Which Excalibur for N.C. whitetails ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

pcdeerslayer

Which Excalibur for N.C. whitetails ?

Post by pcdeerslayer »

Ok, I just signed up to the forum and would like to ask a question I know has been ask before. Being new to crossbow hunting , since my state just adopted a crossbow hunting regulation. Having narrowed my purchase to the Vortex or the Ibex , I would like to know the best choice for N.C whitetails ? Do I choose the Vortex with 200 lbs. and more speed @ 40 Yds. , or go for the 175 lb. Ibex that may be a little easier on the string and my old back ? Looking forward to some advice.
Migabby

Re: Which Excalibur for N.C. whitetails ?

Post by Migabby »

I looked at and liked both the Phoenix and the Ibex, but bought the Vixen II because my health is failing Diabetes and Heart and Arthritest. Figured as I get worse it might give me more time in the woods. Shot a buck with it the first time out at 28 yds. complete pass thru. at 30 yrds. he dropped in my view. All these bows are shooters. Don't get caught up in that Speed Kills Thingits a bunch of crap. The lighter Bows are great in the Field.

And welcome aboard to a Great Sight!

Migabby
Gold Tips
Slicks
Proud Groundpounder Mount Owner
Proud Boo String Owner
bdog

Post by bdog »

you're already saying "my old back"....better go with the Ibex and keep those shots under 40yrds no matter which bow you choose,not saying ya can't hit the target at that distance,but the deer sure do act differently than a target.....welcome aboard !
http://autumnbreezebrittanys.com
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:) First off Welcome to the Worlds Best Crossbow forum :)
Now to your question . Either bow is good for the job .But if all you plan to hunt is whitetails then the IBEX .
It all comes down to how far do you want to put the arrow past the deer .
Until they invent an arrow that will turn around and re-enter the deer . It is then only personal choice .
I hunt with the biggest baddest bow but I really don`t need it . I just want it . :lol:
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
MarkMarine

Post by MarkMarine »

PC,

You have received some very good answers. I will not add to it beyond saying welcome to the forum. I would also offer with all the Excalibur models, and proper shot placement, it becomes a simple choice of inches: how many you wish to stick your arrow in the ground/tree AFTER a complete pass-through LOL
wabi

Post by wabi »

I figure the lighter the draw weight the more you'll be able to practice with it.

I use a Phoenix, and have never had a problem killing deer with it. I had a Vixen before the Phoenix (with a 175# Exocet in between the two) and never had a problem killing deer with it, either. I might point out I consider 30 yards a maximum, and almost all my deer have actually been shot much closer than that.

Any of the Excaliburs will shoot through any whitetail (with sharp broadheads and proper shot placement), so I'd rather have one I can practice all I want to and be accurate with it!
wabi
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I think the T-hole stock models are fine. I have had the regular one's E'cet 200, phoenix 175 & vixen 150. You looking at those T-hole models & bad back, Ibex when it gets really bad add a crankaroo
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Chuck Gravel

Post by Chuck Gravel »

ask raydaughety, he's our N.C. man
Excalibur Equinox
Lumi-Zone
Viper-X- Strings
NGSS (newguy)
vortex pro extreme 125
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Welcome brother!!!! There's no doubt that 200lb whitetails are extremely rare in the carolinas. To be honest with you, I would get what feels best to you. Both models are well suitable for whitailtails as well as the bears that we have. I live in Craven County down near the coast(New Bern). Where do you call home pcdeerslayer? It would be great to get together and shoot if your not too far away :wink: .
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

They all will work fine in you know your limits. You can't pick a bad one.
ncstan

Post by ncstan »

I chose the ibex after trying most of the Excalibur line.I liked the smooth trigger,light weight,easy to cock and deadly accurate.I finally learned yesterday not to shoot the same place twice .I knocked a field point off inside a Rhino target by striking it with the second arrow.Ihad previously broke a arrow and deflecthed two more.Excalibur rates the ibex for all North American game.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I currently shoot the Vortex, Phoenix and a faster compound. Much prefer to shoot the Phoenix. 'Softer' shot, easier to cock, easier on strings, arrow and targets. Gets the job done on deer with umpf to spare.. I LOVE the TH stock of the Ibex and have considered trading, but the trigger on this Phoenix is pure silk so it's not leaving anytime soon.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
xbowholic

Post by xbowholic »

Welcome to excalibur; ALL excalibur crossbows will do anything you want and beyond; I live in Arkansas and thought I needed the biggest and the baddest one out there but soon realized that vixen 2 was all I needed to hunt whitetail deer and turkeys; I now own 4 different models of excalibur but the vixen 2 is the sweetest of them all; a lot less string wear and a real joy to shoot; good luck hunting this season and please keep us posted on your success;
jacktar

Post by jacktar »

Welcome to the forum, I'm kinda new here too. I lived in NC for several years and now up in Ontario. I just got the exocet 200. You may want to consider that cause you might want to try a bear down there, a little heavier might be better. I got the exocet because I think it's a bit easier to get to the safety and just more used to that kind of stock. I've got the back thing going on too but I find that with the cocking aid it's not too bad. All in all you just can't make a bad choice with excalibur. :D :D :D
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

either would get the job done;) It will come down to what you like best;) Hold each if possible 8)