OFAH members?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mr. Dynamite

OFAH members?

Post by Mr. Dynamite »

Are there any OFAH members here? What are the advantages of being an OFAH member? Is the biggest perk really being able to say that you are insured when you are asking permission to hunt new land? Is it worth the money?
Want to buy a K98 Mauser 8mm. If you have an old one sitting around someone brought back from the war please message me!
agingcrossbower

Re: OFAH members?

Post by agingcrossbower »

Never heard of it. Must be something Canada came up with. Yes? :?:
TPM

Post by TPM »

For our friends outside of Ontario it's the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters. It's and organization of hunters, anglers and outdoors enthusiests with, I believe, about 80,000 - 90,000 members. http://www.ofah.org
I've been a member for 20+ years and while I certainly do have my issue's with them I think over-all they're a pretty good organization. They're our strongest voice in Ontario for hunting, fishing and gun ownership issue's. Membership includes a magazine subscription so it's not a bad deal. The biggest perk is not the insurance. The biggest perk is that you're supporting a voice that's going to fight for issue's that concern Ontario outdoorsmen (and women :D ). Join.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
N8tr Boy

Post by N8tr Boy »

I to am a member but for 31 years (since high school). Any organization has their pros and cons but we all agree to disagree sometimes but we all come to the same conclusion. We Love Hunting ,Fishing ... The Outdoors. If we don't band together the opposition will shut us down in a heart beat.
Exomax
GT II Lazer arrows
125gr expandables
White Tiger 2" Blazer vanes
Chartruese Custom Boo string
Stricknine Expandables
Dabbling with Trad 55#
Mathews Q2 60-70#
Beman arrows
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

We are members too, even my 3 year old is card carrying member. :D
Money well spent.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
TPM

Post by TPM »

even my 3 year old is card carrying member.
So is our 5 year old. :D

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
TPM

Post by TPM »

I to am a member but for 31 years (since high school).
Since high school! Wasn't it the Ontario Federation of Hunters and Gatherers back then? :wink: :lol:

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

I have been a member for 20 years (since my hunter's apprenticeship days) and I have had issues with the organization in the past, which I have made them aware of. That's pretty much the same with any organization these days. You can't keep every member happy and you're going to make some decisions that will rub some members the wrong way.

The insurance, well, is a farce. No claim has ever been paid out and it's like pulling teeth to try and get a copy of the overall 'policy'. I don't think anyone has been successful yet and FOA requests (as far as I know) haven't resulted in anything.

The only reason I maintain my membership is due to the fact that you now have to be an OFAH member in order to hunt a lot of public land in Southern Ontario. The Grand River Conservation Authority and the Simcoe County Forests both require OFAH membership in order to hunt the properties. They claim it's due to the insurance. See previous statement regarding the insurance to know that's a load of bunk.

In my opinion, the 'old guard' that is still on the OFAH board needs to go and lots of fresh blood needs to be put in. Some of those folks have taken their positions too far and have beneifited from it (for their own personal gain).
TPM

Post by TPM »

The only reason I maintain my membership is due to the fact that you now have to be an OFAH member in order to hunt a lot of public land in Southern Ontario. The Grand River Conservation Authority and the Simcoe County Forests both require OFAH membership in order to hunt the properties. They claim it's due to the insurance. See previous statement regarding the insurance to know that's a load of bunk.
One of my biggest issue's with them.

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

i'm a member of 2 years running ..... i have emailed them on numerous occasions rarely get responses..if any
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

Mr. Dynamite wrote:Are there any OFAH members here? What are the advantages of being an OFAH member? Is the biggest perk really being able to say that you are insured when you are asking permission to hunt new land? Is it worth the money?

That is one of them and if you want to hunt any of the Simcoe County Forests in this area you have to be a member as well, for the insurance reasons. 8)
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
Mr. Dynamite

Post by Mr. Dynamite »

What would it cost to get that kind of insurance through an agent? I think that it would sound good to a landowner to hear you say you are insured, but is that one sentance and a magazine really worth 45+ bucks to me? Not that I don't want to support the voice that they have in government, but it is too early in life for me -- I am just trying to make ends meet and find some land to hunt! :D
Want to buy a K98 Mauser 8mm. If you have an old one sitting around someone brought back from the war please message me!
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

I've been a member for over 20 years and all I can say is, THANK GOODNESS FOR THE O.F.A.H.!

Now the OFAH doesn't win all the fights and, as in the case of any club or organization, I don't agree with them all the time. But I can tell you in no uncertain terms that, if not for the OFAH's hard work over 80+ years, we hunters in Ontario would be in a heck of a mess.

My biggest criticism of the OFAH is that they do not toot their own horn enough. Its amazing what is happening and how much work they are doing behind the scenes. It wasn't until I started attending my local OFAH Zone meetings that my eyes were truly opened. To get a sense of this, read the OFAH Annual report: http://www.ofah.org/report/

If I had to belong to only one hunting or fishing organization, it would be the OFAH. Money well spent.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
JRS

Post by JRS »

Mr. Dynamite wrote:Are there any OFAH members here? What are the advantages of being an OFAH member? Is the biggest perk really being able to say that you are insured when you are asking permission to hunt new land? Is it worth the money?

Look no farther than the owners of this board - Excalibur. I believe they have been gold sustaining members (corporate donors) for a number or years. And yes, I have also been a member for many years. While not perfect, I feel they are the best voice for anglers and hunters on issues specific to this province (i.e. wild turkey re-introduction, expanded Sunday hunting).
Pinpoint

Post by Pinpoint »

I'v been a mamber for the last 5 years. I can think of no reason not to renew. They are our loudest voice when it comes to hunting and fishing issues in Ontario. When this idiotic gun registry is finally laid to rest, it will be because of the work put in by the OFAH!
2016 Matrix 350LE, Munchmount, RBB, Hawke XB1
Wolverine, Munchmount
Vixenmaster Strings