old forum members never die, they just fade away......

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

why have they left!

Change of forum layout.
11%
Lack of respect.
27%
Lack of interest.
9%
Lack of time.
13%
All (or most) of the above.
24%
Other.
16%

Total votes: 45

bob1961

Re: old forum members never die, they just fade away......

Post by bob1961 »

i enjoy this forum for the excalibur crossbow info one really can't find else where....i avoid the other political junk and stuff if it don't interest me....i give my prayer and thoughts when i see where they are needed or asked for when i do see them....i feel i have added my info on things here that i can....there are a few i would like to meet some day, boo, wabi, bstout, vixchic, raymond to name a few off the top of my head, sorry if i left some names out :wink: ....but without going through the forum to find names....the new forum format, i got used to it and i get to where i want quickly now....we are hunters that should ride together instead of across the river from each other, so to speak....i'm over at OTB forum now from munch's advice for moose hunting in the future, i see boo there too :wink: ....i like the people here, some are like friends i've known in person for years with there wisdom they have given me and others, to those people please don't go :wink: .............bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Hey y'all what makes members come & leave. Not just one or two things but as many as a half dz. Sometimes we bicker (i am guitly) sometimes life gets in the way & our Hobby or passion of CB hunting gets pushed aside. I have dropped several Forums, some i kept picking up virus or trojan horse. Since i have picked up my CB's & using them to hunt. I have about oiled up my 2 rifles & 4 ML's. Some its a new thing they soon loose the desire for. I have met some great ppl here & on HNI have some of my best friends here.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Pinpoint

Post by Pinpoint »

I am new to this forum so I don't know how this forum "used to be". For myself now, I love it here. I read this forum every night. I don't always post but I have been on here every day since I joined. Sure their are some folks who feel strongly about certain products or issues and they may try to convince us why their thoughts are valid. The thing is not to be offended by others if their opinons differ from your own. I like the feeling of brotherhood here, after all we're all on the same side here!

I have gained much knowledge from this forum and its members. I have no complaints about anything posted by anyone. With this many people from all over there are going to be disagreements and such, its human nature. People that I have never met, have helped me out here for no other reason than they wanted to!!

To all of you guys that have been here forever, I just want to say thanks for your knowledge and insights. Its why I keep coming back. I hope none of you fade away for any reason. :D
2016 Matrix 350LE, Munchmount, RBB, Hawke XB1
Wolverine, Munchmount
Vixenmaster Strings
fdegurse

Post by fdegurse »

hi,

read the forums a couple times every day, I just don't post a lot, I like the format except for the products hogging space on the left making posts longer to scroll through.

cheers,
Frank and a 2005 Exomax
Adrian J Hare

Post by Adrian J Hare »

I visit everyday at some point. Sometimes I wonder if I am a memeber here or not as I sometimes don't fit in. I don't post alot but have been around for a number of years, but I think we should fire Peter :mrgreen:
Ontario Hunting Lodge
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Ont_Hunting_Lodge/index.php?act=idx
EZKILL

Post by EZKILL »

well when hunting season is in new jersey it a long one with bow fall / winter / permit bow then you still have muzzleloader season /shotgun is only 1 week of hell could not pay me to go that week with all that said my wife and kids get the short end of the stick but my 4 year old all she talking about is going to the woods to go hunting lol so i take her baiting with me this year she always saying to me lets go shoot some arrows daddy now the wife is very mad about this living with a wife that think hunting should not be a loud but she has come a long way in ten years she said if my 4 year old can go to the woods now if she like it so she coming a round on it now she even shot my Equinox. so when it off season i spend all my time doing thing with my family been going to the shore every weekend so with working 14 to 16 hours a day then the shore on the weekend the time i get home all i want is my bed lol i have some great arrows made up by crazyfarmer still sitting in the box no time to shoot them so for me just spending all my time with my family now be for hunting season gets here :D
Equinox
Custom Arrows by crazyfarmer
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Leave? Never. I can handle most things, just don't read what I don't like....like personal messages that should be PMs not open forum. This board has some of the most courteous people on any board I visit. Fewer personal attacks means less tension. Fewer my-way-or-the-highway kind of posts. Just good friendly debate and gentle banter.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

To be perfectly honest there is too much politics and baiting happening recently by a very few and a couple of newer individuals with just a couple of hundred posts. I think I help quiet a few here both with information and other things I won't mention. So it deeply disturbs me!
I talk to quite a few members here and that certainly peeves them. After having said that I find my interests changing a bit more towards having more to do. I've joined a hunt club in Ohio, I've committed myself to visit more members that I have not met face to face, I've bought some land that needs much attention for deer and my future home, my sting making seems limitless, my business grows every year etc, etc.
Fade away Mike? I might but I certainly won't disappear
Well said boo,,

Mike you are right... it is not the same forum , Unfortunatley I guess thats what happens when things grow.... I still linger around, but not as much as I use to.... I have gained a wealth of knowledge from some of the members on this forum, and for that I am and will always be greatfull.. I will probably fade away eventually.... I guess it's the old saying, "one bad apple can spoil the whole bunch"
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
Tom

Post by Tom »

Why do people leave this site, or better yet, why would someone leave this site. That question could be very deep.

Well, a while ago I left here for awhile and it was because of the personal attacks. My time is valuable to me, I enjoyed coming here and giving back to others that were looking for help or information on crossbows. :lol: I had even gave a HISTORY LESSON on crossbows to a few members (which came over from that other site -anti crossbow) :lol: . The trouble was that members started to personally attack other members for their ideas or for the way they did things. It became not fun any more so I went in other dirrections, hoping that it would correct itself over time and mostly it has.

Now with health problems of my own and the passing of my mother, time again is at a premium. With looking in on my father and trying to look after myself :lol: I do not get onto the internet very much anymore but this is one forum that I do still make time to visit. I may not post as much as before, mostly because there are a lot more people on here that have knowledge and can answer these questions and usually do before I get a chance to 8) .

As for the the change in the forum format, I do not think that is much of an issue. As stated above, you can easily choose a format to your liking (I switched back to the last previous style). For all you newer members, you would not know of the OLD OLD forum and what it was like, ...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Now that was a format that could get people to leave. The way it is now gets to thumbs up from me.

As for Forum Moderators we already have them here. Everyone of us controls how this forum is run and how the members act. To have appointed Moderators to control the forum, I think would take away from this place we have developed as a group. But if Excalibur were to decide to appoint a few the powers to delete Spam I would fully support that, but not to police here. Pier PRESSURE can do that.

People we all must also remember that this forum is not a collection of people from around your area, the members here are from all around the world. When words are put into print, there is a tendency for the words to lose some of their meaning in translation (from area to area) and could be taken out of context. Also different areas have different ways of doing things, all of which are legal means of doing it. For example, some areas hunt deer with the help of dogs, some use bait, some areas allow group hunting (meaning others in the group could fill other group members tags). We need to accept legal ways of doing things, you do not have to like them or even have to use them, but at least on here, accept them. There are many things that I do not like and will not precipitate in, but I still accept them.

:lol: I will stop here as I do not want to waste all my internet time on this one issue :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

I too lurked here for a time before joining and although I have not posted a lot I still look at the forum most days.

To give you a bit of an idea, there is another forum I am a member of. I was very active for quite some time on this particular forum but at one point I became a bit upset over some things that were being posted that I disagree with. However, I stayed with it and just quit posting about that particular subject.

Then one year there seemed to be quite an increase in forum members and soon there started to be a lot of bickering. It seemed that no matter what anyone posted they would jump all over the poster. Fighting and bickering got to be really bad.

Then one day a hate thread got started concerning folks who ride bicycles on the road. Let me first say that bicycles are legal transportation on almost every road in America that is not an Interstate highway. Roads are built to move people and the people's choice in transportation is their own choice. However, bicycles generally do not travel at quite the speed most cars and trucks travel. This seems to upset a lot of folks because most times they have to slow down and wait to pass if the traffic is a bit heavy. No problem most of the time at least in the areas where I ride my bike.

But this particular thread went extremely bad very quickly in that it got to the point where discussion centered on how to run bikers off the road, how to harm them by throwing things at them and finally how to actually kill them!

Yes, I did report this to a moderator who deleted the thread. However, I decided that I really did not want to be on any forum with members who would actually discuss how to do physical harm to other human beings and certainly not with anyone who would possibly go even further. I will add that it was not just 2 or 3 members in on this discussion either; it was several.

So, I just simply quit looking at that forum and at the time it seems to me that I had over 4,000 posts, so I was fairly active. But I did quit. Then after some time I would go back to look over the forum and it about made me sick, but I still looked. After some time I did make a couple of posts and I have went back to posting a bit now and then but certainly not like I did before and I highly doubt I ever will. I post mainly on their crossbow forum. Most of the other forums on that board are still junk with folks I can't seem to relate to. That is sad as I used to look forward to that particular board.

I do hope that this forum never comes to that but have had some doubts. I did see many things on the non-hunting part of this forum that I certainly did not like and I have noticed a few others not liking it also. I have discussed this with Excalibur and have noticed that it got toned down a bit but I always wonder about non-members seeing this and what it portrays about us as hunters and sportsmen and sportswomen. I will say that most folks here seem to be quite level headed and I do hope it stays that way.

I hope this helps others in understanding one reason why forums lose some members. This for sure is not the only reason but can be one or two big reasons. Also, bad language really should not be a part of anyone's posts and I thank all for trying to keep that out.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

I think folks tend to let what they read drive thier imagination in all kinds of directions which ends up in them taking offense and sides against those ideas and folks who really mean no harm..GARYL what a guy..years ago he told me "Hoss because we dont have the luxury of looking iin the face and reading the body language of someone on the internet, words typed can be takin by 3 different people 3 different ways and they probably all could miss the true meaning of what wa said". WOW was he so spot on... I see it happen..I still do it sometimes. I jump at something someone said that I took wrong when it was not for harm in anyway. We all come from so many areas of different traditions and ways but yet on here we expect everyone to be one way..it aint gonna happen...AND being outdoorsman and hunters and such you guys are a whole different breed than most and that plays in to personalitys and cabin fever...Bottom line is we need to be more tolerant of our brothers and that starts with me first...Then that RESPECT thing will take care of itself..ofcourse you always have those who just caint get along---nothing you can do about those---except dont let them pull you down or make you fade away..Remember The only way for a bad man to win is for a good man to do nothing! Im here for as long as i can be to many good folks here and I just learn to much to give it up..Or I guess I forget to much not to come back and get a re-briefer..all i can say is hang in there. things could be alot worse..Adapt and overcome......
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

planter wrote:I think we are ALL getting carried away!!! This is still the best forum going and I have met no one I would not call a "pal" but maybe I just don't know them well enough.
I can't say there is another forum out there of any kind were the people are so generous with never a string attached!! :D I have GIVEN away a a TC muzzle loader in need of love as well as more than a few knives, Bucket seats, Butt Outs :shock: but have recieved dozens of arrows refletched, refletching Jigs, "emergency" strings as well as advise of unequaled value. I even remember that when I broke a limb I had more than a few offers of help but had a new set even before I could send the old ones back to Mr. Miller.

Where else would someone send you a new string just knowing your season was about to start and the same guy who knew I was out of work said pay when you can. :o

The hell with minor disagreements!! I have them with my family and they are still here with me :shock: .

Lets not make this sound like a eulogy. :D Keep posting folks. We still have the best crossbows and forum on the net. If you don't happen to shoot an Excalibur, well then YOU can get out. :twisted: :wink: I have officially moved into hunting mode now with game cams ect so I will be checking in frequently to make sure everyone is still here!! :D
Very well said. DITTO! :D
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

agingcrossbower wrote:
planter wrote:I think we are ALL getting carried away!!! This is still the best forum going and I have met no one I would not call a "pal" but maybe I just don't know them well enough.
I can't say there is another forum out there of any kind were the people are so generous with never a string attached!! :D I have GIVEN away a a TC muzzle loader in need of love as well as more than a few knives, Bucket seats, Butt Outs :shock: but have recieved dozens of arrows refletched, refletching Jigs, "emergency" strings as well as advise of unequaled value. I even remember that when I broke a limb I had more than a few offers of help but had a new set even before I could send the old ones back to Mr. Miller.

Where else would someone send you a new string just knowing your season was about to start and the same guy who knew I was out of work said pay when you can. :o

The hell with minor disagreements!! I have them with my family and they are still here with me :shock: .

Lets not make this sound like a eulogy. :D Keep posting folks. We still have the best crossbows and forum on the net. If you don't happen to shoot an Excalibur, well then YOU can get out. :twisted: :wink: I have officially moved into hunting mode now with game cams ect so I will be checking in frequently to make sure everyone is still here!! :D
Very well said. DITTO! :D
I agree, well said . . .however, you could have said something about putting on your big boy camo. :lol:

Most leave when they don't feel like they are getting anything out of the forum and/or don't have anything to add.

This is still a great forum. :) No moderators please. Seems like the only issues we have is when someone starts moderating.

By the way . . .if you are wanting to make a post and have not logged in . . .hit reply, login, then hit the "back" button . . .takes you to the reply area. Some of these type issues need to be fixed.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
JRS

Post by JRS »

I've been a member of this forum and its various reincarnations since 1999. If you aren't happy with the current style, you would have absolutely hated the original. :P

I browse it just about every day, but rarely post any more. It seems that the same questions and topics come up in some shape or form on a regular basis, and I have no interest in replying to these any more. For me, in that regard, things have become stagnant. As a new member, I eagerly absorbed everything offered, and was more than happy to help others when I became established with my bow. But now, as I said, things seem to have become redundant as far as topics and questions, and the "regulars" seem to have them covered.
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

I have been away for a while so I really don't know what happened to Grizz, Saxman and a few others. I hope that our friends will return but we still have a great bunch of members here. I try and get along with everyone and think that I do so.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray