HOGWEED IN ONTARIO ! !

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xbhntr

HOGWEED IN ONTARIO ! !

Post by xbhntr »

Last week I was walking in a public conservation area . Following their trails , I had to swipe the quack grass and other assorted weeds that crossed our path. Two days later, Our arms and legs had blisters and long red slash lines developed. After seeking medical attention , we found out it was Hogweed. This weed causes painful , burning symptoms ! Ray.
footed shaft

Re: HOGWEED IN ONTARIO ! !

Post by footed shaft »

MAN O LIVE !!!! My skin is just "tingling" right at the thought of touching that crap!!! :shock: I break out more than most to Poison Ivy, oak, And Sumac, so i can't imagine how bad i would look if i got tangled up in that stuff :(
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

So sorry to hear of your mis-fortune. That sounds like not to much fun. Hope ya get better soon.
ch312

Post by ch312 »

a couple months ago some touched my calf resulting in a 2" x 2 3/4" blister that was sticking out nearly 3/4". tried my best to keep it protected, but i have quite the scar from it now.

had no clue that stuff was around brantford...
Stosh

Post by Stosh »

Anyone have a picture of what it looks like?

Thanks, Stosh
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Ottawa Valley Lad

Post by Ottawa Valley Lad »

We had some up in the Ottawa Valley as well for the first time. The most important thing if found is to bag and seal the heads of the plant to stop the seeds from spreading. The County of Renfrew came and destroyed the plants and took it away, so don't touch it if you don't have to. The plants up here were over 15 feet tall in July. Apparently it can grow to almost 30 feet tall.
outdoors_al

Post by outdoors_al »

The scars eventually go away, but it can take several years. Also, the toxins react to the ultraviolet rays from the sun to make your symptoms worse, just fyi! Its been spotted in Point Pelee apparently.
evaughan

Post by evaughan »

as people go looking for this stuff they should be aware that in Ontario there is a look alike to hogweed named angelica. Angelica is far more prevelant than hogweed and is harmless. As the calls reporting hogweed pour into the weed inspector, it appears that 8-9/10 are false alarms, actually angelica.

The ID key is the leaf structure. Angelica has a compound leaf much like an ash tree. The leaf of the hogweed plant is palmate. it looks quite a bit like a wild grape leaf except larger (can be 12"-16"). Otherwise, the plants are visually identical. The weed inspector has been called at least 10x to the golf course I frequent for what has turned out to be angelica every time.
excal vortex w/ vari-zone
custom 2219's
BOO custom string
gobblestalker custom calls
WMU's 80,84,86
carvedtip

Post by carvedtip »

Man that stuff sounds awful.

Worst we got down here (other then the cactus) is Bull Nettle.
Pink Panther

Post by Pink Panther »

it up here in haliburton area also.
ch312

Post by ch312 »

a link to what the blister looks like. mine was almost the exact same, but bigger.

a myth about this stuff and poison ivy is that it spreads. this is false because the first area to react was where there was the most contact. the areas that had less contact take longer to have a reaction so it appears like its spreading.

http://www.ontariocountypublichealth.co ... ssues.html
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

It was in the local paper a week or so ago, took the family down to have a good look at it for future reference.
It is one impressive plant!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string