Pole barn design

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Pole barn design

Post by Boo »

Does anyone know where I can get a pole barn design at a reasonable price? I had one quote at $750.00! :shock: I thought that was pretty bananas for a relatively simple design.
This is what I had in mind. http://www.pole-barn.info/pole-barn-far ... 04040.html
Some people just like stepping on rakes
one shot scott

Re: Pole barn design

Post by one shot scott »

Boo wrote: I had one quote at $750.00! :shock:
I cant pretend to know too much about pole barns Don, but I would by that barn at that price!!!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I just knowed them when i see them. $750 is that roofed cart port style no sides or ends ? Heck it will cost me over 1K fer a 12x12' shed
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Boo

Post by Boo »

Apparently the word design is invisible!
I need a pole barn design with specs to bring to the county office for them to issue a building permit. You both been drinking? LOL! :shock:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
carvedtip

Post by carvedtip »

You may want to do a little planning before you settle on a set of prints for a pole barn. It is best to know what features are important to meet your needs before jumping right into a design. Below is a link that should help you make some of those decisions. After you list what needs you have you can look for plans that incorporate the majority of items on your wish list.

http://hansenpolebuildings.com/pdfs/Pla ... ldings.pdf

When I built my pole barn I found that working with a local contractor on my "rough design" was sufficient for what I wanted as far as how the building was to look. Like anything else the devil is in the details and that is where your planning guide comes into place. I would also recommend that you shy away from the majority of "kit" barns as many if not most seem to skimp on the quality of materials.

Back home in WI a lot of the pole barns are built by the Amish and you really get a good barn. Down here 100% are built by those that could not get a green card and you have to watch everything if you general the building yourself. Thats where the good local contractor comes into place if you want your barn turn key. If you have little experience with the building trades I highly recommend you get yourself that good local contractor. Good luck with it.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Yep. reading it in the morning makes sense. I gotta stop reading so late at night :roll: :lol:
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I planned and built my own for around $5,700, 8 yrs ago, floor included. Did every scrap of work. Fun but the minute it was finished was when it became too small :D
Think big Don.
Last edited by Cossack on Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

we build our own:) its pretty simple depending on what you want done. As long as its square;)

try national barn and see if they can give you some designs
Brenjen

Post by Brenjen »

Without knowing what the county office requires it'd be hard to recommend anything. BUUuuuut with that said; you're a seemingly intelligent fella....couldn't you get some graph paper & sketch out a design? Since a pole barn is basically just a frame with sheet metal covering it should be easy enough to cobble something together that they'd find acceptable unless they require a licensed architect to have drawn it up.

Then you could give your design to the contractor & he could use it as a rough guide to give you exactly what you want without causing yourself grief with the county.

Obviously I don't know if that idea would work for you but it'd sure cost you less than $750 for the graph paper, compass, ruler & pencil :mrgreen:
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

I know down the road your going to build a little cabin :?: may as well do it all in one shot, a little cabin with a garage attached, log cabin kits, you got any money left :lol:

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Boo so sorry, my fault. I assumed when you said Designs it was multitude of diff models. :oops:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
charlie4

Post by charlie4 »

Boo, try Home Hardware they have some pretty good designs with stamped engineered plans. The prices are pretty resonable. You may have to visit a Home Hardware outside the big city. Good Luck
sleddog2

Post by sleddog2 »

[color=#0000BF]Boo, why don't you check into these solar panel buildings. There are companies that will build you a building for free (in Ontario), if you allow them to install solar panels on the roof. color]
Sleddog
siteturbo

Post by siteturbo »

FYI, For those of you interested, there is a bulletin board/forum dedicated directly to barns at www.BarnsBB.com :-)

One cool thing is that they have a moderator that is a Professional Engineer that peeks in from time to time and answers questions about designs and construction.
Allan

Post by Allan »

Boo,

In 1998 eastern Ontario experienced an exceptional ice storm. There was freezing rain for 3 days non stop. Western Quebec and Eastern Ontario had never experienced this since record keeping. The ice on fields was thick enough to skate in ( personal experience) A blade of grass sticking out of the snow became an icicle 1 inch thick. This storm was punishing to trees. In Eastern Ontario, white cedars are very popular, and they took a severe beating. I remember my father saying that he could not relax outside because all he could hear was the cracking of the trees endlessly.

On the positive side, when nature deals you lemons, you make a sawmill and build a barn.

We drew up our own plans, and only had to get the rafters signed off by a professional engineer.

This was in Alexandria (Glengarry). The guy we had to see for the permit understood what we were doing, understood the design (over kill for sure) and only asked for the rafters to be approved. I can send you what we did if you think it will help. Just remember it is ungraded wood where 8" minimum diameter tamarac was used as headers 8 foot between cedar posts set @ 5 feet deep. The maximum height of the posts was 10 feet, and maximum height of the building is 16 feet. let me know if you think I can help.