New string review.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sumner4991

New string review.

Post by sumner4991 »

Review of the Wyvern Creation Custom String.

It seems like the perfect time of year to look at a new string. This one is from Wyvern Creations LLC. http://www.wyverncreations.com/

It’s a custom color, red and black, endless loop string. Out of the package, it’s tight. I’ve never experienced a endless loop string wound so tightly, especially on the ends. The ends are almost wire-like, they are so tight. The workmanship is flawless.

I’m comparing the Wyvern Custom String to the Boo Custom Flemish (green/blue), the Excalibur Endless Loop (off the shelf, tan), the Danny Miller Custom Flemish (black/yellow) and the Excalibur Fast Flight Flemish (off the shelf, gray/black).

I’m using an arrow set up that weighs 408.5 grains. I took ten shots with each string. Then I averaged the speed for each by taking out the highest and the lowest speed score and averaging the eight remaining scores.

The shooting distance from the Chronograph was seven feet.
Weather- Sunny, calm winds and 95 degrees.

Wyvern Custom 32 strand endless loop
Shot string . . .329,329,329,328,329,328,337,328,330,329
Average . . . 328.625

Excalibur FFF
Shot string . . . 325,329,327,328,328,327,328,325,324,329

Average . . . 327.125 FPS

Boo Custom 36 Strand Flemish
Shot string . . . 323,321,325,325,322,322,330,323,326,327

Average . . . 324.125 FPS

Danny Miller Custom Flemish 36 strand
Shot string . . . 324,329,323,325,325,322,325,323,321,321

Average . . . 323.5 FPS

Excalibur Endless Loop Dacron String
Shot string . . . 307,305,305,308,308,312,308,309,309,307

Average . . . 307.625 FPS

To get a true “apples to apples” comparison, we would need to have strings made with the same number of strands (thickness). However, only Boo gives you a choice on the number of strands so I didn’t have that option.

The thinner strings, the Wyvern Custom and the Excalibur FFF had slightly more shot noise than the Boo Custom and Danny Miller Custom. Not enough difference to really make it an issue. The Excalibur Endless Loop Dacron was noticeably quieter with far less vibrations than the other strings.

The servings on the Wyvern string are made from Majesty serving material. The test strings had Halo serving. Therefore, the wear data doesn’t really apply. However, I can say the servings were on there very tight. The wear performance on the Halo was good. Better than most strings. Not as good as a Boo, but, still very good.

Overall, I found the Wyvern Creations Custom string to be a good option in string. It’s made from the best materials, the workmanship is very good and its price point is reasonable.

Here is the link to string ordering information.

http://www.wyverncreations.com/index.ph ... cts_id=378

Picture of the string, the loops and the serving . . .

Picture of the Wyvern string and the Boo string . . .

Here is the Wyvern string and the FFF

The Wyvern and the Miller custom
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Rich

Re: New string review.

Post by Rich »

Nice review Scott. The strings look very good in the website pics. The real question is "what will your Excal be wearing this season".

Rich
RichJ

Post by RichJ »

The real question for me is String stretch. Noyone ever talks about some of the string materials and how much each one stretches. Back when I shot a lot of indoor spots and 3-D's we went from Fast Flight to 450premium then some to mostly 450 to Winners Choice strings.On my Equinox I have used the Factory string and the Excal Flemish Fasflight. I am seeing WAY to much string stretch to even be halfway pleased. I know you will get some stretch in the 1st hundred shots causing lose serving but how is this string going to hold up for string stetch? That's my real question. I would like to try a Boo String but who wants to wait 4 months? String stretch is a BIG issue for me and will be the thing that sends me back to shooting a compound for archery hunting.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Sorry guys . . .I meant to include the string stretch information in my first post. The Wyvern Custom string had very little stretch. That material just isn't going to stretch much. I had a total of four 1/2 turns in my five days of shooting the string. It stretches very little.

Rich . . .good question buddy! I'm very fortunate to have all those strings. Sure, I could choose any string to take hunting. Believe me, I shoot them all a lot when target shooting. However, when it comes to hunting I'll have the Boo String with the whiskers on the bow. Why? Because it has dropped deer and I don't like changing my hunting set-up unless there is a major advantage.

However, I always have at least two strings broken in and ready to hunt. By broken in and ready I mean, they have at least 200 shots in them and a new serving. If something happened to my beloved Boo string, then I would have no concern putting on either the Miller Custom or the Wyvern Custom. I'll have each of them with me.

Like bstout said, the custom strings are all well made. I too wouldn't mind doing some shooting with Gus' String and/or the Viper-X. Even though I know they would stand a slim chance of replacing my Boo.

Richj makes a good point, sometimes Boo gets backed up and you really can't wait. Then it's good to have viable options. I think Wyvern is a good option.

Some guys would buy the Wyvern String simply for the extra speed. It's accurate and consistant. If you look at the chrony numbers, then you can see there was very little variance in the shot speed.
Last edited by sumner4991 on Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Bones

Post by Bones »

Nice numbers ironically I was out doing a simular test today. I shoot the exo200 with a 370gr set up but I just tested my new setup at 420gr . I averaged 318 fps with the 370 gr. and 307 fps with the 420gr. I found little to no difference between Excal. FFF and the standard string. I will be hunting with the 420 set up. great test you did.
RichJ

Post by RichJ »

Now if we had to compare this Wyvern String to a Excal Flemish Fast Flight. How does it hold up on strings stretch and the serving getting loose? I have a FFF now and took a outrageous amount of twists to get it right. I'm afraid to even shoot it a lot since the season is a month away here in PA.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

RichJ wrote:Now if we had to compare this Wyvern String to a Excal Flemish Fast Flight. How does it hold up on strings stretch and the serving getting loose? I have a FFF now and took a outrageous amount of twists to get it right. I'm afraid to even shoot it a lot since the season is a month away here in PA.
It took approx. 175 shots on my Exomax to start seeing rather harsh serving wear. At around 185-190 I started seeing separation. I got 205 shots before it separated to the point of having to reserve or damage the string. Stretching was not an issue with the Wyvern string. Not nearly as much as I have experienced with the FFF string and the Dacron string. I didn't include these numbers in the first post because they decided to switch to the Majesty serving material. However, the tightness of the serving and the strength of the string are big factors in separation issues. The type of serving material isn't as big a factor. Poorly wrapped servings will not stay together for very long at all, regardless of the material. This serving was wrapped tight. This Wyvern string material is not going to have much stretch.

I have used the Majesty and the Halo serving material. Personally, I don't see enough difference in the two to make a comment. However, some of the string makers believe Majesty stays in place better than the Halo.

I would expect my second serving on the Wyvern String to last longer because the string is broken in. I'll find this out later, probably next week. I'll let you know.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
carvedtip

Post by carvedtip »

Excellent review Sumner!

I sure like the pricing on the Wyvern string.
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

It's good to see that there are now more string-makers building strings for crossbows. In the early years the choices of crossbow strings was limited to one or two and the quality left alot to be desired. One was lucky if a string lasted a couple of hundred shots. That was the reason I started making my own custom strings.

The difference in longevity between my store bought strings and my custom made ones is amazing. Even though I haven't made a string in over three years. I'm happy to say that with the occasional re-serving, the five strings I kept for myself are as good as the day I made them.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

im going to try the Wyvern string since it appears to be better than the FFF string while keeping the speed up. Im do for a new one anyway so ill give it a try

whats the price of that string also btw? turn around time?
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

Good review!!! Thanks I just put my last new string on last night (Dan Miller) I will be looking to get another back up coming. Looks like I have a new string to try!!!
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

FredBear wrote:Good review!!! Thanks I just put my last new string on last night (Dan Miller) I will be looking to get another back up coming. Looks like I have a new string to try!!!

ive got about 5-6 locals that want strings also so maybe we can get a group purchase together
wabi

Post by wabi »

How's the end loop serving holding up? Any separation of the wraps of serving?

I've given up on endless loop dacron strings. I've had some strings last for dozens (hundreds probably, but I didn't keep count), but had others separate so badly in the loops I've discarded them after only a few dozen shots.

The stretch of dacron and the power of crossbow limbs make using dacron an expensive proposition if you are afraid of serving separation like I am. :roll: :lol: :lol: (never had one break - and don't plan on it! no use tempting fate, if it looks questionable it goes in the trash can. :wink: )

Flemish twist dacron holds up better, but it's a shoot - twist - shoot - twist - shoot - twist routine for the first few days. :shock:

I've decided Boo strings are worth every cent for my Excalibur!!!!!!!!!!
wabi
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

wabi wrote:How's the end loop serving holding up? Any separation of the wraps of serving?
Wabi . . .here are pictures of the end loops after the 205 shots. There is some wear which I would consider normal. I'll reserve it today and wax the entire string. Then start shooting it again. We'll see what happens.

Top side
Bottom side

Full length

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
wabi

Post by wabi »

Thanks for the pics.
Looks like it's holding up well. My problem with dacron endless loop strings has not been WEAR, but SEPARATION.
The material underneath stretches and and inch of serving is now trying to cover an inch and a quarter of string. :roll:

I may try some fastflight (non-stretching) type material for a string one of these days. :wink:
wabi