FCA Ignorance

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xbowkidd

FCA Ignorance

Post by xbowkidd »

Living in Ontario i have never really run into anyone having a problem with me shooting a crossbow, i guess i just had my first taste of what its like living in some of the anti states or provinces and what a sour taste it was.
Another forum member and i were looking into going to the Canadian National 3D championships being put on by the FCA in Halifax in a few weeks. After talking to another forum member about the bad conversation they had while trying to register i decided to call for myself and try and sign up. I phoned in and stated that i would like to register for the crossbow division and the response i got was "Call back when you start shooting a REAL bow, click..." I feel a little naive now, not realizing that this kind of ignorance still existed in Canada. I know not many of you give a hoot about 3D but if you feel like helping out the advancement of crossbows then i would appreciate you emailing or calling and expressing your disappointment in the lack of and desire for a crossbow category in the future. Thanks for reading my rant. rob
All the contact info is on the top of the page at: http://www.fca.ca/
Team Dryfire
Boo

Re: FCA Ignorance

Post by Boo »

Are you farging kidding Rob????? Just goes to show you that we are sheltered here in Ontario. Wow!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Boy am I pissed off. A person in my own province doing that to a Excalibur forum member. There is going to be some hell raising from me and my friends. We are just beginning with crossbows here in Nova Scotia. Thanks for bringing that to my attention Rob.
Raymond
bigbuckonly1

Post by bigbuckonly1 »

You still have those kind of idiots out there, ethical hunters should unite together, many millions of other people out there trying to take away our right to bear arms.
Take time to enjoy each & everyday that GOD has given us- be thankful.

Excalibur Vortex
Firebolt Arrows
Rage .125gr. Broadheads
Equalizer Climbing Stand
99% Scent Killer
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

I agree Bob. As you know, NC now allows crossbows as a legal hunting weapon. I went to the archery shop yesterday to get some arrows cut for Tyler's bow. Little did I know that I was walking into a hornet's nest. There was a group of fellows giving a guy that came in to buy a crossbow are very hard time. It didn't take long for the owner of the establishment to clear house. He made it perfectly clear that he would not tolerate such harrassment in his establishment. Anyhow, the guy left with a Pheonix with all the fixens and sighted in. It's going to take some time for some folks to grow up.

Ray
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
MarkMarine

Post by MarkMarine »

raydaughety wrote:I agree Bob. As you know, NC now allows crossbows as a legal hunting weapon. I went to the archery shop yesterday to get some arrows cut for Tyler's bow. Little did I know that I was walking into a hornet's nest. There was a group of fellows giving a guy that came in to buy a crossbow are very hard time. It didn't take long for the owner of the establishment to clear house. He made it perfectly clear that he would not tolerate such harrassment in his establishment. Anyhow, the guy left with a Pheonix with all the fixens and sighted in. It's going to take some time for some folks to grow up.

Ray
Ray,

I have seen much improvement over the last 10 years or so to the mentality of traditional bow-hunters only when it comes to crossbows. Personally, I never experienced any of the prejudices out there - after all I am a sizable lad and obviously only have one functional arm. I am in Missouri and far removed from your location, but were I closer, I would be happy to walk into such a place as described in NC in the company of someone wishing to purchase a crossbow and let any and all there tell a service-connected DAV Marine all about "...shooting a REAL bow..."

Some of us do not have a choice - it is either a crossbow or no bow. I am glad the owner of the establishment cleared house. He surely understands that every legal weapon purchased toward hunting only promotes interest and generates revenues for the betterment of all wildlife and those of us with a passion to hunt game.
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

Terrible thing to have happen to anyone.

The last time someone said anything negative to me about using the crossbow I told him that I had no problem with him shooting his bow of choice so why would he have a problem with mine?

It is no different than someone driving a new Cadillac looking down on someone who happens to drive a Ford of some sort. It is about choice. Both can still drive on the road. Both can still hunt in the woods. Remember, it is still hunting; not shooting. What you choose to shoot with is up to each and every one of us. I happen to hunt a lot with a 30:30 but have no problem with those who want to shoot a 300 magnum and I appreciate it if they feel the same way.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I moved from a state that allowed CB's during archery season, Tn. I now live in Mo. where CB ppl are lower than Whale poop unless yer disabled with a Dr.'s permit. Then yer on lvl spiny Urchin! :( I haven't found a 3-D shoot with-in 150 miles that will allow CB's. Some day it will change
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

I always knew there was something wrong with that province! j/k raymond, I love Nova Scotia, but that kind of ignorance is just not tolerable. sounds like the person answering the phone needs some training in serving the public! GO GET EM Ray! :wink:
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
TPM

Post by TPM »

Regardless of whether they allow crowsbows or not that reponse was ignorant and uncalled for.
The FCA has always had an issue with crossbows and I think the only time they allowed crossbows in the nationals was when it was hosted in Ontario and that's probably because the OAA is pro-crossbow.
I would complain on two levels. One, there is no way a national organization of any kind should have anyone the rude and ignorant dealing directly with the public. Two, the fight to break down the ignorant barriers these dinosuars in the archery world try to keep propped up must continue. I think once they realize there is money to be made in allowing crossbows in their shoots you will start to see them become more accepting. Typically it's not the general membership who has the issue's, it's the old gaurd, hard core's who govern these organizations who are the problem.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
lscha

Post by lscha »

I actually feel embarrassed for people that make those kinds of statements. They couldn't look sillier if they showed up at their hunting blind in a clown car. The sad thing is that they can't see it. Anytime you want to sit on a dime and swing your legs, just make a strong statement about something you know very little about.

On a more cheerful note. The Michigan Crossbow Federation is in position to have a home archery range that will host crossbow leagues this winter. A big step, I'd say. I'm very excited about this and will keep you posted. Hopefully, this will just be the beginning. And yes, we will allow all bows in the leagues.
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
Stash

Post by Stash »

xbowkidd:

Who exactly did you call and get that response? Did you call the FCA office in Ottawa, or someone from the Championships organizing committee in Nova Scotia?
alwills

Post by alwills »

Hello crossbowkidd (et all)
I am writing as President of FCA, I have been recently made aware of these comments and they concern me a great deal. There were precious few phone numbers associated with this year's national 3Ds, the one that was used is an archery shop who sells crossbows, so it wasn't them! None of us can fathom who you could have called that we wouldn't know about! The contact information you give is the FCA office in Ottawa and certainly no one there would give such an answer!

Regardless, that type of attitude is NOT condoned in FCA and I apologize for it! I can assure you it was no one associated with FCA or the tournament.

I hope you will contact me via email or this forum ([email protected]) to give me more details.

We (FCA) are not anti crossbow!

I trust you will follow this up with more information - Thank you! In future, should you have any complaints, please address them to members of the FCA Board of Directors, who can do something about it. Posting to a forum does not necessarily come to our attention.

Al
xbowkidd

Post by xbowkidd »

Thanks, the oaa has already contacted me to sort things out but i will email you shortly.
Team Dryfire
GaryDowdy

Post by GaryDowdy »

We're the red-headed stepchildren of the archery world!