a follow up and have been too busy to get on here in a while.

Put together the last of my new arrows last week.
Had 4 made for deer season, but figured I should do the rest of the shafts up to test the syringe method and have some spare arrows as backup.

Anyhow, the plunger in the syringe sticks bad. the glue makes the piston stick in the cylinder, and even with the largest bore needle in the kit, it took a lot of pressure to get the glue to flow, then when you release pressure, if you don't pull back enough to draw air into the syringe, the glue keeps balling up on the tip and dripping.
I may try it again with a much lower viscosity glue. I like the Goat Tuff and the Gorilla for the high viscosity with applying, but doesn't work with the syringe.

Paul
Keating wrote: I've been thinking of trying these, as an applicator only. use it to suck some glue from the bottle, apply to vanes, then return the excess back to the bottle when done, and clean the applicator well with acetone.
Lee Valley Glue Bottles
or one of these sets
Lee Valley Glue Syringes

ETA: After I posted that, I took a run up to Lee Valley and picked up a set of each. Will follow up after I give them a try.