Moose Hunt

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Vortex in SD

Moose Hunt

Post by Vortex in SD »

I just booked a Moose Hunt in Ontario Canada. :D
It is in section 12b -- not sure if that is close to anyone on the forum but will be driving right thru Thunder bay :)
My question is -- for moose what broadhead would be the best to take down a moose??
Right now I shoot the Slick Tricks 100's -- will they work?
Thanks,
Dean in SD
munch

Re: Moose Hunt

Post by munch »

will have the same thing on my exomag this year.i'm letting my brother shot it and i'm going to try rage 2 blade on my compound this year. i have had real good luck with slick tricks .i have a bull tag in area 3 so you won't be too far from us.
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
evaughan

Post by evaughan »

congrats! headed to one of the most beautiful, spectacular corners of god's green earth. Take a camera with a ton of memory space, you'll be taking a lot of pics.

When I think about Atikoken I think about Walleye. Beautiful, fat, delicious, sizzling walleye and shore lunch. Jealous.

with regard to broadheads, I have not yet been fortunate enough to arrow a moose (not for lack of trying) so can't comment through direct experience. generally steer clear of mechanicals and look at broadheads that optimize penetration and durability. One piece cut on contact are preferred by many and I know there are some guys on here who have experience taking moose with some of the montec products, you can search some related threads on this site.

I would add it is wise to take along ALOT of arrows for grouse with quite a few field points, judo's or whatever you like for small game. The ruffed grouse are everywhere and pair nicely with the above mentioned walleye and a frosty cold beer.
excal vortex w/ vari-zone
custom 2219's
BOO custom string
gobblestalker custom calls
WMU's 80,84,86
Bones

Post by Bones »

No problem, That combo will get the job done. We have taken them with all sorts of broadhead/weight combos. My bud took a 50" bull last year with an equinox with 2219 aluminums 150gr. bolt cutters. He was getting around 298 and 304 fps out of the chrony. His was the only arrow/bolt combo that our target couldn't stop. I went to a 420gr set up this year out of my exo 200, slowed it down but I like energy. You are good though a well placed shot and it's going down. Best of luck to ya, we are leaving on the sept.16.

Bones
Redneck Plumber

Post by Redneck Plumber »

I have been useing Muzzy MX-4 100's for deer and bear out of both my PSE and my Excalibur Equinox so I figure they should blow through a moose. 100Grain Slick tricks should work to.
I am heading up to hunt WMU 19 and WMU 21a Sept 24. Between the 6 of us going up we have a bull and cow tag for each area.

Good luck

Ryan