YET ANOTHER BROADHEAD QUESTION.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

JB2010

YET ANOTHER BROADHEAD QUESTION.

Post by JB2010 »

Has anyone tried hellrazor broadheads? I have tried the bolt cutters and even the firebolts and dont care for either. I thought about using the carbon express mayhem (I think I spelled that right) bolts and I was goint to try either the hellrazor fixed blade or the spitfire xp's (both in 125gr). Has any one tried either of the combos listed or do you see why it would or wouldnt work? I wanted to ask before I spent the money on the wrong stuff. I shoot an exomax.
I also wanted to know if the spitfire broadheads have ever opened early on anyone. I know the exomax give that arrow a big push.
Matrix 380
Nikon 3-9x40 with HHA Optimizer.
Deluxe Munch Mount
FIREBOLTS W/BRASS INSERTS, LUMENOCKS
100gr GRIM REAPERS 1 3/4 cut
Kelley

Re: YET ANOTHER BROADHEAD QUESTION.

Post by Kelley »

Used 100g in my Exomax, now using in my Exocet 200. Never had a premature opening, harvested several deer, all pass-thru.
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

I'd also be interested in knowing if anyone has used hellrazors. I had narrowed down my choices to either the G5's or Hellrazors, mainly because they are COC and have practice heads. I've read lots of reviews that say the Hellrazors come out of the package a lot sharper than the G5's. Just wondering about the performance on animals. Looks like they should be able to handle anything.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I use 100 gr spitfire never had one open early & montec G5 also Snuffer 125 & razortrick 100 gr. All of them seem to kill whatever i hit with them
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
RichJ

Post by RichJ »

I will admit those Hellrazors look BADASS! I have been a fan of expandable heads for the past 20 yrs. I have shot ALOT of diff expandables all the way back to Punchcutters Gotta love a broadhead that shears off boh blades of a 2 blade broadhead on the 1st set of ribs.. If you get good POI vs fieldtips be sure to post the info.I may be interested in coming back to the Darkside if they fly well. I picked up a pack of 2 blade Rage for this year. This is the 1st year using a crossbow instead of a vert bow.

Carbon in the air is a better sight than a full quiver! :shock:
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I have used the Spitfires and love them. I've never had a premature opening, however, I put a dental elastic on all my expandables. Never have an issue with opening(early or late).

The reason I decided to use the elastics . . .no one could tell me how long the spring loaded blades would last. Eventually, all the spring loaded or clip type levers will wear out. Just a matter of how many openings becore it happens.

I perfer the simple lever action like the Hammerheads and Stricknines. Put your elastics on and shoot. :)
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

i dont like the spitfires at all from my experience.. as you can see, everyone likes different things. I just couldnt stand that they dont give you a practice head and you spend 30bucks and have to use one of the hunting heads to practice with. My blades would bend after the hit and you had to put replacement blades back on and I didnt like those small allen head screws! Changing blades was a nightmare for me. Went to rage since they give you a practice head. Granted its also pretty much a 1 shot one kill bhead. Im not replacing blades since its easier for me just to buy a new pack.

G5 has that new expandable out now which looks good for the same price as the rage heads. The only downside ive seen to the rage heads is that you need to check them to make sure the blades are locked into place before the shot. Thats no big deal to me since I always check my bhead before the shot to make sure its tight and ready to go.

no matter what it will come down to what "you" like and have the best results with:) I will say that throughout my years of hunting rage have grouped and flown the best of any bhead ive shot. The wound is massive and lethal. ill give the G5's a try also since I always like trying and looking for something new and better. Its plenty of great bheads out there and all will do the job though. Im just looking for that extra 1/4th grouping difference :lol:
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I'm using spitfire 100gr heads.I shot a real hunting one into my block and it flies like a field point.They didn't open after hitting my block until the 3rd shot it went completly thru and into the dirt and then it opened.I took it home and sharpened the blades and now it's ready for the real thing!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Spits work well for me but I like the Slicks Tricks for durability, consistence of flight and terminal performance. With them I never have to worry about blades deploying or not.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!