Can't get Blazers to stick!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Can't get Blazers to stick!

Post by Pydpiper »

Been fighting one pack of Blazers, a small bag of white that refuses to adhere to anything. I tried wraps, bare GTII, bare Firebolts with absolutely no luck.
Ditch them or is there a remedy?
More concerned with avoiding this in the future than I am with salvaging these things.
Any thoughts?
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
sumner4991

Re: Can't get Blazers to stick!

Post by sumner4991 »

What adhesive are you using? I had the same issue last year and determined it was the glue I was using. . .must have been a bad batch of glue because I got another tube and it worked just fine. If you have tried the glue and it's good, then call Bohning . . .they will have the answer, they stand behind their product 100%.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I eliminated the glue right away Scott, tried the whole process on every surface before I determined it was the vanes. I have 3 different forms of superglue, all renamed with fancy expensive archery names, the Bohning, then Bohning Platinum.
It's the vanes..
I do not recognize the bag they are in, I usually get all my stuff from the same EBAY guy, this package seems to be different.
Weird.

They are the wifes arrows, I switched to pink and they stick on like crazy with both glues.
Last edited by Pydpiper on Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
Rich

Post by Rich »

I've been using Locktite Gel Control glue for my Blazers and have not had a single one come loose, plus it's less than $3 a tube at Wal-Mart.

Rich
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Some of them i have had to wash in Dawn dish washing detergent. Then i have lightly sanded the bottom with very fine grit sandpaper. Then they would stick if my glue didn't become brittle in the under 20 degree weather
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Johny Sock

Post by Johny Sock »

Hello Pydpiper, Johny Sock here.
I'm new to forum but had same problem last week. Wiped down Blazer foot with Q-tip soaked in Acetone. It worked for me.
The first time I fletched them, the vanes were falling off like Autumn leaves.
I did the pull test, two flo. reds, a flo. green and a white came off. All the glue stayed on wrap, there was no glue on vanes. These were the old blazers from eBay. Are the new ones better?
Last edited by Johny Sock on Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
STS
Lumizone
Johny Sock
Bolt Cutters
The Right Stuff
Excalibur Vortex
Leupold 1000 TBR
Easton 2216 CAMO, bright wraps & bright 2" blazers.
Migabby

Post by Migabby »

New stock Blazers have "Blazer" printed on them. I had trouble last year with a few of the old ones. I chucked them as being too Old. Try Acetone washing the Foot.
Gold Tips
Slicks
Proud Groundpounder Mount Owner
Proud Boo String Owner
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Thanks guys, I considered wiping it down with acetone and/or touching it up with an abrasive like Mike said, but never did anything more than fold the package up and put it away once I realized they were going to fight me.
I guess I should go try that and see, it sure would put my mind to rest.
WMU 91
Boo string
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Just tried 2 more, marked both, one acetone, one acetone and a light sanding.
Neither stuck.
I looks like the glue just wont dry under these vanes, I don't get it. I slap a different vane from a different batch with the same glue and it is rock solid.
WMU 91
Boo string
Normous

Post by Normous »

I thought you tossed that batch?? I remember those, they fell off if you looked at them too hard.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

3 yrs ago i got 2 bags of 36 each from BHSS, They had me doing everything i could think of. Just bad bunch, i remember being up in my climber the morning i shot that 4 pt in Tn. Had 4 arrows in my quiver by the time i got it hoisted up only one arrow had all 3 vanes. I shot the 4 pt with it. I haven't bought anymore since then
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

same issue here with a batch of white vanes... they wouldnt stick at all! I actaully had done 6 arrows up and went to to do the pull vane test on them and they all pulled right off!!!!!! Talk about mad and I thought I had done something wrong. This was with goat tuff glue on wraps. Tried a different vane and they worked fine! It was something on those vanes.. It was a batch of 36 vanes I had ordered. All the rest have worked fine..
Sopchoppy

Post by Sopchoppy »

I've had the same problem. Use Goat Tuff and have had Blazers stick so well, they would tear apart before coming off. Of late, they just pop off, have had one or two come off going through a deer. Some will pull off with the slightest tug. I put a small dab of glue on each end of the vane after fletching, but that has not helped either. Hate to see this happening because they fly great.
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Sopchoppy wrote:I've had the same problem. Use Goat Tuff and have had Blazers stick so well, they would tear apart before coming off. Of late, they just pop off, have had one or two come off going through a deer. Some will pull off with the slightest tug. I put a small dab of glue on each end of the vane after fletching, but that has not helped either. Hate to see this happening because they fly great.

it worried me because if I hadnt of checked I would have sold them to someone. Im sure if it was the glue also. I switched tubes right after that also. Im not taking the chance on it happening but from what I see it had to be those select few vanes.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Gave up on Goat Tuff and Boehning glue long ago. Gorilla Brand crazy glue (blue top) best I've tried. Vanes don't come off. Put on thin layer, close EZ Fletch, applying pressure for about 15 seconds, remove. Let dry couple of hours. Sticks, don't get brittle and crack, so tough arrows fly through target and vanes stick.
Using thin layer and pressure is KEY to using cyanoacralate (crazy glue). Femoval of air in joint makes it stick. Does not sticks well if no pressure is applied.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!