Which Bolt? What do you shoot, and why?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

rjgothrup

Which Bolt? What do you shoot, and why?

Post by rjgothrup »

New to Xbow. Started with Excal Firebolts. Seem to shoot just fine... 3 front inserts have came out, now fixed.

I have someone really pushing the Gold Tip bolts...

Not sure whether to stick with Firebolts or shoot Gold Tips.

Looking for experienced feedback on both bolts.
sumner4991

Re: Which Bolt? What do you shoot, and why?

Post by sumner4991 »

I shoot the Thunderbolts/Powerbolts(same arrow). I wanted a little more weight evenly distributed throughout the arrow. I figure it makes for a stronger shaft too, but, that depends on the manufacturing process. However, strength vs. the GoldtipII's . . .I believe the Powerbolts would win.

The shafts are relatively inexpensive. They are durable. They are straight. They are consistant in weight.

I put the arrows together myself. So, if a insert falls out, I know who to blame. :x It's fairly easy. I suggest everyone should make their own. I've got a AZEZ for fletching, a cheapo grain scale, a spin tester and some super glue. I spend about two nights a year refletching and one night every other year making a dozen arrows.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
rjgothrup

Post by rjgothrup »

Ok, again... I am new to this. I take it the Thunderbolt and/or Powerbolt is neither of the bolts I mentioned above? Or are they the same as the Firebolt??? Thanks!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I shoot arrows not bolts, i use GT II's they're very accurate from my Bow. Hit bottle caps at 30 yds on the bench & thats why i use them.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

rjgothrup wrote:Ok, again... I am new to this. I take it the Thunderbolt and/or Powerbolt is neither of the bolts I mentioned above? Or are they the same as the Firebolt??? Thanks!
They are very close to the Firebolt. Not sure, but, one weighs a tad less than the other. I think the Firebolts weigh less. I believe Easton makes all three. The specs on the Thunderbolt and the Powerbolt are identical and Easton makes them both.

I started out with the Gold Tips. They are a good arrow too.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

firebolts are about 25grains lighter so they will be a little quicker... the GT2's will weigh 25grains more of coarse but with brass front inserts they have slightly more weight up front which could result in slightly better flight. Im not sure you would even notice. Both work fine..as for the front inserts, some come out and some dont. Ive used the same glue for years and applied it the same way and every now and then one will pull out. I think that lies alot on the target you shoot into. Those hard walmart 4x4 targets like the front inserts staying in them LOL.

If you shoot enough, something will come off or loosen :lol:

just keep some inserts in hand and some glue and its a simple fix;) Goat tuff glue usually keeps them in though
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I thought there was something about Easton making the Firebolt. A quick search only produced this website . . .

http://www.aiacrossbow.com/accessories/arrows/139/

They show the manufacturer to be Easton.

I use Gorilla Glue for my inserts . . .they will never come out . . .never . . .even if you want them out. Forget about it. Just use a little, the Gorilla Glue expands.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
rjgothrup

Post by rjgothrup »

vixenmaster wrote:I shoot arrows not bolts, i use GT II's they're very accurate from my Bow. Hit bottle caps at 30 yds on the bench & thats why i use them.

What do you mean? I assumes it's a xbow term that arrows are referred to as bolts...
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

which "ARROW" do i shoot ???....easton XX75 camo hunters in 2117 with 110gr brass insert w/two 25gr weights added to the rear of them tipped with 125gr slick tricks....2" blazer vanes with an alum insert trimmed down to 7gr to remove as much weight from the rear of my "ARROWS"....my "ARROWS" weigh 550gr with 106fp of KE and are spot on out to 50yds with those tricks :wink: .........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

What do you mean? I assumes it's a xbow term that arrows are referred to as bolts...

I thought the same thing BOLTS was always the term I heard but I was quickly educated on the forum, crossbows shoot arrows.People on the forum love to get the new guys with that one don't take it personally. :D

I shoot Carbon GT II's as they are the best one to keep the ARROW light I shoot a total weight of 370gr out of my Phoenix.
Last edited by Dereck on Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tenpoint Matrix
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

90% of the venders Basspro, cables, and so on sell bolts to shoot off your xbow, thats what they've been called close to forty yrs that I know of, but folks can call them what they want, arrows or bolts we know what we mean :lol:

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Migabby

Post by Migabby »

This is the one they got me with last year when I was new to crossbows. "In the middle ages, Steel Bolts, made of steel, were shot from Crossbows to penetrate Body Armor".

I switched ARROWS from aluminum to GT II's Got tired of bent shafts. I like the Carbons alot. And you can shoot flies off a target at 20 yards with them.

Migabby
Gold Tips
Slicks
Proud Groundpounder Mount Owner
Proud Boo String Owner
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Migabby wrote:This is the one they got me with last year when I was new to crossbows. "In the middle ages, Steel Bolts, made of steel, were shot from Crossbows to penetrate Body Armor".

I switched ARROWS from aluminum to GT II's Got tired of bent shafts. I like the Carbons alot. And you can shoot flies off a target at 20 yards with them.

Migabby

And those steel bplts had fletchings also, go figure

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Limbs and Bolts wrote:
Migabby wrote:This is the one they got me with last year when I was new to crossbows. "In the middle ages, Steel Bolts, made of steel, were shot from Crossbows to penetrate Body Armor".

Migabby

And those steel bplts had fletchings also, go figure

Wes
Wes . . .based on what I've read and seen . . .the bolt did not have fletchings. Most all of the old drawings show the crossbow shooting a fletchingless projectile. Here is a "modern day bolt" . . .based on the dictionary . . .however, the meanings could have changed over the years, take a look at the word "gay". :lol:

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
TPM

Post by TPM »

Wes . . .based on what I've read and seen . . .the bolt did not have fletchings. Most all of the old drawings show the crossbow shooting a fletchingless projectile.
That is correct. Bolts were typically made of steel, under 10" in length and had no fletching. What we shoot are arrows...
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger