Pellet Guns

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Sliver

Pellet Guns

Post by Sliver »

Ok folks, I would like to purchase a pellet gun ( pistol prefered) I was wondering if anyone had a recommendations on pistol pellet guns? I also would like to take it hunting with me , so many times grouse will walk by when I am in my stand. I would think I could use it for that as well as just having fun plinking and target shooting. I know in the hunting regulations it says any pellet gun (or pellet pistol)with a muzzle velocity less than 500 fps can be used for hunting.. The regulations are very vague on this... ... So any suggestions on a decent pellet pistol ?

Thanks

Harry
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
Keating

Re: Pellet Guns

Post by Keating »

Hard to go wrong with the Crosman 2240.
Keep in mind, like a heavier arrow, a .22 cal pellet at max velocity has more KE than a lighter .177

There are lots of mods on the net for the 2240, for power and accuracy.
The bone stock gun is advertised as 490FPS, close to the legal limit.
The 6" barrel is fairly accurate as is.
And the best part, they're about $50 retail.
Boo

Post by Boo »

.177 for feathers ,.22 for fur. Not a golden rule but that is what I read in most forums and other info. Of course if you have enough power behind a .22 pellet it will put down anything. Birds are sometimes pretty hard to penetrate. No comments from the weekend crew please! :mrgreen:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
TPM

Post by TPM »

Birds are sometimes pretty hard to penetrate. No comments from the weekend crew please!
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I've used a .177 Gamo target pistol quite a few times on furred and feathered game.

The velocity isn't terribly high. but the feather-light trigger and excellent accuracy allow it to do the job.

I've taken squirrel, grouse, blackbirds, and chipmunks(out of my moms garage).

If you can still find them, my favourite pellet was/is made by Promethius. A different design that works.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Boo

Post by Boo »

The best killer I have in pistol form is my Sheridan. I've killed not wounded a couple of large birds past 40 yards with it. It is a 20 caliber pump.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

:D I have a Crossman 2289 in .22 calibre & love it...you can use it as a pistol or rifle as it has a removable stock! It has adjustable sights and is deadly...i've taken crows with it and a possum! Brampton Mike 8)
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
NewGuy

Post by NewGuy »

Brampton Mike wrote::D I have a Crossman 2289 in .22 calibre & love it...you can use it as a pistol or rifle as it has a removable stock! It has adjustable sights and is deadly...i've taken crows with it and a possum! Brampton Mike 8)
I used to have the same one, I don't think you can find them anymore.
Boo/Comfybear Custom strings
wabi

Post by wabi »

The Crossman CO2 guns like the 2240 (I own a couple) can be modified to achieve some serious power, but......
CO2 is good in warm weather only.
CO2 provides good pressure @ temperatures around 72°F , but at lower temps the pressure drops enough to make a big difference in performance.

I have modified a 2240 by replacing valve with a BOSS valve by Bryan and Associates and it gives a good boost to power! :wink:

I don't own a pistol specifically for hunting (unless I use the 2240 in warm weather), but I've thought about an Evanix AR6. :roll:

BTW - I was very disappointed in Crossman's customer service/warranty!
I stripped a screw head on my pistol and was told by the customer service rep I had voided the warranty on the pistol by removing the screw! I asked how I was supposed to clean it without removing the screw and was told I should have sent/taken it to a service center. I will NOT buy another Crossman product for that reason!
wabi
catcher

Post by catcher »

I have a Diana model 34 and it is a killing machine. It has a muzzle velocity of 1100 fps and is .177.
Without getting into details it will kill what you are aiming at if hit in the correct area. Up to a racoon size animal no problem.

http://www.diana-airguns.de/index.php?i ... height=720
Last edited by catcher on Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matrix Blackout 380
TriggerTech
Phoenix
STS
Boo custom strings
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Question on this as I was thinking of the same thing.If a pellet gun is ok for hunting will you be allowed to have both with you while hunting?

Have never got a clear answer on this even from a CO.
Tenpoint Matrix
Chuck Gravel

Post by Chuck Gravel »

I have a BSF .177 breakbarrel pistol that my grandfather had and its a great gun that shots accurately and has good power. its all wood and metal and was made in west germany. i dont know when it was made and cant find any info on the company
Attachments
pellet.jpg
pellet.jpg (29.52 KiB) Viewed 5296 times
Excalibur Equinox
Lumi-Zone
Viper-X- Strings
NGSS (newguy)
vortex pro extreme 125
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Dereck wrote:Question on this as I was thinking of the same thing.If a pellet gun is ok for hunting will you be allowed to have both with you while hunting?

Here in the US it has to have powder pushing a projectile to be classified a firearm.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

Dereck wrote:Question on this as I was thinking of the same thing.If a pellet gun is ok for hunting will you be allowed to have both with you while hunting?

Thanks for the responses folks.

For some info, I did call the MNR today, the lady I spoke to regarding carrying a pellet gun pistol while hunting had to call me back. Well 3 hours later I got a call back from the MNR, they told me there are no restrictions on the use of a pellet gun ( pistol) as long as it is under the 500 fps. I was told I could take it out to use on small game, whether or not I am bow only hunting or gun hunting.... I will still do some follow up on this, but thats the information I got today...

Harry
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

NewGuy wrote:
Brampton Mike wrote::D I have a Crossman 2289 in .22 calibre & love it...you can use it as a pistol or rifle as it has a removable stock! It has adjustable sights and is deadly...i've taken crows with it and a possum! Brampton Mike 8)
I used to have the same one, I don't think you can find them anymore.

LeBarons has them! 8)
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!