Who else loves hunting in the rain?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

MarkMarine

Re: Who else loves hunting in the rain?

Post by MarkMarine »

Bstout,

I agree with you entirely. I have been in the rain many times and rejoiced because I know not many others would care to sit through such - so hunting pressure is diminished.

Also, as you said, there is something magical about when the rains pass...as if an invisible alarm sounded and all the denizens come out at once from their shelters to investigate a refreshed and renewed world.

When I was able to be in a tree stand, it was okay. I could still see and hear despite the downpour. In a groundblind, however, I stayed dry - but deaf LOL
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

I love it to. Only thing that bothers me is a blood trail getting washed out. Other than that it knocks the sense down and bring the woods alive. :)
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

I no longer hunt deer in the rain. If it's raining and I have the time, you'll find me hunting ducks and geese. Having a higher percentage chance of losing an animal due to having a blood trail wash away just doesn't sit well with me. I believe we owe our quarry more respect than hunting during conditions that hold a higher percentage of being unable to track them after they are shot.
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

I enjoy it because I can stalk hunt and be alot more quiet. Taking away one of the deers advantages with its hearing over my nearly deafness now. It will also knock down the scent too :) Wow am I really that noisy and smelly? :roll: :P
Why ride when you can walk!
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

rain what's that??? i'm not made of sugar, i won't melt away..........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

cant kill one at home in the chair is the way I look at things;)

If its pouring, im not sitting in it. My best tool is the radar on my cell phone so I can decide whether to stay or go home. Its helped me a fewtimes stay in the stand when it was pouring because by watching the radar I saw it would end in 30mins. That time the rain ends can be magic if you are in the woods 8)
carvedtip

Post by carvedtip »

DirtyGun wrote: Having a higher percentage chance of losing an animal due to having a blood trail wash away just doesn't sit well with me.
Agree.

And having me wash away as well doesn't sit well with me.

We get flash flooding out here like you cant believe. I spent a very long night about two years after I moved out here sitting on a little patch of high ground while white water ran fast in the gullies on either side. Lesson learned.

It is rare and most every day of the season from beginning to end averages sunny with highs in the 60's and lows in the 50's. :D
lscha

Post by lscha »

I LOVE hunting in the rain. Always have. I thought I was the only one. But, I just love rain anyway. My family thinks (knows) I'm nuts! :lol: :lol:
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
Brenjen

Post by Brenjen »

I like being alone & the rain makes that happen. It's even better if I'm fairly certain I'm in a good spot for lightening protection; then I like nature to put on an impressive lightening display too....the more awe inspiring the better

Afterall; hunting isn't JUST about the kill. For me it's church, the Discovery channel, menu planning complete with cooking & tasting the dish in your mind, a time to reflect on my past, mull over aspects of projects waiting to be finished at home & shopping all rolled into one. It's definitely a spiritual experience for me & if the weather was always perfect; that would detract from the experience for me.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

OH Yes the rain is a good tool to get to places unheard and un smelt...and right after a rain the bigguns like to get up and freshn up them scrapsand stretch them muscles...I love it...
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
TYE

Post by TYE »

I go hunting no matter the weather. Rain, downpour, thunderstorm, snow, hail, snowstorm. I've been out in such a windstorm at times I could barely see 10 yards infront of me. I've been out in rain so hard I could barely see through the woods either. If you brave it out with the right clothes an equipment than when it all clears just like B said, all of nature comes crawling out of the wood work and te woods wake up. It's neat how everything just turns on.

Plus I've seen lots of deer during rain and snow. Probably because they can't smell or see as well.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

TYE wrote: I've seen lots of deer during rain and snow. Probably because they can't smell or see as well.

I think your on to something there big daddy... :wink:
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
Chuck Gravel

Post by Chuck Gravel »

I love hunting when its snowing, its one of the most peaceful things. just sitting there with the snow blowing all around you, the cloudy skies that limits your vision to 100 yards, and on top of that the smell of the woodstoves burning all around me as I sit 15 feet up in a stand watching the deer all around. its times like these that I wish would slowdown and last for days.
Excalibur Equinox
Lumi-Zone
Viper-X- Strings
NGSS (newguy)
vortex pro extreme 125
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

'bout the only thing I don't like about rain is drying out the bow afterwards.But the solitude and beauty is awesome. Game tends to be less weary it seems.
Last edited by Cossack on Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Only time i hunt in the rain is if'en i getstid caught in a danged thunderstorm!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315