Rattle bag v. rattling antlers

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ninepointer

Rattle bag v. rattling antlers

Post by ninepointer »

Who here has had any success (or near success :wink: ) with a rattle bag. I've come to the conclusion that main reason why I have not done a lot of rattling is that carrying my synthetic rattling antlers with me is a PIA (not to mention that I don't want to get mistaken for a buck!). I'm thinking of getting a rattle bag instead because it is much more compact, convenient and safe to carry. Any thoughts/suggestions?
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
agingcrossbower

Re: Rattle bag v. rattling antlers

Post by agingcrossbower »

I recently switched to the bag for the same reasons. I can do no worse. :mrgreen:
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

I have used both antlers and a rattle bag. To my knowledge, using real antlers brought in one deer. Using the rattling bag I found immediate success and have brought in many bucks including one really nice one....which I did not get, but that is another story.

I use the rattling bag sparingly and although there is not 100% success with it I bring in enough to keep up my interest in trying different things with the bag. I highly recommend using one and carrying them out to the stand and back is much, much easier. Just clip it onto your belt and go.

One funny thing was that one time I rattled imitating a really good fight. Naturally I had taken the bag off my belt (I don't always take them off though) to make the sound louder. I had about given up after doing this 3 times (rattling and waiting). I then simply reached down and placed the rattling bag onto the bottom of the stand but neglected to snap it shut tight. Buck came in and as I was moving slightly to ready the shot my foot moved the rattling bag! Nuts! End of that hunt was fast as that buck shot out of there now. Lesson learned.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I tried synthetic antlers & real antlers no luck with either. Never tried the bag already lost money on the fake antlers, :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Bob64

Post by Bob64 »

Whatever you use, make sure the deer can't get downwind of your position!!! Set up so there's an open field or a pond downwind of you otherwise you'll get busted every time. I've found that the big bucks use there nose before there eyes to see whats making all the racket. Good luck.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

i get the rattle bags with the wooden peices in them.. those sound the best and not like plastic. I dont carry real antlers anymore for the same reasons above. Get a good rattle bag with about 10inch wooden peices in them. The bigger the better the sound. The smaller the bag, the more it sounds fake to me
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

I use the bag and have called in bucks. I havent carried horns in years there just to much trouble for me. Crazy if you dont mind what brand has the wood in the bag.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

rt2bowhunter wrote:I use the bag and have called in bucks. I havent carried horns in years there just to much trouble for me. Crazy if you dont mind what brand has the wood in the bag.

im not 100% sure.. i have 2 of them and all the wooden rattle bags sound better. I think its the hunter specialities one? Its not expensive.. maybe 8-12bucks? Most stores usually have 5-6 different ones and the wooden ones just seem to have that more realistic sound. I never really rattle hard either, just soft rattling works best for me
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

I just strap my ten point antlers on my backpack and head into the bush. Nice to beable to show them off and use them. :) :)
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

I rattle real soft and throw in a few grunts also. I never knew they made one with wood rods or what ever they are. I will try and find one.
Thanks
secret

Post by secret »

Real antlers work!!! Just use 2 grunt calls[1 high pitched and 1 low pitched] they come in so fast sometimes you need a shooter while your rattling.One of my friends didnt believe me so i took him out...8 min later...215lb 9 point!!!! needless to say he rattles now!!{he hunted this buck for months..... i hunted him for 8min.]
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I use the rattle bag along with my Scarface buck decoy.I used it last year for the first time in november in the morning.It was around 6:45am and i set up the buck about 15yds from my ladder stand and then hit the rattle bag,i heard a deer coming thru the brush about 150yds away,i was thinking it was going to be a huge buck but ended up being a large doe,she came up to my stand at 10yds and watched the decoy for a few minites and then walked away.I also rattled in a 7pt buck with the bag.We also use the buck decoy in january on a alfalfa field to draw in deer.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
phil

Post by phil »

I have had success using the rattling bag. Plus its small and compact and fits in my fanny pack!...i have had success just prior to the rut and in the rut!
....Work To Live....Live To Hunt
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

secret wrote:Real antlers work!!! Just use 2 grunt calls[1 high pitched and 1 low pitched] they come in so fast sometimes you need a shooter while your rattling.One of my friends didnt believe me so i took him out...8 min later...215lb 9 point!!!! needless to say he rattles now!!{he hunted this buck for months..... i hunted him for 8min.]

its tons of variables that come into play though... they have to be looking for a fight or curious about whats going on. The buck to doe ratio has to be very good for it to work also

ive hunted bucks for years and had someone come out and hunt for 5mins and he happened to follow a doe across the field 25 yards from them so i wouldnt compare things that way :lol:

sometimes it works.. sometimes it doesnt. I never really rattle unless I see one off across the field and im trying to get him closer. 80% of the time it wont bring them in. When it does, you are in for a show :D

always setup to shoot downwind of where you rattle! Always :)
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Ive always been told that nothing beats the real thing, so I always carried real antlers. However while climbing in the stand last season it occured to me that in the event of a fall, these antlers that I have on me would quickly cause some serious damage!! :shock: Im now looking for a rattle sack!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-