hope the drought isnt causing this

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

hope the drought isnt causing this

Post by crazyfarmer »

found a little 4pt in velvet this morning way back in the woods when hanging a stand.. No marks where any dogs or yotes had caught it. Other than the normal shedding hair look he looked fine. Kinda odd to see a 1.5 year old kick the bucket for no reason. Its extremely DRY here! Trees are starting to drop leaves now.

I would have gotten someone to look at him, but Im not going back about 1mile into the woods again..

just passing the info along to keep a eye out on the deer herds... If I see any others like that someone will have to look into it.
agingcrossbower

Re: hope the drought isnt causing this

Post by agingcrossbower »

Well, I hope its only an isolated incident. You might see an auto hit with no apparent injury to it close to the road, but a mile in is slim at best. Could be natural causes like an anerism. Lots of things it could have been. Hope its the last one you find. :?
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

agingcrossbower wrote:Well, I hope its only an isolated incident. You might see an auto hit with no apparent injury to it close to the road, but a mile in is slim at best. Could be natural causes like an anerism. Lots of things it could have been. Hope its the last one you find. :?

hoping the samething here also.. Ill keep my eyes out since I will be out and about alot this month. If I see or hear about others finding the samething its worth looking into. As said, could have been natural causes.
secret

Post by secret »

Did you check the color of his tongue? Was it blUE? If it was you have EHD in your area.Last year around where i hunt we lost 50% bucks to EHD.After seeing your cam photos i hope that not the case.
Last edited by secret on Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

Blue tongue (midges)?
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

CF, yes, it is very dry in Northern Virginia and the WV panhandle as well. A week ago the low level browse in the woods here looked like they do a few days after a heavy frost. But it hasn't been that cold. Everything is very wilted in the woods at ground level. I can only imagine it is due to the lack of rain. I've had to use the lawn sweeper to pick up leaves three times already. They are falling off the trees due to lack of rain.

Fortunately I have seen a reasonable amount of acorns despite the lack of rain. So there is still plenty of food in this area.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

FredBear wrote:Blue tongue (midges)?
We had Blue Tongue here in IL 4 years ago. Got most of the older bucks and does. The herd is just now starting to get back to normal.
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
vrodman

Post by vrodman »

secret wrote:Did you check the color of his tongue? Was it black? If it was you have CWD in your area.Last year around where i hunt we lost 50% bucks to CWD.After seeing your cam photos i hope that not the case.
I really don't know much about his area but we are on the north/west WV line in VA and just last year was our first confirmed case as far as I know in our county of Frederick in the western part, so I don't think that would be the case.
Vortex
Boo String's
Sure-Fire mounted on front
Firebolts,110 brass inserts,blazers w/100gr.Grim Reapers
Groundpounder mount
STS
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

i didnt check his tongue since he was covered in ticks. I just thought it was odd.. if i see another, ill check the tongue though
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

Epizootic hemorrhagic disease (EHD) hit PA several years ago. this is caused by a fly that dies off after the first frost. We lost a ton of deer. I think your buck had another problem. If you find a lot of deer on creek bottoms I'd be calling the conservation officers.

CWD has not been confirmed in PA