Wildgame Innovations Trail Cam?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

B-Logger

Wildgame Innovations Trail Cam?

Post by B-Logger »

Has anyone tried the IR camera that takes 5.0 meg pixel pictures?

So far I've found little info except that they have slow trigger times and some say poor picture quality.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
huntfishfam

Re: Wildgame Innovations Trail Cam?

Post by huntfishfam »

Try going here www.chasingame.com they do reviews on trail cams.
Sean
I hunt,I fish,I am
Get clean, lean and healthy with isagenix. I can show you how.
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

Thanks Sean. They don't have much there but I tried.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

I don't know how good they are but I bought one today and was logging on to ask some general questions about the settings that I should choose. Dick's had the IR5D with an SD card and 4 "C" batteries on sale for $99.00. Anyhow, I kept it on the default settings and set it on the tailgate or my truck. I got several good pictures of the dogs in the yard. I'll do the same tomorrow see how the pictures look in the daytime. This is my first trail camera so I have nothing to compare it to. I'll post some pictures of Hurricane Earl when he rolls through :wink: .
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

Thanks Ray. This trail cam is actually one my neighbor bought at Dick's and he wanted to know if it was any good before he opened the box. They told him he could return it if it had been unopened. The only thing I've found so far is that it might be slow trigger time and maybe not the best pictures. We'll see.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

B-Logger wrote:So far I've found little info except that they have slow trigger times and some say poor picture quality.
I'd say that a good review of them. I have seen several pictures from them. They have "tunnel vision" bad. The IR pics usually look like someones shining a spot light in the middle of the picture. IMO
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

My WGI x6c will be here tomorrow. Here is a few pics with the 1.3.
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

I agree with Fred bear. my day pictures are great but the night pictures look like your blinding the deer with a spotlight. This is my first camera and it has 3 setting types on it. Would someone help me with this settings? I mean I know to set it to Picture instead of video but under the DELAY option, should I set it in the slowest setting which is 30sec? The other options are 1min, 2min and 5 min. Also, is there a trick to aiming the camera when you set it up. My stand is down a row of small pines with thick under brush. They cut out a shooting lane that is 200 yards long on this spot. due to the thick canopy, it get's dark earlier in the lane than it does in most surrounding areas. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Also, should I buy an extra SD card and just exchange the cards instead of buying a veiwer or taking my laptop to the standsite? I want to try and set it up this weekend.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

I like to put the camera above there eye level. All i do is swap the SD card and get out of there. But im new to this game cam but learning.
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

Well, about a month ago i purchases a IR4 from BPS. Didn't have time to put it up right away, so I socked it back. Today was the day to work for the deer, so I took the camera out and started to set it up. Nothing, nothing at all. I took the batteries back out and checked to make sure they were installed correctly.

Nothing. This thing is as dead as a door nail. I did happen to notice on the front cover, left side, there was a manufacture date of 5/2008. Looks like BPS or WGE was getting rid of old stock.

Packed the camera back up, took it to BPS and exchanged it for a Primos 46. At least this one came on when I put the batteries in. :)
Last edited by OkXbowHunter on Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

Crud, double post....I hate it when that happens!
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Ray, I always put mine out waste high if the lands flat.. it takes sometime to learn and sometimes you put them in bad spots. To high or to low and you miss some decent shots. Thats normal. I like mine on a low delay since bucks travel in groups so you will miss the bigger one in the back of the group.

as for the camera mentioned here.. ive heard good and bad..Its 99 bucks so its not a big investment for what you get. If you get a good enough picture of a buck you didnt know was there, its then worth it and then some;)

dont point at the rising or setting sun.. sometimes its a 50/50 call since its hardly a tree or trail in the perfect location for photos
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

raydaughety wrote:I agree with Fred bear. my day pictures are great but the night pictures look like your blinding the deer with a spotlight. This is my first camera and it has 3 setting types on it. Would someone help me with this settings? I mean I know to set it to Picture instead of video but under the DELAY option, should I set it in the slowest setting which is 30sec? The other options are 1min, 2min and 5 min. Also, is there a trick to aiming the camera when you set it up. My stand is down a row of small pines with thick under brush. They cut out a shooting lane that is 200 yards long on this spot. due to the thick canopy, it get's dark earlier in the lane than it does in most surrounding areas. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Also, should I buy an extra SD card and just exchange the cards instead of buying a veiwer or taking my laptop to the standsite? I want to try and set it up this weekend.
Ray, I hope you get some great pictures.

On the delay, 30 second is great! I wish there were a 10 or 15 second delay!

Generally it works best to aim the camera north or south but I have aimed it right towards the sun and did just fine. However, it was in fairly thick stuff so we got minimal sun at the camera and so far have not had any pictures that needed to be tossed.

Don't try for a side view of the deer. Aim the camera down the trail (as much as possible) rather than across the trail. Otherwise you might get too many pictures with nothing if the deer happen to move fast.

As for aiming, I rarely aim low or hang the camera low. Most times I'll hang the camera anywhere from waist high to shoulder height. I've even mounted once about 12' up in a tree but that was a special situation and it worked too.

When setting the trail cam by a food plot, I'll usually set it about chest high and then it gets pictures from quite some distance out real easy. As for your situation in the pines, there is not much you can do as it will be dark in there. However, remember than very soon most of your pictures will be after dark anyway because the days are getting short rather rapidly now.

I do trade cards in the camera. Quick in and quick out. Look at the pictures at home. Be mindful of scent. Try to leave as little as possible. I usually set my trail cam so I can drive up to it with the atv and do not get off if at all possible. The reason is that the deer here are accustomed to the atv so are not alarmed by it. Heck, many times I've seen deer laying and watching me change the card or batteries.

Even last evening, I finished up planting a couple small food plots around 7:00. When finished with one I took the atv to the other and saw a doe watching me. I loaded up the trailer with everything and headed back the same way. This probably took me 3-5 minutes at most. As I was headed out, the doe was eating and didn't look up until I was past. Then she simply went back to feeding. btw, I use this trick many times while hunting as I'll have my wife take me out and pick me up when done. Very little scent left on the ground and if deer are close, they simply move a little and then come right back.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

I have about a 30' circle bait pile. How far away from the center of the bait should I set up the camera?
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

I step off 10yds and set up my 1.3 and 2.0 WGI That worked pretty good. The x6c WGI will work farther.