Arrow drop difference at 40yd bullseye,Vortex & Ibex

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Snapshot

Arrow drop difference at 40yd bullseye,Vortex & Ibex

Post by Snapshot »

Hello Everbody! Newbe Here! I've learn a lot from this forum thank you. I am down to two Excaliburs ( No brainer witch brand) the Vortex or the Ibex. At a 40yd bullseye,How much drop will there be between the two? Same arrow wt. I like to shoot one pin or crosshair. Last how much harder is it to cock the Vortex over the Ibex? I won't be able to try them out. Any and all info will help. Thanks to everyone! Snapshot
vixenmaster

Re: Arrow drop difference at 40yd bullseye,Vortex & Ibex

Post by vixenmaster »

Vortex will shoot flatter at all ranges. 12.5 lbs more weight pull on cocking than the Ibex. The 200 lbs models are a great Bows as with all things bigger n faster doesn't always mean better. If i was just target practicing & hunting or younger then Vortex would be my choice as an all around Excal model. I can cock E'cet 200 by rope fer a 30 target 3-D shoot. With my Disc's messed up i would pay fer it fer several days after that. I could cock & shoot a dz times daily & have no trouble.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
wabi

Post by wabi »

Might find the chart on THIS LINK interesting. :wink:
wabi
Snapshot

Post by Snapshot »

Thanks Vixenmaster & Wabi,maybe I should think about the Ibex or Vixen and forget the long shots.I had 3 disks fused in my neck.I would rather step down than park the bow,or worse hurt like...! Well food for thought. All other thoughts are welcome.Thanks again! Snapshot
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Remember the crankaroo makes all equal, :lol: It just take 12 -15 seconds & you can shoot all daylong!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
wabi

Post by wabi »

Just my opinion, but I'd forget the long shots anyway. :wink:

I like to keep my shots under 20 yards, and seldom even consider one beyond 30.
wabi
Snapshot

Post by Snapshot »

Thanks Gentelmen,I think I've read you both have the Phoenex.(Ibex-same) How is it compared to Vixen 2. Used on small game up to black bear. (Pros-Cons)This is a big help! Everybody's thoughts are wellcome.Thanks agan! Snapshot
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I shoot both the Vortex and the Phoenix (Ibex in drag). Phoenix is easier to cock with my previously-cut shoulders.Can't tell you about the drop difference as they both have LumiZones that are adjusted to hit the same POI. Both are great bows, but I find myself picking up the Phoenix most often; it's just awesome accurate out to 50 yards. Drop difference is not great, perhaps 4" at 40 yards..
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
wabi

Post by wabi »

I shoot a Phoenix, but would feel just as confidant with a Vixen II in my hands.

The advantage to the more powerful models is a bit flatter trajectory and the arrow gets to the target a bit sooner. I've done the math in the past to see what I would actually gain as far a a deer being able to "jump the string" and it's actually not a huge gain in yardage.

The figures I came up with, plugging in a .25 second reaction time for the equation, would work out where an ethical shot range would be approximately (yardages rounded off):
Vixen (285 fps) - 33 yard
Phoenix (305 fps - 36 yards
Exocet 200 (325 fps) - 38 yards
Exomax (350 fps) - 41 yards

Of course the deer's reaction time is also a variable. A calm deer that's chewing corn (I've heard them crunching corn at my feeder from the stand 17 yards away and my hearing isn't great. I could have dropped a bowling ball out of the stand and I doubt if the deer would have heard it. :lol: ) would be less likely to jump the string as one that's already had it's sense of hearing, smell, or sight put it on "full alert".

I'm not suggesting the yardages I came up with are "gospel" as to ethical range, only that those would be the differences in effective range based on arrow velocity using that reaction time extracted by using the SWAG method (Scientific Wild A$$ed Guess). :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

In my personal experience a calm doe at 31 yards did NOT react to an arrow at 300fps until the arrow was past her. (I put the 20 yard crosshair on her for a lung shot and the arrow went right where the 30 yard chevron was aimed - right under her! :oops: :oops: :oops: )

That's why I now use a 25 yard zero with the crosshair and aim "center of the kill zone" for any deer between 0 - 30 yards. I may hit a couple inches high or low but it's still a fatal hit. Beyond 30 yards it walks to become a target another day.

Would I take a shot at 35 yards if a "monster" buck was broadside, calm appearing, and it was not looking like he would get any closer??????
Let's hope I get the chance to find out someday! :roll: :lol:
wabi
Snapshot

Post by Snapshot »

This is all good info! I love looking at things from diferent sides.I like the idea of 0-30 yds one pin.In the past I have had to use the S.W.A.G. problem solver.Right now I'm thinking the Ibex will fill the bill nicely.I'm going to try and not over think this.You people have ben there done that.Thanks again for all input. Snapshot
liaf

Post by liaf »

I shoot both the phoenix and the vortex. Both are set up exactly the same boo string w/o whiskers, zeiss single point red dot and firebolts with 100 grain field tips. I have them sighted in dead on at 30 yards. I have found out that at 40 yards the arrows coming out of the vortex are app 7 inches low and the arrows from the phoenix are about 9 inches low. It appears to me with a 30 yard zero that the ones from the vortex drop 7/10 of an inch for each yard past 30 whereas the ones from the phoenix drop app 9/10 of an inch for each yard past 30. At 20 yards both are app 3-3.25 inches high. Vortex shoots a little flatter but harder to cock and is harder on my servings. Phoenix easier to cock and much easier on my servings. I do not hunt as crossbows will not be legal to use in New York until 2011 gun season. If all you are going for are whitetails I would go with the Ibex. Matter a fact I may in the not too distance future offer to trade my Vortex for an Ibex. I hope this helps you with your decision.
Vortex, Boo String, Zeiss Z-Point --Phoenix, Boo String, Zeiss Z-Point.
Snapshot

Post by Snapshot »

liaf ,your info is iceing on the cake. This puts me over the edge! The Ibex is the one.What weight are your firebolts? I hope to hunt whitetial , black bear and maybe pigies someday. Thats if our Govener Paterson puts an X on the bill. At least to hunt in N.Y. I live in Saratoga, where they race the horses.Thanks to everyone that replide! Your Ideas helped me in the right direction! Snapshot
liaf

Post by liaf »

I have never weighed my firebolts but from what I have read here they are around 370 gr with the 100 gr field point attached. The governor doesn't have to sign the crossbow bill for it to become law. If he doesn't sign it within a specific number of days it automatically becomes law. He can veto it but I doubt that will occur.
Vortex, Boo String, Zeiss Z-Point --Phoenix, Boo String, Zeiss Z-Point.
Snapshot

Post by Snapshot »

Hay people, from what I've read on other post Dan Miller of Horizontal Archery is the man with the most info on Excalibur,good prices and custumer service.Does he have a website? Snapshot
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Snapshot wrote:Hay people, from what I've read on other post Dan Miller of Horizontal Archery is the man with the most info on Excalibur,good prices and custumer service.Does he have a website? Snapshot
No. He doesn't care for computers and prefers the personal touch. He could make a lot more $ w/ a web site, but Danny is Danny, talk to him when you have spare time at: [740] 483-2312.

Oh? Ran out of time on the phone? Lol, you wuz warned!!

ps: think he's on vaca til end of month.
"Eze 18:21"