game cameras help

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

EZKILL

game cameras help

Post by EZKILL »

need some help dicks having a big sale to day think im going to buy game camera looking at the stealth cam or the moultrie they all so have the wildgame cameras to. Never use one be for so which way should i go here these camera are less then half price for to day .
Equinox
Custom Arrows by crazyfarmer
whitetail freak

Re: game cameras help

Post by whitetail freak »

I just started getting into the cameras myself last year when I bought a few acres. I first started last year with the Wildgame Innovations cameras that I bought at Dicks Sporting Goods for under a hundred bucks. It was the same story. They had a sale and I got them at a really good price. I am glad that with each I purchased the Dicks Return Warranty for each camera. In a 2.5 week period I bought, tried out and returned 3 of those wildgame innovations cameras. I would go to retrieve my memory cards and find the cameras dead/frozen or kept resetting themselves. They just stopped working after a day or two of hanging in the woods and this was in august/september with no harsh weather except for alot of rain. Dicks was good and kept exchanging them for me but after the 3rd one went back I just got a refund and tried another camera brand. I like their products but based on my experience I won't buy another one of their cameras. I have hanging now one of those wildview extreme 2.0 cameras that I bought at a local sport store for 49.00. It works great. Cheap, simple, very durable. No Infrared though, but the bear and deer don't really seem to mind. Has taken about 1500 really good pictures so far with no different complaints than all the other cameras out there (some of which cost alot more money). And If some Ahole steals it I am only out $49.00 and not $200 plus.
I just received from cabelas a Primos Truth Cam 35. Still in the box. Will hang it today. Got really good reviews, has infrared and was under a hundred bucks. I will let you know and when I figure out how to post pictures on here I will post some of my "cheap camera" pictures. Rambled a little bit but I hope this helps and saves you multiple trips back to the store.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I use a Bushnell Trophy (click to view camera) I purchased a couple years ago. It is a bit expensive (I have about $250. invested in it and the locking steel case I bought with it), but I love it for the decent pics & long battery life.
I put a set of lithium batteries in it on July 14 to test their life. I'm getting an average of 200 pics a day at my feeder so that amounts to about 4800 pics so far, and the batteries show no sign of weakness yet!

Here's a pic taken last night to show you what an IR illuminated pic looks like:
IM000179.JPG
wabi
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

try a search on here for trophy cam(camera) or cuddeback capture and take a look at some of the photos. As for what to get, I cant tell you but I know what I like and works great. I use the above. I just got 2 more cuddeback captures so thats a total of 8 of those and I have 2 trophy cams. Battery life is by far excellent on both of the above. You dont have to worry about changing batteries every month like on the cheaper units. You will get 3-4months atleast on the above 2 cameras. Both sell for 139-199 though so it just depends on what you want to spend. You can get the cuddeback capture as bass pro on sale right now for 174.99

I like the cuddeback over the trophy cam since the trophy cam likes getting picture happy with moving weeds and twigs. Onthe cuddeback every single photo will have a deer or something in it! If you get 59 pics then all will have something in it. On the trophy cam you could get 200 pics and only 60 have deer in them. Thats because of the burst 3 shot mode option.

ive heard good things about the primos lineup, but I havent tried one myself.

I just stick with what works for me and I havent had a single issue with any of my above cameras in 3 years:)
wabi

Post by wabi »

crazyfarmer wrote:On the trophy cam you could get 200 pics and only 60 have deer in them. Thats because of the burst 3 shot mode option.
CF,
Not disputing your word, I did have many pics without critters in 3 shot mode, but when I switched to 2 shot mode the "landscape" pics % went way down?????
Try setting the Bushnell to 2 shot mode and see what the results are for you if you're up to trying an experiment.
wabi
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

ill give it a shot and see:) thanks btw! Both cams I have are set on 3shot and they work fine in the woods but hate field edges. The sun reflecting from weeds and bushes trips the camera even on low mode. I dont mind it since it gets whatever come sby still though. Just have to delete alot of blanks

ill see how 2 shot does :D
vortex

Post by vortex »

check out http://www.chasingame.com They do evaluations on cameras
Excalibur Vortex
Vari-Zone Scope
OFAH Member
www.wildcam.ca
www.excaliburcrossbow.com
www.ontariooutofdoors.com
Big Pard

Post by Big Pard »

One thing to look for is it Infra-Red instead of flash. I feel the flash at night will spook some of the smarter(buck) from your set. Sportsmans Guide had some Moultrie IR cameras for $99. I have an earlier Moultrie with the flash and a 1g sd card and can get 900+ photos and have had no problems.

Hope this helps
Buddy
Micro 335
Dead Zone Scope
Vixenmaster String
Munch Mount
Zombie Slayers
100gr Slick Trick
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Big Pard wrote:One thing to look for is it Infra-Red instead of flash. I feel the flash at night will spook some of the smarter(buck) from your set. Sportsmans Guide had some Moultrie IR cameras for $99. I have an earlier Moultrie with the flash and a 1g sd card and can get 900+ photos and have had no problems.

Hope this helps
Buddy

IR doesnt seem to be any better than flash for me in my photos.. deer pick up on the IR red glow for me worse than the flash pop. But thats just my case. IR is nice since people dont see the flash and it has less chance of being stolen. I perfer flash though for better images and I really dont see where deer are frightened by it. Unless my bucks just like have a pic taken. For some reason, in every IR camera picture the deer are looking right at it. With the flash they arent...just food for thought to some thinking IR wont spook deer
EZKILL

Post by EZKILL »

thanks guys for all the help on cameras and thanks crazyfarmer for them great looking arrows that i have not shot yet hehe it been a heat wave in jersey this year need to cool down some so i can shoot them arrows lol :lol:
Equinox
Custom Arrows by crazyfarmer
huntone

Post by huntone »

wabi wrote:
crazyfarmer wrote:On the trophy cam you could get 200 pics and only 60 have deer in them. Thats because of the burst 3 shot mode option.
CF,
Not disputing your word, I did have many pics without critters in 3 shot mode, but when I switched to 2 shot mode the "landscape" pics % went way down?????
Try setting the Bushnell to 2 shot mode and see what the results are for you if you're up to trying an experiment.

I also am using the 2 shot mode on the Bushnells. I find it will waste a lot less memory. When I want a real clear night pic I'll use the old cuddlebacks, because of the white flash.

Looking forward to my arrows Crazy!
Dale

Ibex
Lumizone
Dan Miller mount