VA deer sightings???

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Rich

VA deer sightings???

Post by Rich »

I take a daily ride through the local area just about every night checking the local soy bean fields and grassy areas and have noticed a steep decline in the number of deer I have been seeing the past few weeks. The soy bean by my house has not had a deer in it in over 3 weeks now (normally a dozen every night). I have found lots of white oaks dropping acorns in the woods already, do you think this is the reason they may have shifted from their summer patterns. What have you been seeing CF and Wes.

Rich
Last edited by Rich on Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
deerdhunter

Re: VA deer sightings???

Post by deerdhunter »

Last week saw 2 to 8 in the yard about every day. This week not seeing them. I suspect you are correct - acorns beginning to fall. At least I think that is what you meant by 'white dropping' in the woods - maybe you have chickens :D
Rich

Post by Rich »

deerdhunter wrote: At least I think that is what you meant by 'white dropping' in the woods - maybe you have chickens :D
Funny one...........no chickens, I corrected the post. :D

Rich
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

They have all headed down to Ga for the 9/11 opener. I'll send back the ones I don't want so I can hunt them later. :D

I vote for the acorns too.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Rich the last rain we had here turned every thing green in the woods, I'm going to call it browse or new growth, and along with the acorns has kept them in the woods longer, almost all the corn here has been bush hoged so nothing there, the woods is it, check out your honeysuckle it's already being eaten here, most the time it's the last?

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Rich,

I drove around Loudoun County, VA right before dusk today and saw very few deer. I probably saw a dozen total, but for the ground I covered I would normally see fourty. I'm glad to know that it isn't just me. I began to wonder if the hard winter may have taken its toll.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

ive got them all tied up;)

We get kill permits for crop damage every year on one farm. Usually its 60+ deer out there at night. This year its only 10-12 at most. Im not sure whats going on. I have a few good bucks on camera, but nothing like last year. I havent seen the big 3 I know made it last year which should be unreal deer this season. Not sure if they are hiding still and only moved out during the rut or what. Im just not getting the action on camera and sitings I have for years passed. Harvest numbers from last year werent anything to hurt deer growth either so im clueless... im just not pumped about season even starting yet.

im seeing deer but nothing like last year