Fed up with Lumizone - have to find an alternative scope

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bowster

Fed up with Lumizone - have to find an alternative scope

Post by Bowster »

I made the mistake last year of "upgrading" to the Lumizone scope from the Verizone.

I wish I never made the change.

3 weeks ago had moisture in the scope and this one was replaced.

Was out yesterday hoping to finetune for Moose trip in 24 days and was fine at 20 yards. Stepped back to 40 and every shot is about 6 inches low. Adjusted the speed ring and the POI didn't change no matter how much I adjusted it.

When is Excalibur going to put their name on a scope with some reliability.

I would go with the fiberoptic sight but want better accuracy out to 50 yards for moose.

Just had to get this off my chest.
If the thrill of the hunt is lost, then I have lost.

Phoenix - Varizone Scope - Custom GT Laser II - 100 grain Slicks / brass inserts - Boo string

PSE Axe 6 - Axcel Sight - QAD Rest - TruBall S1 Release
frank25

Re: Fed up with Lumizone - have to find an alternative scope

Post by frank25 »

i switched from a varizone to a lumizone bad mistake at 20 dead on at 30 dead on 40 an 50 forget it its all over 6 inches to the left 8 inches high next shot 4 inches low and to the right its a mess putting the varizone back on
Bowster

Post by Bowster »

I still have the Verizone as well.

That will likely be my next move.

Phoenix - Varizone Scope - Custom GT Laser II - 100 grain Slicks / brass inserts - Boo string

bearclan

Post by bearclan »

i pulled the lumizone off my rig and installed an Vortex Crossfire scope - compact illuminated reticle really nice piece, uncle fester can hook u up with one
09 Exocet 200
Vortex Crossbow scope
D- lux Munch mount
Big John's Custom Arrows
STS
Bowster

Post by Bowster »

bearclan wrote:i pulled the lumizone off my rig and installed an Vortex Crossfire scope - compact illuminated reticle really nice piece, uncle fester can hook u up with one
I'll have to do some research into these. Thanks for the tip.

one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Bowster wrote:When is Excalibur going to put their name on a scope with some reliability.

Overly harsh I think. Excalibur scopes are great for the money that you pay for them. Yes they had some problems with the lumizones that they say they have fixed now ,but to say they have never made a good scope isnt a fair generalization. I had a lumi go bad on me and they replaced it, FOR FREE!!!!! and I havent had a problem since. For warranty like that you will be paying a hell of alot more for "quality" scope from one of the many scope manufacturers and you will be paying three times the price.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

X2, there's a bunch of both in the field w/ no problems. Small consolation if you have problems I'm sure.

I once returned a V-zone to Danny thinking it might be bad only to find out my dumb buddy was hand cocking off center. I know for a fact, Danny spent months mounting, shooting, trying to sort the defective Lumi's out prior to shipment.

A friend I've done business w/ in Va that rarely frequents this forum called Danny about a bad Lumi and he sent one out that same day. Took the guys cc # and told him he wouldn't charge the card as long as the bum scope got sent back to him.

That's a hard act to follow, eh?
"Eze 18:21"
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

You are right Neil . Try and get a good scope for under 200 now adays .
I have very good scopes on my rifles BUT I pay for that . One scope cost me 1200 and the other alittle less . :shock:
It is not all that often you will get moisture in a lumizone . Varizone yes but not that often in a Lumi .
There is never a hassle getting a scope exchanged from Excalibur neither unlike other manufacturers .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
Bowster

Post by Bowster »

All are entitled to their own opinion.

I agree that Excalibur will and have replaced under warranty.

Maybe a little harsh but I also own 5 sub $200 scopes with no problems even close to this. Maybe its just my luck.

Enough said. My Phoenix will be shooting <1" groups in no time.
Last edited by Bowster on Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boo

Post by Boo »

Bowster wrote:All are entitled to their own opinion.

Maybe a little harsh but I also own 5 sub $200 scopes with no problems even close to this. Maybe its just my luck.

Enough said. My Phoenix will be shooting >1" groups in no time.
You are right, you are entitled to your own opinion and if there is enough demand for a better quality scope we might get it!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
secret

Post by secret »

The only thing that has ever gone wrong with my lumi-zone is the button that turns on lighted crosshairs broke off scope[because it is pressed on they gave me another scope] the 2nd scope shot the same as the first. I cant say anything bad about Excalibur products. I do know there was a batch of bad lumi-zones out there but my local shop did not sell them.[maybee yours did!]
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
M&M

Post by M&M »

just because you put a lifetime warranty on a product doesn't justify poor quality I am on my third varizone and won't get another. I wish you demanded the same level of quality in your scopes you offer as you do with your crossbows the bows are the best so now you put a substandard scope on it, not again. by the way who makes the scopes for excalibur?
M&M
wabi

Post by wabi »

Bowster wrote:All are entitled to their own opinion.

Enough said. My Phoenix will be shooting >1" groups in no time.

It's not only Excalibur that has problems. I went through 3 TenPoint scopes before I gave up and bought a VariZone. Then it developed problems last year. Thought I had it fixed (loose lens) but when I got the Phoenix out this summer it was back to shifting POI randomly.

The Phoenix now wears a Leupold, and I hope it holds up.

A great warranty doesn't mean much to the missed and/or wounded deer because the scope failed. :wink:
wabi
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

These reasons are the main ones behind me not "upgrading" my Axiom scope. You can lots of the same type of stories about how Lumi's crosshairs rotating and some having problems with POI.

I've looked at Hawke and Vortex scopes, but I just hate those additional crosshairs. Looks like it would be easy for a Crossbowman to make a mistake when a deer shows up. I prefer the Ex Cal's chevron's over others.

I imagine that if a lot of Ex Cal owners were having similar problems with their bows, they'd have a different outlook about repeated equipment failure and downtime while you send it back for replacement!

Sure would like to see a top of the line xbow scope without all those crosshairs!
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Granted the Excalibur scopes are not top of the line scopes, that's a given. However, having owned a Maxzone, several Varizones, and two Lumizones, as well as a Hawke Crossbow SR, I've never had any problems with any of them.

Have I been lucky, or is there another reason that my scopes haven't failed ? Perhaps it's the crossbows I use and my setup. I'm not a speed freak, so I've chosen to stick with the slower, but smoother cocking Exomag and Exocet 175. I also use my own custom made strings, but as great as they are, :wink: I don't think they are a factor. However, I do believe the heavier arrows I use do help. Not only are they more stable in flight, but they also absorb more of the bow's stored energy, which otherwise would have to be dissipated through the bow's limbs and its accessories, the scope being one of them.

Just some food for thought. Is it just a coincident, that Wabi started having problems with his scopes only after he switched to the Phoenix which has a forward angled riser ?

If Wabi's Leupold holds up, perhaps the solution for those of you who shoot lighter arrows and own the speedier angled riser Excaliburs, would be to spend extra cash on a more robust scope. :idea:

Another solution would be to buy an Excalibur with a straight riser. Too bad they are no longer manufactured. :(
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.