Solar power

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Solar power

Post by Boo »

Doe here anyone here have any good experience with any installers of solar energy hardware in southern Ontario? I am considering solar electricity because the creeps at Hydro One want to charge us 10 bazillion dollars to install 4 poles along the road to my driveway and then I pay for more poles and wires to my barn! Then they want to charge us $3.00 per meter for an estimate! :shock:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
sumner4991

Re: Solar power

Post by sumner4991 »

I saw a gal on CBS or NBC . . .may have been Good Morning America . . .anyway, they had a rental deal on solar panels. The panels produced enough energy to pay for themselves . . .or close to it. LOL

Anyway, does this apply to you? http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2 ... ls232.html
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
carvedtip

Post by carvedtip »

What are the wind conditions at the site?

Wind mills are becoming more and more viable for generating electricity.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Use solar panels to charge storage batteries and an inverter to convert it to AC for lights & small appliances (would be limited to fairly low wattage applications) with a generator backup to re-charge the batteries.

You could even use propane for things like refrigeration, hot water, and the generator.
Even propane lighting could be installed. (A lot of the Amish here use it. :wink: )

Natural gas would be a cheaper option if it were available.
wabi
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I don't know any installers up there. I live totally off grid & its tuff, specially during the summer heat needing ac. Wind powered gen. is the best set=up as its more reasonable if you have constant wind. Solar is good but costly if yer needing more than 50 amps yer battery banks will be 1000 amps, golf cart or big forklift batterys. I run the gen. gas powered fuel during summer $250 a month. My 2.7cu propane fridge uses a 30 lb cyl. monthly, actually you maynot like what i will say but commercial power over the long haul is cheaper. Unlees wind/solar & count wintertime low sun hrs. Talk to me son :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

Sounds a little Steep Boo. But be careful with the solars. Have you got an estimate on the equipment alone? See what your payback time would be. I hear they have a lot of issues, but that's only hearsay.
In the Wind.......
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

What ya want to know about it Boo. I install solar.
secret

Post by secret »

Boo, go with wind power! this way when you generate more power than you use the power company has to buy it from you.[you get a check instead of bill] ] then your off the grid.
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
bigsy

Post by bigsy »

secret wrote:Boo, go with wind power! this way when you generate more power than you use the power company has to buy it from you.[you get a check instead of bill] ] then your off the grid.
sounds like boo's property is off grid, so the poles and wires would have to be istalled to have hydro buy from him
"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak." Ted Nuget

Wabi call to bring them close,
Exomax with Boo string projecting Big John bolts, to bring them home
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

Is there a creek nearby, you could make a waterwheel....
In the Wind.......
hotburn

Post by hotburn »

Boo.. Dow is just releasing to the market this year a solar shingle that any general roofer can install on a house. They are designed to be a alternative to the traditional 2*4 glass encapsulated panels that are costly. They are supposed to have a thirty year warranty on them and have a a lot shorter pay back time compared to the traditional panels. The availability is limited in 2010, but is supposed to be ramped up in 2011. Think I mentioned this in past talks, but I work for Dow and we make some of the substrates that go into this panel, that is how I know about these. Do a search on the net for Dow Solar Shingles

Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

Boo....you got alot of figuring to do. Tricky stuff here.

BTW- why does a man on a roof need a helmet ?
Just an over informed newbie with a misinformation spreading disorder- and a Vortex
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Undertaker wrote:Boo....you got alot of figuring to do. Tricky stuff here.

BTW- why does a man on a roof need a helmet ?

Meteors :lol:

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Undertaker wrote:BTW- why does a man on a roof need a helmet ?
Because in Canada it's the law. Get caught onsite without one you get fined!!!!!!
Boo

Post by Boo »

wheelie wrote:
Undertaker wrote:BTW- why does a man on a roof need a helmet ?
Because in Canada it's the law. Get caught onsite without one you get fined!!!!!!
Get hurt and try to talk to Workman's Compensation too. The employer and supervisors will get fines too. Sometimes my guys are idiots and do things like use the grinder or wire wheel without safety glasses. I have no other choice but to shut off the machine and tell them to either put on safety glass or go home.
Some people just like stepping on rakes