Camera Location and Checking Trail Cam Pictures

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

pbearmawno

Camera Location and Checking Trail Cam Pictures

Post by pbearmawno »

I just put up 2 trail cameras and feeders near our cottage in Northern Ontario. Because it is all Crown land I decided to go with the $49 Wildview cameras that I ordered from Cabelas. My question is, how long should I wait to see if I'm going to get any action before trying a different location. There were moose and bear tracks near the area where i put up the trail cams, but no deer. The other issue is checking the SD cards while in the field. Can anyone recommend a good card reader...I have an old laptop that I might strap to the ATV and check them right there. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
vortex

Re: Camera Location and Checking Trail Cam Pictures

Post by vortex »

I check mine weekly, since there are fresh tracks,I would think that the feeders will be found. As far as your SD cards, I have an extra set and swap them out each time I check the cams, then view them at home on my computer. Just remember, once you start getting pics, your hooked :lol:

Excalibur Vortex
Vari-Zone Scope
OFAH Member
www.wildcam.ca
www.excaliburcrossbow.com
www.ontariooutofdoors.com
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

You should get action pretty soon I would think if lots of sigh present. I check my cam every 3 days but I am very close to my set. I just take an extra SD card and swap them out and look at the pics at home.
phil

Post by phil »

I too own the wildview camara. The easiest way is what was said above and just switch the sd cards out. Or i bring my digital camara out and use that as my reader. Works very well....then i just format card and put back into Wildview. ( be prepared to go thru a lot of batteries in the colder weather )
As for time to switch areas, i would say maybe 2 weeks but it depends on food source changes etc.
....Work To Live....Live To Hunt
pbearmawno

Post by pbearmawno »

I used some Panasonic C batteries in the Wildview camera, brand new but cheaper brand and they did not last the week. Will the camera continue taking pictures even when the red light is on? Hmm...