stirrup

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

rt2bowhunter

stirrup

Post by rt2bowhunter »

Looking at the post that has the rope stirrup on the bow. Got me to thinking could a fellow use one on a Ibex. Then use that bow with the Bullhead BH's the ones that cut there heads off?
blackjack

Re: stirrup

Post by blackjack »

g'day l made a rope stirrup for a mate next door he's got a old Barnett about 150 lb because he never had a stirrup on it but its low power bow the rope stirrup worked ok but the ibex is a different kettle of fish the ibex is 175 lb real poundage lb 150 lb in an old barnette is like 100 lb excal if you no what l mean, man if that rope cuts lose you could die if it hits you in the head, up to you. regards frank
JUST FIGHTING TO SURVIVE..
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

A while back some brilliant guy put a hinge system on his stirrup, his goal was to use the Gobbler Guilutine broadheads. He succeeded.
Once the bow was cocked the stirrup simply folded under the bow. I wouldn't know where to look for that picture anymore, it likely disappeared with the forum change.
Just goes to show, where there is a will and a need, there is a way! A mill at home probably helps though.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

Thanks guys, I Thought about the what ifs. And i agree if the rope would break. Ouch would be the under statement of all times. I think i remember seeing the hinge stirrup. If i try the head chopper offers :D . I might just use the crank and take the stirrup off. Or a longer arrow might be the ticket.
Chuck Gravel

Post by Chuck Gravel »

pydpiper: is this the one your think of?

http://www.crossbownation.com/forum2/to ... entry71149
Excalibur Equinox
Lumi-Zone
Viper-X- Strings
NGSS (newguy)
vortex pro extreme 125
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Chuck Gravel wrote:pydpiper: is this the one your think of?

http://www.crossbownation.com/forum2/to ... entry71149
No, but that is pretty cool too. The one I was thinking of had well machined hinges on it, folded up.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
AndreTTOW

Post by AndreTTOW »

Could use metal cable instead of rope...doubt you'd be able to break that :shock:
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. - Honourable John Gilbert "Jack" Layton (July 18, 1950 – August 22, 2011)
wabi

Post by wabi »

AndreTTOW wrote:Could use metal cable instead of rope...doubt you'd be able to break that :shock:
Or use a rope that's as strong as steel cable but 1/7th the weight. :wink:
I've used amsteel from redden marine for hammock suspension. You aren't going to break it. :shock:
link to amsteel at redden marine
wabi
AndreTTOW

Post by AndreTTOW »

wabi wrote:
AndreTTOW wrote:Could use metal cable instead of rope...doubt you'd be able to break that :shock:
Or use a rope that's as strong as steel cable but 1/7th the weight. :wink:
I've used amsteel from redden marine for hammock suspension. You aren't going to break it. :shock:
link to amsteel at redden marine
Very cool! 8)
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. - Honourable John Gilbert "Jack" Layton (July 18, 1950 – August 22, 2011)
ch312

Post by ch312 »

i use amsteel synthetic winch cable on my atv and i'll never use steel again. i might just have to sacrifice a foot or two to put on the exomax. its even olive green 8) :lol:

but, what if you didn't notice that a broadhead sliced the rope just enough... :shock:
Isis

Post by Isis »

Here are the pics of my hinged stirrup for those interested.

wabi

Post by wabi »

Just got some of the dyneema® Zing-It cord by Samson today for making a structural ridge line for a hammock. This is the same material the larger diameter amsteel line is made of.
This line (1.8mm) is about the thickness of a quarter, has an average breaking strength of 500# (230Kg) and a minimum breaking strength of 450# (200Kg).

Some of the new fibers would be very capable of making a stirrup for a crossbow. I'd think it is probably stronger than the aluminum stirrup as far as actual breaking strength, but it can be easily cut with a sharp knife, so broadheads would present a possible safety hazard. :wink:
zing it.JPG
wabi
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Having had a METAL stirrup break while cocking in tree stand (not Excal) I'm not even going there. That HURT! !!
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!