*SCOPE STRESS* hELP PLEASE..

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

JB2010

*SCOPE STRESS* hELP PLEASE..

Post by JB2010 »

I am new to the forum. I live in Alabama where they just made it legal for us to use scopes with any magnification. They did put it in at the last minute and hardly anyone has any scopes. I am going to have to buy one online and go based solely on reviews. Here are my choices** Lumizone, Hawke sr ir, Hawke XB30. I also like the new pinpoint scope but I think it's outa my range. Maybe next year on that one. Can I get some help with my choice. PLEASE!!
BTW, I shoot an Exomax.
Matrix 380
Nikon 3-9x40 with HHA Optimizer.
Deluxe Munch Mount
FIREBOLTS W/BRASS INSERTS, LUMENOCKS
100gr GRIM REAPERS 1 3/4 cut
one shot scott

Re: *SCOPE STRESS* hELP PLEASE..

Post by one shot scott »

Welcome to the forum!

I can only speak for excals lumizone and varizone, both are good scopes. They had a few problems with the lumizones a few years back but have claered that up now. I started with a varizone and upgraded to a lumizone for target shooting at night and like it, its all I need on my bow. Some here use the Hawkes, they will give you their input but from Ive read they are a good scope too.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I found the Lumi heavy & big so i went back to the Varizone. The Illumintion did nothing for me during any part of shooting light. I had an SR if you like rings its ok if x-hairs the map is better. The other 2 i never owned nor tried
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:) First off Welcome to the Forum :)
The lumizone is heavier but has a slight edge in light gathering ability do to the larger objective . But if you are like any other person on this planet you will leave the switch on at some point and drain the battery . CARRY A SPARE . :)
The varizone is lighter but as stated gathers enough light anyways during legal hunting hours .
I use a Varizone on my bow and have never had a problem seeing deer in the swamps where I hunt . :)
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Another vote for the V-zone. I too am not familiar w/ any Hawkes, the reticules are too cluttered for me.

The 'zone' scopes Excal offers have the ability to be adjustable poi down range, a feature I'm unsure of on the others you mentioned. That's a big selling point for me.

Both have lifetime warranties too.

Welcome to the forum, have fun!
"Eze 18:21"
JB2010

Post by JB2010 »

Thx guys, I think I might try the varizone this year and see how i like it. If I dont I will put it on my wifes bow and get another next year. Thx again for the input.
Matrix 380
Nikon 3-9x40 with HHA Optimizer.
Deluxe Munch Mount
FIREBOLTS W/BRASS INSERTS, LUMENOCKS
100gr GRIM REAPERS 1 3/4 cut
wabi

Post by wabi »

3-D & targets - VariZone
Hunting - Leupold

Call Danny Miller (740) 483-2312 and discuss it with him. :wink:
(he may still be on a hunting trip, so he might not be available for a few days ????)
wabi
xbowholic

Post by xbowholic »

Welcome; you are connected to the best crossbow forum on earth; alot of very knowledgeable people here; I vote for the vari-zone; I hunt with the phoenix and never had a problem with mine;
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I perfer the Lumizone, even though I have the varizone on my hunting set-up . . .I'll get around to switching that at some point.

Really, @ 50 yards and less . . .it doesn't take a high dollar scope.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

I am drooling over the Hawke XB30. This may be the ultimate CB scope. Fully multi-coated optics, nitrogen purged, illuminated crosshairs in green and red. Built in range finding brackets that they say are easy to use. 30mm objective lens for better light gathering, and it comes with its own rings. This one has all the goodies. It goes about $280.00 but I've seen em for $240.00 I'm a "buy the right one the first time" guy, and this is the right one. It will be on my Exomax before opening day here in MI. (I'm selling a Kidney on E-bay to get it.)
In the Wind.......
Boo

Post by Boo »

See4miles wrote:I am drooling over the Hawke XB30. This may be the ultimate CB scope. Fully multi-coated optics, nitrogen purged, illuminated crosshairs in green and red. Built in range finding brackets that they say are easy to use. 30mm objective lens for better light gathering, and it comes with its own rings. This one has all the goodies. It goes about $280.00 but I've seen em for $240.00 I'm a "buy the right one the first time" guy, and this is the right one. It will be on my Exomax before opening day here in MI. (I'm selling a Kidney on E-bay to get it.)
The one thing it does not have is a zoom to adjust for different arrow weights and or speeds. It is a good scope but you will not be able to think in terms of 20,30,40 yards. You may have to think 18, 28 and 38 yards. The lack of a zoom feature leaves it short of being the ultimate crossbow scope. The mount that it comes with is very heavy. Good scope but there are drawbacks. Yes I have one and I much prefer a single, uncluttered crosshair.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
M&M

Post by M&M »

I am currently on my third varizone scope and it will be my last one. the first one fogged up real bad inside on the second hunt with it. and my dealer replaced it. I finished that season and the next with it and then the following season it would not hold zero so I got another one if it goes bad I will use something else. I am dissapointed that excalibur who makes super high quality crossbows puts their name on a poor product. I have asked in the past and got no answer as to who makes the varizone scope for excalibur. I think there are other scopes out there of better quality in the same price range. this is just my experience and it may vary from others but I thought you should know. there is a wealth of knowledge here from the members on the forum I know I have learned a lot from them. welcom to the forum
M&M
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

Welcome to the forum!

I use the Varizone... But, IMHO, for hunting there is no need for scopes on Excalibur crossbows. A peep and maybe even just a single pin and you'd be good to go 0 to 30 yards.

Bill K.
TPM

Post by TPM »

I use the Varizone... But, IMHO, for hunting there is no need for scopes on Excalibur crossbows. A peep and maybe even just a single pin and you'd be good to go 0 to 30 yards.
I hunted one season with the peep sights and I agree, for most of the day it's an adequate system but in low light they're pretty useless. A scope is much better for extending shooting opportunities at first and last light.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

If for nothing more than the first and last 15 minutes of light, a scope is worth its weight in gold.
In the Wind.......