Who else loves hunting in the rain?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Shotnbeer

Re: Who else loves hunting in the rain?

Post by Shotnbeer »

turkeys, deer, bear and fishing. It never rains on a golf coarse and it never rains if your a real hunter.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

The rain brings out the deer, as long as heavy wind is not with it. I love hunting in rain, although I will be more selective in regards to shooting range because of what others have said about blood trails washing away, even though I have learned to cope without blood trail because of a slight color blindness(green/red :roll: ) but a blood trail makes it easier for a buddy who's helping me.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Tenn. Equinox

Post by Tenn. Equinox »

I like sitting in my treestand with my tree mounted umbrella in a drizzling rain
and fog settling in taking catnaps with one eye open.
Tenn.

Equinox
wabi

Post by wabi »

I'll admit it, I'm reluctant to get my equipment wet! :roll: :lol:

I love a light drizzle for hunting, but I hate to get a good gun, compound, or crossbow wet! When I was still able to shoot & hunt with one of my fiberglass laminate traditional bows it didn't bother me a bit to hunt in the rain (they are virtually waterproof and don't have parts that rust :wink: ), but with my crossbow I find myself carrying it to my blind in it's case (which I have sprayed with silicone) and staying under cover.

The other factor that concerns me is the possibility of the light drizzle turning into a downpour. :shock: Happened once a few years ago, and it was close to a disaster. It was a light steady drizzle of rain, a beautiful evening to be in the ground blind. The rain was steady, but very light, and I had the feeling it would continue like that all night. A doe came in to my feeder just at sunset, and offered one of those shots you just can't pass up.
I hit her well and she ran off, then lightning flashed, thunder boomed, and I muttered "Oh Sh**" to myself.
Didn't want to push her, but I had no choice. I called for help on my cell phone (those things are wonderful at times) and hit the blood trail. She had bedded about 50 yards from the blind and I was able to slip close (I firmly believe she would have died within minutes if I hadn't pushed her) and put a second arrow through her neck from my position behind her. The landowner arrived to help about that time, and the rain was pouring by then. To shorten the story, we pushed her out of 4 or 5 beds (all within 40-50 yards of the last) and back & forth across a creek a couple of times before she finally went down for good. Never had a chance for another shot, but the first shot was a high double lung, and would have been quickly fatal if I hadn't pushed her. I was soaked, the landowner was even more soaked (he fell in the creek at one crossing - I had to laugh, too. :roll: ), and my crossbow was soaked (took an hour to clean & dry it after I got home).
The deer did finally go down for good on a sand bar, which made field dressing easy at least. But I had to even rush field dressing, as the creek was rising, and that particular creek will "flash flood" in those conditions. Luckily the landowner was able to rush back to the barn and get a tractor to drag her out with before the creek got too high to cross, as she went down on the far side of the creek.

I swore to myself that would be the last time I pulled a stunt like that!!!!!!!!
wabi
huntone

Post by huntone »

YES, I love to hunt during a rain. I have a umbrella for a treestand, always in my pack, and I hunt sometimes in a ground blind. My all time favorite time to hunt is just after a windy, stormy rain. Next favorite time is after a dense fog.

About 30 years ago I remember sitting in a treestand during a heavy rain. I sat there in that rain for a couple of hours wearing one of those old Stearns vinyl rain suits. I got wet alright, but not from the rain, from perspiration under that vinyl rain suit. :roll: :lol:

Before 4 wheelers, if I had to get very far in the woods, it was a real challenge to travel after or during a rain. I can remember many times getting our truck or jeep stuck......Heck, it was all good and what great memories I have hunting with my friends in the rain. :D

Me in a rain, notice umbrella

Dale

Ibex
Lumizone
Dan Miller mount
sits in trees

Post by sits in trees »

i used to hunt in the rain, but don't car for it much anymore, just like being dry. i will however hunt in single digits..
phil

Post by phil »

i do not like hunting in the rain. I hunt 80% of the time from portable stands with metal screw in steps. That stuff get slippery when its wet. Also, I use feathers when i hunt with my compound...they are not to rain freindly.
Rainy days are days for me to catch up on some interior house work....something my wife likes!...lol
....Work To Live....Live To Hunt