Game Cameras, what do you use? do you like it?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

whdahel

Game Cameras, what do you use? do you like it?

Post by whdahel »

Well, I have been Looking at all the cameras out there, trying to decide if I really need one first of all. My biggest deterrent is that I am afraid of getting it ripped off.

Was looking to spend around $100.

What do you have, How well Does it work, does it have traditional flash or IR, and what did it cost.
I think this lil bit of info could be useful to all.

Thanks for you time. :wink:
frisky

Re: Game Cameras, what do you use? do you like it?

Post by frisky »

I have a Moultrie D40. I would call it "basic" you can see the picture but not a quality picture. :( It does what I want, to see what is there. It uses a regular flash. Night pictures are less quality than daytime ones. :( Batterys last about 2 weeks. IT IS A HOG ON BATTERYS. I use a rechargeable gell cell, rated at 3AH. Can't tell price as it was a gift. Would I buy one.........????
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
kurisu

Post by kurisu »

I have a Wild Game Innovations with a traditional flash (it was about $100) and two Tasco with infrared (they were also $100). The funny thing is that the Tasco is about half the size of the Wild Game and it's taken great pictures during the day and at night. It runs on 4 AA batteries and the WG runs on 4 Cs. All in all, I''d buy two or three more Tascos and would never waste another dime on the WG model.
roly

Post by roly »

I also use a low end Moultrie
It does just what I need , not the best quality but takes a pic
and for $99 it's ok

Just bought a Truth Cam , don't have it out yet so i can't say if it's any good
or not. Very simple to set up. was about $130.
I have not heard to may good things said about WG's, I have never owned one
so I don't know for sure
prossbow

Post by prossbow »

I use the Moultrie d40 and I just bought a Moultrie d55 IR to set up my brother-in-law's spot while he is in Afghanistan (hoping he'll be back with some of our season left) and I am pleased with both of them. I have been running the D40 for 2 or 3 seasons and it takes 6 dcells but it lasts a very long time (approx 1500ish pics) and the D55 is infrared and takes 6 ccells and has been out for a few weeks and has taken a couple hundred pics and is still on 95%.

The D40 was around 100 bucks (Canadian) and the D55 I just paid 139 for it.

D40

D55

The chopped parts are our names - no offense intended - Just internet security.
Husband of one, Father of two, Brother of three, Friend of many.

2017 Micro Suppressor
2009 Vortex
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

for around 100 bucks your only decent option would be the Moultrie lineup. They are hit and miss.. some love them and others cant stand them. It takes a picture and thats what you get.

bushnell makes a trophy cam and the older 5mp model is 139bucks now. Newer 8mp model is 199.99.

I like the cuddeback captures, but again those are above your budget at 175 dollars.

the truth cam by primos is out and its a basic camera that takes images.. usually all the 100 dollar range cams have extremely white or bright images. But again, you still get a image.

goodluck and its like a candy store of cams out there
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

I took a new Wild Game IR4 out of the package last week and it wouldn't even power up. I did notice on the inside of the front cover that it was manufactured in May of '08 :shock:

Took it back to Bass Pro and bought a Primos 46. So far this has been a good camera. The only down side is that the pics during the transition period between morning and dusk can be awful white.

My experience along with some others on the Internet, including the people over at chasingame.com, says that these units have a hard time adjusting when put in a location where there's a lot of overhead cover. They'd probably work better on the edge of a field or where more light gets into the woods.

The Primos 35 is about $100 and is getting good reviews.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
catcher

Post by catcher »

I have a spypoint and love it, it has taken over 15,000 pictures for me and is great. Stay away from Stealth I have had nothing but problems with their cameras. The first one I had it would kill the batteries in 2 days, so it went back. The next which took 4 months for them to replace the first camera with would not take night time pics. So it went back, then the one I have now which took 2 months to get back will not take clear night pics as well. It is an Ir model and good luck trying to get through to technical help it is always busy. No wonder it is busy they make junk and are constantly on the phone helping people with their problems.
Matrix Blackout 380
TriggerTech
Phoenix
STS
Boo custom strings
wabi

Post by wabi »

Bushnell Trophy Cam (5MP model).
Put lithium batteries in it this year and it's been going for well over a month now (100+ pics/day) and still showing full power on the batteries!

Captures an image every deere that goes past! :lol:
wabi
CDN Taxman

Post by CDN Taxman »

I have a low end Wildgame 3.0 with a regular flash that I bought cheap off Ebay.

Unfortunately, I got what I paid for. No night shots at all as the flash whites out the pictures. Tons of day shots with numerous whiteouts as well.

And, a battery HOG!

4 C's that if they last a couple of weeks, you're doing good.

Never recommended by me.

Mike
2008 Excalibur Equinox
Groundpounder Mount
NGSS

Post by bigbuckonly1 »

Just be sure and do not buy the Bushnell trophy cam made in 2010.
Take time to enjoy each & everyday that GOD has given us- be thankful.

Excalibur Vortex
Firebolt Arrows
Rage .125gr. Broadheads
Equalizer Climbing Stand
99% Scent Killer
sipsey

Post by sipsey »

As per my other post I have the Day 6 Plotwatcher which can be had for about $180 to the front door, with a little searching. It is kind of a different concept than triggered cameras in that it takes pics every 5-10 seconds or any other time option one wishes.

My daughter was given a Wildgames camera for Christmas and after many attempts, we never got it to take one photo.

So far the Day 6 cam is working very well, and with a view of at least 100 yds. away, it seems to offer more options. It does not take pics. at night, but my concern is for the daytime pattern.
Exomax
Lumizone
Boo Trigger
Firebolts
125 Stricnines
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I have a Guide Gear cam that was donated to me 4 C batterys every 60 days during warmer months a set every month during temps below 40 degrees. takes good nite & day pic's

Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
vortex

Post by vortex »

I have a Bushnell Trail Sentry, it okay but right now the flash isn't working. I also have a Spy Point IR6 (2010 model) and love it. Battery life is good (only uses 6 "AA" instead of 4 "C" for the Bushnell) Pics and vids are great, plus its made in Canada
Excalibur Vortex
Vari-Zone Scope
OFAH Member
www.wildcam.ca
www.excaliburcrossbow.com
www.ontariooutofdoors.com
AndreTTOW

Post by AndreTTOW »

I'm using the Tasco 5MP IR, cost me 99$ but is now being sold for 89$ :shock:

In my opinion, and this is based on 3 of us getting 4 of these things alltogether, it's great value for the money.

It has pitfalls, like it has trouble with light compensation, early morning sunrise and at sunset (There are just a few minutes where the sunlight is just all wrong for it...so you get a pic...but it's hard to tell what it is without tweaking the pic) Also in VIDEO mode you don't get a time stamp...which sucks. But in PIC mode you do.

But for me, 99$ was a great price for what it does...plus I don't live on the property I hunt...so it can stay there a couple weeks at a time and not get checked...so if somebody decides to mess with it and take it...I'm down 99$ not 300$ AND I haven't changed the batteries yet and it's been a bit over a month. (will be switching them out this weekend though...)
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. - Honourable John Gilbert "Jack" Layton (July 18, 1950 – August 22, 2011)