old forum members never die, they just fade away......

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

why have they left!

Change of forum layout.
11%
Lack of respect.
27%
Lack of interest.
9%
Lack of time.
13%
All (or most) of the above.
24%
Other.
16%

Total votes: 45

wabi

old forum members never die, they just fade away......

Post by wabi »

Well, actually, we have lost a few to death, but we have also had several just fade away.

I wonder why?

Lack of respect?
Lack of interest?
Lack of time?
The change(s) in forum layout?

I sometimes think perhaps I should just fade away. :roll:
I do not like the new forum layout, and especially the fact it's a several step process to even reply to a post. Log in and I'm not re-directed to the thread, I have to navigate back through the index, then the thread, then "post reply" again.

I'm also getting tired of the hackers pushing a product that seem to find the times when the moderators are away to register & post. I think it's time Excalibur add a few moderators from outside the Excalibur business. They wouldn't need all the powers to moderate, just the power to lock a thread until Bill T or the marketing dude could review it.
wabi
Migabby

Re: old forum members never die, they just fade away......

Post by Migabby »

This is going to be an interesting thread!!!!!!!!!!

Migabby
Gold Tips
Slicks
Proud Groundpounder Mount Owner
Proud Boo String Owner
Boo

Post by Boo »

To be perfectly honest there is too much politics and baiting happening recently by a very few and a couple of newer individuals with just a couple of hundred posts. I think I help quiet a few here both with information and other things I won't mention. So it deeply disturbs me!
I talk to quite a few members here and that certainly peeves them. After having said that I find my interests changing a bit more towards having more to do. I've joined a hunt club in Ohio, I've committed myself to visit more members that I have not met face to face, I've bought some land that needs much attention for deer and my future home, my sting making seems limitless, my business grows every year etc, etc.
Fade away Mike? I might but I certainly won't disappear! :mrgreen:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Brenjen

Post by Brenjen »

I won't vote as I have only hovered for a year or so but I see a LOT of good in people here; I see a lot of what today's society calls "paying it forward" (personally I hate that phrase as much as "my bad").....I was just reading where Cossack is getting kudos for doing his best to help someone in that spirit (and he deserves it).

Take that "spirit" & apply it here; to your fingers, to the posting! Because what Boo said - "To be perfectly honest there is too much politics and baiting happening recently" is what I noticed as a new member here. I won't point fingers because I'm ignorant of the background as to why these things are occurring here I.E. personality conflicts, the cultural differences between regions & countries, past frictions or arguments etc.

Frankly it seemed extremely out of character from what I had seen before as a lurker. Get back to the hunt, the tactics, the stories, the camaraderie & you'll find the most of the other problems will fix themselves. There's too much good here to let a few minor problems sidetrack that "spirit"!

Just my opinion of course....it's not worth much to some.
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

Brenjen wrote:I won't vote as I have only hovered for a year or so but I see a LOT of good in people here; I see a lot of what today's society calls "paying it forward" (personally I hate that phrase as much as "my bad").....I was just reading where Cossack is getting kudos for doing his best to help someone in that spirit (and he deserves it).

Take that "spirit" & apply it here; to your fingers, to the posting! Because what Boo said - "To be perfectly honest there is too much politics and baiting happening recently" is what I noticed as a new member here. I won't point fingers because I'm ignorant of the background as to why these things are occurring here I.E. personality conflicts, the cultural differences between regions & countries, past frictions or arguments etc.

Frankly it seemed extremely out of character from what I had seen before as a lurker. Get back to the hunt, the tactics, the stories, the camaraderie & you'll find the most of the other problems will fix themselves. There's too much good here to let a few minor problems sidetrack that "spirit"!

Just my opinion of course....it's not worth much to some.
Well said Brenjen
Why ride when you can walk!
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Moderators are a touchy thing. Ive run message boards and moderated message boards. Even when mods are doing their jobs, they get singled out for doing so. Friends become enemies.

Im not in favor or against mods if that answers a question? I'd rather leave it in the hands of the owners. No one is above any other on here. We are all together to hunt and share knowledge.

To answer the topic at hand I would say its a little of everything. The forum layout doesnt bother me at all. I switched the the old style view and it works just like the old forum did. No issue at all with that.

Lack of interest in the off season is a issue also. Im busy doing other things so I dont check as much as I do during hunting season.

Based on past experiences with clubs and message boards the biggest killer is to much change to quickly.
snapperdan

Post by snapperdan »

Hackers,politics,baiting? What did i miss :lol:
exocet 200
equinox
ground pounder mounts
bar 338 win mag
browning auto 5
theoldarcher

Post by theoldarcher »

I won’t vote either! Mainly due to the fact that I still consider myself as a novice. I do not think I have been a member here long enough to make that decision. However, I will put my two cents worth in and make this statement. The reason I joined this forum in the first place is simply this. The best people in the world to find out anything that you want to know about crossbow hunting… are right here!

I was amazed at amount of informative information put out on this site by a few that helped me more than anything else. The other thing that caught my attention was the closeness of the forum members. It was almost a family type of atmosphere when they came together, always helpful, caring and quick to wit. I have seen a lot of selfless and charitable acts committed on and off these pages, mainly because it was the right thing to do., but more than that… it was the need to treat with respect and befriend someone that they have probably never laid eyes on before… as family. You don’t run into that on other forums. I maybe part of the problem, I don’t know. If I am someone tell me and I’ll quickly and quietly step into the shadows and watch silently.

But this much I do know for sure! Every time we squabble amongst ourselves, every time we loose a member other than to the enviable darkness that comes for us all eventually…we give the ones who chastise us more ammunition to fire. We must stick together and stay strong. Families fight amongst each other occasionally, it is enviable that this will happen. We must work these differences out, not for ourselves as much, but for the sport. I have rambled enough. I deeply miss the writings of Mike P and others that passed on so much wisdom and great stories. Some good, some funny and even some with tragedy that affected us all…as family.
hotburn

Post by hotburn »

Boo wrote:To be perfectly honest there is too much politics and baiting happening recently by a very few and a couple of newer individuals with just a couple of hundred posts. I think I help quiet a few here both with information and other things I won't mention. So it deeply disturbs me!
I talk to quite a few members here and that certainly peeves them. After having said that I find my interests changing a bit more towards having more to do. I've joined a hunt club in Ohio, I've committed myself to visit more members that I have not met face to face, I've bought some land that needs much attention for deer and my future home, my sting making seems limitless, my business grows every year etc, etc.
This about sums it up for me. I used to be pretty heavy into HNI and enjoyed posting on there, and some on here, but was to hard to keep up with two forums. I have a lot of great friends like Boo, awshucks, planter, and Tom to just mention a few. But as mentioned it seemed like there was always people coming in stirring the pot with passionate debates. When I realized I was into it to much and was affecting my attitude off the computer I basically went cold turkey. I have been dropping in a lot to just read, but have just not back into it like I used to be. I noticed HNI CB spot looks to be all but dead, but am happy to see this forum still going strong. My biggie would be the politics, and time.

Jason
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I would like to moderate this forum.
I would only like the ability to move non-hunting related topics to their proper place and abolish threads made to sell wedding dresses and I-Phones instantaneously.
I also know that 99% of the reason most of the good guys left would also leave, allowing room for those with positive input in to the hunting community to have a chance to contribute without being condemned for the sake of a product or sheer pride.
I have the insight and knowledge to know the difference.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

hotburn wrote:
Boo wrote:To be perfectly honest there is too much politics and baiting happening recently by a very few and a couple of newer individuals with just a couple of hundred posts. I think I help quiet a few here both with information and other things I won't mention. So it deeply disturbs me!
This about sums it up for me. I used to be pretty heavy into HNI and enjoyed posting on there, and some on here, but was to hard to keep up with two forums. I have a lot of great friends like Boo, awshucks, planter, and Tom to just mention a few. But as mentioned it seemed like there was always people coming in stirring the pot with passionate debates. When I realized I was into it to much and was affecting my attitude off the computer I basically went cold turkey. I have been dropping in a lot to just read, but have just not back into it like I used to be. I noticed HNI CB spot looks to be all but dead, but am happy to see this forum still going strong. My biggie would be the politics, and time.

Jason
Hey, Jason! Long time no 'see'. Yeah, we had fun on HNI didn't we? Managed to collectively help a few newbies in the process. I remember well when all of us had more questions than experience!

Imho, the quickest way to slow a forum down, maybe even ruin it, is to post complaints against a fellow member vs pm them. Let's face it, one guy is usually wrong, best to settle it privately rather than try to use the forum [any] as a judge, jury, ect. I like to think of some topics as entries in the 'No Win Olympics'. Ranges, quiver mounts, noise suppression preferences fall into that category for me and I try to refrain from posting on them.

This forum has always been the 'cream of the crop', imho. Best of everything starting w/ equipment. We've needed very little in the way of moderation, seems we have gravitated to ignoring the spammers, and eventually they get deleted.

As far as the 'new look', I found the 'old' style and can't really tell the diff anymore. Like Wabi, I didn't care for the 'new'.

Us old farts are like that! Any forum is what the members make it.

Overall, we've done ourselves proud! [Imho]
"Eze 18:21"
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

Lack of respect. I feel comfortable in saying that. I may not have 1000's of post, but I have been around for a while. I joined this forum becuase of one of the originals here GaryL. For those of you who haven't seen is Oreo video it is a forum classic!!!His wisdom on these bow, and his love for this forum is why I joined to begin with. Alot of the so metioned guys whom have left where the guys who actually had advice on hunting. We have alot of tech guys left(this is not a bad thing), but few hardcore hunters. I can't speak of all members whom have left, but I do know of a few that left due to long time members, not the "new guys". I think everyone on here has typed something they later thought maybe wasn't such a good idea. In the past it was let to be a grain of salt. Now it's become a peeing match. This is one big reason I think the forum has declined. IMO
MarkMarine

Post by MarkMarine »

As I have stated elsewhere, I faced some hard times and had to leave in 2005 to take care of matters. There are very few here I even remember. One thing I did recall, was the closeness and fraternity of those I came to call friend - like Dan, Bill, and Dan Miller.

I would like to add this, quality individuals are a lot like Excalibur crossbows: they are simple in design, rugged in construction, and lethal in purpose. One tries to forget junk (I cannot even remember the brand of my 1st crossbow) but you cannot help but always remember quality.

For those who have gone on before, who have faded or simply passed on from this life to the Eternal...I may not remember all your stories, I may not remember all of your names, but I remember the brush of quality and its touch upon my life.

Semper
Fi
Boo

Post by Boo »

hotburn wrote:

Jason
Yep! Sure is nice to see you post again Jason!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Hey Wabi,

I feel an attachment to this forum, so I doubt I will leave on a permanent basis. I have gained a tremendous amount of knowledge from our forum members. I have gained a great friend and hunting partner(Ecoaster), as well as some others(John, Pydpiper,RJ) with whom I have aquainted myself with in one way or another. Thanks again Pyd for last week!!!

At the same time, the forum seems to have changed since I joined. To me it feels as though the forum has lost some of its "family feel". Maybe it's just me. Maybe it's because we are all so waiting for the upcoming deer season????

With growth comes change.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"